Contest #203 shortlist ⭐️

28 comments

Friendship Contemporary Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

He died the other day. It was like his day of birth, but in reverse. Party poppers were pulled. He didn’t want his funeral to be anything less than a joy. Everybody he knew was there. They wanted the cocktail sausages on little sticks, and the vol au vents with that mushroom paste that tastes like birth and death in a sauce. The after party was even more fun than the funeral. He got a great send off. He had a lot of friends, and he’d hosted a lot of parties. He used to joke about when he died. He said it would be the cigarettes that killed him, and they did. He asked for party tunes to be played on the day. He had it all worked out so nobody would be sad, and they were – but they didn’t show it. It was like a kids’ birthday party. They even had a bouncy castle. What a weird day. If funerals were like that, I’d be eager to go to all of them. Why are most of them held in stuffy churches with stiff services? It’s like they don’t want to make everyone’s mourning period worse; not Jimmy - he had a sense of humour about everything.

In the hospital, he didn’t like the tubes. He said he only liked to get his fluids in a glass with some rocks. They said everything in his body was failing, as it tends to do when you’re on your way out. He just shrugged and laughed it off, making jokes about his organ donation form being rejected. He didn’t have anything anyone wanted, he said. People used their bodies while they were alive, but his was like a worn-out, third hand shoe – it had taken so much humorous use and abuse. I visited in the hospital, but only once. He didn’t want anyone to come onto the ward. He said it stank of shit and he was surrounded by people that needed their nappies changed. He wasn’t quite ready for the new-born stage again. He could turn anything in life into a party, but not on the ward. The nurses tried to liven up the situation and he gave them his usual witty repartee. But there was too much suffering around him. That was the silly fact. He’d be next – unless he could just shake it off like braving a stubbed toe.

When I saw him, he shouted “yeo, what about you?” across the room – the usual Belfast banter. Nobody raised an eyebrow. They must have been used to his volume and enthusiasm by then. He sat with his feet off the bed, like he was ready to run, any minute - not a feeble granny toilet run either; a marathon-worthy sprint to the next county. He told me to sit down and served me some cordial from the overfilled bedside jug. I drank it out of the plastic cup, tasting antiseptic as I did. Whether it was from the cup or coming to my nostrils through the air, I couldn’t tell. It just tasted like a hospital drink – an alcohol-free tipple, like I was at a kid’s birthday party and someone had dropped something in the juice. I asked Jimmy how he was, and he wafted my comment away.

“Let’s talk about something interesting,” he said.

“I have to talk about my symptoms every time they come over with their clipboard. Nobody wants to know anything else.”

“Do you think you’ll get to go home?” I asked him.

“I’ll make sure of it,” he said. “I’m not expiring in this shithole.”

I laughed. Our eyes connected and that familiar twinkle appeared that I knew so well. The party host was still in there. His mind was a million miles ahead of his body, like a motorbike speeding into the distance, leaving a slow driver chugging along far behind. He told me to get out of the place while I could. I had to anyway: the visiting hours were up. They were only an hour long on that ward. They were probably trying not to tire anyone out too much in case they took their final sleep afterwards. By the looks of things, that would have been a favour to most of them.

I left the ward, hearing Jimmy’s distinctive cackle behind me. He was probably chatting up the nurses – looking for the next bit of entertainment. That’s all life was about to him. When he died a week later, I was shocked. I should have seen it coming, but you can never get ready for something like that. He’d checked himself out of hospital before that. He told them if they didn’t remove the tubes, he’d do it himself and it wouldn’t be pretty. He said he had to attend to his affairs, which was code for “fuck hospital; I’m going home.” A friend found him in his house days later, face down on the floor. He looked unrecognisable; he didn’t look like he’d been laughing when it happened.

After the funeral, I got a strange piece of news. He’d left everything to me in his will. His physical possessions didn’t amount to much, but he had a hefty sum stored in the bank. That was a surprise to me; I’d always thought he was a spend-as-you-go type of person. Why he left it solely to me, I’ll never understand, but I didn’t get to jump for joy too soon. I was in mourning, and there was the funeral to attend to. That was the trade off – I got the money, but I had to arrange the whole thing. Still, I was honoured he entrusted it with me. He always said I could throw a party almost as good as his.

Another week passed and I had a knock at the door. I thought it was the postman. I’d ordered a few things I needed, and we always had a yarn at the door when he arrived with the pretty parcels and the bad bills. I was taken aback when I saw who it was. It was a lady I knew that used to hang around Jimmy all the time. He described her as a “funny bird,” and she was. She didn’t have any social skills, but she insisted on always being there. She’d taken a shine to him, and she never accepted it wasn’t mutual. Jimmy could have flirted with a lamppost anyway. His wit didn’t mean anything deeper, but she was sure it did. She looked older than us and frail – the type of person that couldn’t make two knitting needles work together, but impressions are often wrong. She plunged the knife into my chest, repeatedly and without mercy.

“You took everything of his,” she yelled. The usual tremor in her hand and in her voice were gone. She was like a different person.

“You took what he should have left to me.”

She stabbed me until the neighbours saw and called emergency services. Thankfully, they weren’t too far away. They bundled her into the backseat of their car, locking her in, like a kid that needs child locks on the doors. As the wheeled me into the back of the ambulance on a stretcher, I laughed to myself. The whole situation was just so typically Jimmy. 

June 17, 2023 08:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Mary Bendickson
16:10 Jun 17, 2023

Oh!😲😂😭laughing and crying. And the MC took it all so well! Well, it was put together well! After all! Kind of knocking the very funeral they planned. Appearing like a casual friend then inheriting it all. The unexpected knife yielding jilted maniac... Thanks 🙏 for liking my story. Congrats on shortlist!

Reply

Keelan LaForge
18:18 Jun 17, 2023

Aw thanks so much for taking the time to read mine and comment too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
22:31 Jun 25, 2023

Great work with this prompt, super character development here, and basically a good read. Love the description: "tastes like birth and death in a sauce."

Reply

Keelan LaForge
22:52 Jun 25, 2023

Thank you so much. I’m glad you liked the description and thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L J
19:44 Jun 25, 2023

The story ended too soon. It would be interesting to see Jimmy's point of view about his friend being stabbed by this woman that Jimmy knew. Yes, even in his death, he would know what was coming and it would be fun to hear what he had to say. Loved it. Looking forward to reading more submissions!

Reply

Keelan LaForge
21:18 Jun 25, 2023

Aw, thank you so much 😊 you are making me consider writing a sequel lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Colleen Ireland
16:11 Jun 23, 2023

Ack! The story ended too soon; much like Jimmy!

Reply

Keelan LaForge
18:50 Jun 23, 2023

Lol thanks. Hopefully that’s a good sign. Thanks for taking the time to comment 😊

Reply

Colleen Ireland
19:25 Jun 23, 2023

YW and yes, that's a good sign! I wanted the story to keep going!

Reply

Keelan LaForge
21:35 Jun 23, 2023

Aw thank you for the encouragement! X

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
11:13 Jun 23, 2023

Haha didn't see that ending coming! Narrator took it like a badass as well. Nice read. The Jimmy character came through really strongly. So the tie in with the last line was perfectly crafted. Also, kudos on mentioning vol au vents. Don't see enough of those these days 😋

Reply

Keelan LaForge
18:49 Jun 23, 2023

Aw thank you for your kind comments! I’m glad you appreciated the vol au vents too lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
12:59 Jul 02, 2023

Fine work. Congrats.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
13:58 Jul 02, 2023

Thank you so much!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
19:25 Jul 03, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
C. Charles
18:34 Jul 01, 2023

Congrats on the shortlist! Really well done. When you get down to it, this prompt was about just how absurd life is and you really nailed that sentiment.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
06:42 Jul 02, 2023

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the feedback and you taking the time to read the story.

Reply

C. Charles
12:06 Jul 02, 2023

My pleasure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sarah Saleem
12:00 Jul 01, 2023

I didn't see that ending coming! The build up and the writing style are great, the reader feels as if they personally know Jimmy.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
17:13 Jul 01, 2023

Aw I’m glad it was surprising and that you found it believable 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KG Green
17:57 Jun 30, 2023

Great story and not sure what hasn't been already said. Well done on being shortlisted

Reply

Keelan LaForge
18:24 Jun 30, 2023

Thanks so much for the encouragement and for reading 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Siddham
15:17 Jun 24, 2023

Nice story, flowed really well but ended too soon. As others have suggested, tell us more, maybe a sequel about Jimmy’s friend. Well done!

Reply

Keelan LaForge
15:43 Jun 24, 2023

Aw thanks for your feedback! I’m glad to hear you want to read more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
10:37 Jun 24, 2023

And now the sequel, where you write Jimmy’s death from HER point of view! I’ll wait right here. 😃

Reply

Keelan LaForge
11:59 Jun 24, 2023

That’s not a bad idea lol thanks for reading 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
21:57 Jul 13, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Keelan LaForge
05:36 Jul 14, 2023

Aw thank you Joe. I’m glad you enjoyed reading it and didn’t find it to be predictable. I appreciate your kind words 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.