0 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Historical Fiction

Social background was no barrier and many emperors chose concubines from the general public. The women of Shijiazhuang, Hebei Province were no exception to this rule. Even as a town disconnected from the rest of the land, the world even, it holds nothing but the best candidates for the emperors' concubine.

People of the mainland may find it weird though how Shijiazhuang only homes women and no men. It was believed that previous kingdoms have fought over the said land for the luscious yet mysterious fruit tree that only grows on its soil. But Yingjie, the great emperor put a stop to the raging wars over the land. He exiled all men and left women and children. Once a boy grows to a certain age, they are then forced to leave Shijiazhuang. Either the emperor appoints them a position in the army or they work in the farms ‘til the end of their days. It has been decades since this became a known fact in the whole of China. 

And as customary, today marks the day of Emperor Tung’s annual visit. But it’s not just any visit. It’s a visit where he would be finding a new concubine to bed. As required, all ladies 15 years of age and up are to be presented at the main hall and dine with the Emperor. The presentation lasts for nearly a week. One batch of ladies per day gets to spend the whole day with the Emperor.

Mingyu & Daiyu are the twin daughters of old Linh and are already 15 years old. The Emperor’s visit became even more of a hype as the twins are both the prettiest girls of Shijiazhuang, Hebei Province.  But even as twins, it was no secret that old Linh paid more attention towards Mingyu. After all, how can you ignore Mingyu’s bright character? Always emanating an aura perfect for a bride. And what was Siyu but a weak man who came to Mingyu’s every beck and call? 

Siyu is assigned as the Shijiazhuang head soldier, gatekeeper, and watchman. He was appointed by his cousin and current emperor, Tung. He initially thought it was going to be an easy task, with the town consisting of only women. But he was proven wrong in every attempt of Daiyu in escaping Shijiazhuang.

“I need to find my father!” Daiyu would always argue with Mingyu who tries to reason with her twin who has the habit of sneaking out of the town gates.

“No, you do not, Daiyu. What you need is to help mother tend our gardens. But moreso, what you need is to keep yourself clean and pure for the emperor.” Mingyu, unlike her sister, understood her role in society. She followed her dainty mother’s every word. Fed her heart and soul with it.

“I will not let mother brainwash me into thinking that I am nothing but an emperors’ plaything.”

“Are you two girls fighting again?” It was already a routine for old Linh every morning to put a stop to her daughters fighting after tending to the gardens. Adding to that routine would be having to persuade the girls, mainly Daiyu, to take a seat by the window as she ceremoniously combs their long, raven hair.  

“Mother, are you not curious where father was sent?” Daiyu asked one morning while her mother combed her hair.

“No, I do not. And I do not have nor need to know.” She shut her daughter down firmly with one last comb in her hair as she signals for Mingyu to come sit in front of the window next.

“We do not need to know more, Daiyu. Your father is no longer our concern. Our only concern is that the emperor would be visiting in just a matter of days. So do not even try running off again.” Her mother warned Daiyu as she made her way out.

Daiyu was walking aimlessly and unconsciously her steps brought her to Shijiazhuang’s main gates where Siyu was, as usual, standing guard.

“Mingyu, is that you?” Siyu stood with squinted eyes as he tried to figure out which of Old Linh’s twins was approaching him.

Daiyu nearly turned around to go back home instead but thought of pretending to be her twin. Fluttering her eyelashes and adjusting her steps to a more Mingyu-esque, or rather more lady-like, “Why yes, Siyu. I have come to visit.” She moved closer, her feet nearly at the border. Just a few more strides and she can make a run for it. Siyu would surely not run after her as there would be no one left at the gates. She could run a good distance while Siyu calls out for other soldiers. 

“You forget, Mingyu. Or should I say, Daiyu.” Siyu further squinted his eyes at the girl eyeing the land beyond the gates.

“Come on, Siyu. What’s one girl gone from this town? No one ever brings us news from the outside. We don’t know what is happening. Is there war? Is there famine? Since when was there a new emperor?” Daiyu kept firing her questions at him one after the other as she tried to find a way to pass Siyu.

“Daiyu,” Mingyu was walking towards them, hair already in a high rise bun. “Mother calls. It is time for us to go to the center.”

Old Linh’s twins were already of age. And because the emperor Tung would be visiting  in just a matter of days, every candidate was to present themselves in the center for their physical examinations. Each candidate would be for skin infections, body hair, and even body odor. Being a concubine was a meticulous process. After physical examinations, each candidate that passed would be trained and tested for management skills. As a concubine to the emperor, the candidates are expected to have a basic know-how of how the maids attend to their every task. Then they are initiated into forms of acceptable behavior and how to speak, gesture, and walk. They also learned arts such as painting, reading, writing, chess, and dancing.

Lastly, the standout candidates spent several days serving as the emperor’s mother’s maids and taking care of her daily needs. They underwent further inspections while sleeping by the mother’s side to root out any bad nocturnal habits such as snoring, emitting odours, or talking or walking in their sleep.

It is understandable why Daiyu chooses to escape Shijiazhuang. Unlike her mother and her sister, Daiyu did not find her duty as compelling as it is compared to other girls in the town. She preferred to be in the main towns and hear normal gossip. Live in the towns and walk around the market frivolously as she finds herself a book or two to read in her spare time. She prefers to talk to the rogue men, to the soldiers who have seen death rather than stay and wilt as an old lady who, after getting pregnant, would never see the father of her children. She prefers to be able to nurse a son that will not be exiled in town just for the mere fact that he was born a son and not a daughter.

“Tell me, sister. If you were given the opportunity to be the emperor’s new concubine, would you still be as meek as you are right now?” Daiyu asked as she was pulled none to gently by Mingyu towards the center.

“Of course. It is what the center teaches us every day, Daiyu. It is unethical to go against it.” Mingyu firmly grips her sister’s wrist as she feels her trying to twist her way out of Mingyu’s grasp.

“Unethical? That is preposterous, Mingyu. Out of any other town, we are the only ones disconnected from the rest of the kingdom. Possibly even the world.” Daiyu twisted her arm away from her sister’s tight grasp as she stomped her way towards the center, Mingyu following moments after with a heavy sigh.

Mingyu understands her sister and covertly, even agrees with her. But unlike Daiyu, she is scared of what could happen to her family if she too tries to escape every waking hour. Mingyu has seen what Siyu can and will do. Daiyu is not the only one who wishes to escape. There was another woman - Huilang - who was a few years ahead of them, who also tried to escape. 

___

One night, Mingyu was out in the streets, walking idly when she heard a muffled scream by the small valley that leads further out into the main towns of the kingdom. Hiding in the bush, Mingyu sat and waited for the commotion to quiet down. A shadow walked past her hiding spot and then there was complete silence, save for the gushing of the stream. She waited a little longer and only decided to stand once her thighs started to ache from supporting her weight.

“Mingyu, what are you doing out at this late hour?” It was Siyu. He was standing, waiting for her, a bloody handkerchief haphazardly hidden in the seams of his sleeves.

“I- I was just- I was strolling. I- couldn’t, uh sleep.” Mingyu was stuttering but not due to the cold but because of Siyu’s unusual cold stare. 

Siyu nodded, a slight frown forming, and cleared his throat, “Alright then. May I escort you back, Mingyu?”

“Of course Siyu. Thank you.” Mingyu held on to Siyu’s arm as she was led away from the valley. 

As Mingyu arrives back home, she locks the doors securely after Siyu leaves with a light kiss on her hand. Breathing heavily, she looks over at her twin sister in her usual fitful sleep. Ever since that night, she promised to keep Daiyu away from Siyu and away from the thought of escaping. The ghastly sight of Huilang’s corpse taken away by the stream will haunt her every sleep.

___

Emperor Tung’s litter finally arrives in Shijiazhuang, Hebei Province. As usual, he is led to the center where the new candidates are already waiting in the dining hall. The day would start with a special meal before each lady had their allotted time of walking around the town with the emperor. Meanwhile, the ladies in waiting can either have tea or the expected chit chat and gossip with one another. 

But neither scenario was the case for Old Linh’s twins. The two were too preoccupied in their own thoughts to notice that they were the last two remaining. 

“Sister,” Mingyu gently calls to Daiyu. “Whatever happens, do not try to escape. Be it the palace or Shijiazhuang. Promise me, please sister.” She was already desperate because there was a big chance that emperor Tung would choose her instead of her wayward sister. Although she is all about the proper ethics, Mingyu was scared to leave. She did not trust Siyu one bit, not after that dreadful night in the valley.

“And if I do not heed your advice, sister?” Daiyu was stubborn as ever and Mingyu was frustrated. Ever since that night, Siyu was often having meals over at their house. She could not find the chance to tell her mother and sister what she had seen of how Huilang was killed by Siyu just for escaping. Her worry is not just the worry of Daiyu getting lost in bigger towns. But it was the fear of death. Moreso, it was the fear of wanting to escape but having nowhere to go.

“Lady Mingyu.” One of the emperor’s maids in waiting called out. It was finally Mingyu’s turn. Her fear was heightened by the fact that Siyu would be left with Daiyu in the dining hall. She is scared that her sister might think of escaping unexpectedly. But she knew that her duty as a candidate was also important. If she does become Emperor Tung’s new concubine, then be it. The other candidates were already experiencing their dismay at how the Emperor rarely looked their way the whole time they were having a meal because he was too mesmerized by the fluttering of lashes of the twins. It was either Mingyu or Daiyu. But everyone easily deduced that it would be Mingyu, because Daiyu was obviously turning her attention away from the emperor every chance she got. 

“I think I have already found my newest jade.” Emperor Tung stated as he escorted Mingyu back to the dining hall where the other girls were talking in hushed voices. Indeed, their hunch was right. The emperor has chosen.

“I am honored, Emperor Tung.” Mingyu bowed while the other ladies in the room clapped. She slightly turns her head to where her sister was clapping joyfully and tearfully hopes that once she leaves, Daiyu remains safe and away from Siyu’s ever dark gaze. 

October 11, 2021 14:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.