0 comments

Drama

 

Michael Wall finished his coffee. He was ready for his first day of work. The newest Literature Professor at State University checked himself in the mirror before heading out of the house to his new job.

The past year had been a fortunate one for him. His latest book, his second, had become a bestseller. Like other bestsellers before his, this one also boosted sales of his previous book. Readers and critics alike felt his sophomore effort was head-and-shoulders above his first but that didn’t stop people from wanting to see what else he had done. To some, especially the bookworms of the world, this was the next biggest thing. It was important to the “Literaries” of the world that they kept up with any up-and-coming writers. No one wants to be the last to find out about the next great author.

A bestselling book meant a lot of things to Michael. It meant his royalties would pay off the advance that had allowed him to stay home and write the book. Paying off the advance meant keeping whatever royalties were still coming in from the copies being sold and there were plenty of copies being sold. So many copies that State University had noticed what was going on in their own backyard. One of SU’s Alumni had made good and what better way to attract more students than to have another bestselling author on its campus. The English Department at State was well-known far and wide for the faculty. The full-time faculty and the visiting lecturers made up an impressive catalogue of novels. Fiction, historical fiction, fantasy. Books that were bestsellers across the country. It benefitted both Michael and the school that there should be an opening in the department. Michael was about to start a third novel. He didn’t want to lose whatever momentum he had. He was beginning to outline his book when he heard through word-of-mouth that his Alma Mater was looking for a part-time teacher in the English Department. He lived close enough to SU that he could walk to campus and the schedule would fit perfectly with his lifestyle. He could lecture, advise students and still have time to work on his new book. State could tell students about the newest addition to their prized department. Michael could use the new position for a little more publicity.

Of course, that wasn’t why he was doing it. He did it because he loved teaching. He loved helping young writers who were on the same track he was at one point in his life. Michael loved sports. He loved the stories of players who were nobody. People like Mike Piazza and Tom Brady who somehow got ignored in the draft and went on to become All-Stars in their respective fields. Michael had been around long enough to know sometimes all someone needed was a little guidance. If Michael could be the person to give that guidance, that was another bonus.

Speaking of bonuses, the biggest one for Michael was being able to meet the other bestselling writers in the department. He was mostly looking forward to David Day. Professor Day was his favorite professor when he was a student. David Day had more bestsellers written than any two professors combined. Michael looked forward to every chance he got to sit down with Professor Day. He picked the Professor’s brain as much as he could when he sat down with him.

Michael got to the campus early. He had a couple of hours before he had to be at his class. He knew where the department was. He wanted to make sure he was prepared and had everything he needed for Literature 101. He had already chosen the books he wanted to cover for the semester. Dickens. Miller. Cervantes. Twain. Dumas. He wanted authors and books that students had already heard of. He didn’t want to intimidate or scare off any future writers. He would leave that to the teachers of the more advanced courses.

He got to the department and checked his mailbox. He wanted to make sure there were no messages (surprises) waiting for him on the first day of classes. He went to his desk and grabbed his copy of “The Great Gatsby”. Michael wanted to start with something that students had already heard of and still be possibly challenged by.

“Mr. Wall,” Michael heard a voice behind him say. It was Eileen Lamm, the chair of the department. Eileen was famous for her historical fiction novels that were based in World War I. Her tales of espionage sprinkled with a little romance attracted all kinds of readers.

“Are you ready to start your first day?” Eileen asked.

“Yes. I think I am,” Michael said.

“I saw your syllabus,” Eileen said. “I must say it’s a rather interesting selection for a Freshman Literature class. Rather simplistic and not very challenging if you ask me.”

“Well,” Michael said, rather surprised by Eileen’s comment, “These are freshmen and I want to keep their interest this semester. I don’t want to inundate them with something that seems overly difficult.”

“Yes,” Eileen said, “I can understand that, but I would think “Gatsby” would be something more suited for a high school class. Not a college. And did I see “Death of a Salesman” listed in your curriculum?

“You did,” Michael said with a smile. That play has always fascinated me. Every time I read it; I feel like there’s something I’m getting out of it for the first time.”

“Hmm,” Eileen said. “I suppose this is you’re first time teaching. This is a job you can grow into, so take this as a little constructive criticism for the future.”

Michael was unsure of himself for the first time that day. He thought he was doing students a favor by introducing them to the Classics. He didn’t think he was assigning material that was below a college-level class.

“Good morning, professors,” someone said. Michael turned around and saw Karen Rawlinson. Karen not only had multiple bestsellers, but had managed to create two successful fictional series, one of which was in preproduction for a primetime television series.

Karen walked up to Michael. “Hi,” she said. “Karen Rawlinson.”

“Michael Wall,” Michael said as the two shook hands.

“Mmhmm,” Karen said. “You must be our new professor.”

“I am,” Michael said.

“I heard you were assigning ‘Death of a Salesman’.”

“Yes,” Michael said.

“Well,” Karen said. “Everyone makes some kind of ‘rookie mistake’. I guess this is yours. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. There’s always next semester.”

Michael was confused. He didn’t see the problem with the play. “What exactly is wrong with ‘Death of a Salesman’?” he asked. Eileen chuckled at his question

“Michael,” Karen said, “Our department prides itself in being one of the finest in the nation. Stories like ‘Salesman’ aren’t bad ones but they are “old hat”. We’re looking for stories that are new. Stories that are fresh. Those are the stories that people talk about. Those are the stories that win awards. Stories that make people want to read.”

“Reading is a lost art,” Eileen said, shaking her head. “Almost like writing. Hemingway is rolling in his grave right now. Stories like his are losing out to the reality “drivel” on television these days.”

“I don’t mean to put down Miller, God rest his soul,” Karen said. “It’s just that he and his plays are already well known and discussed over and over.” Karen rolled her eyes. “There are so many other works and writers out there. Everyone has read and watched ‘Death of a Salesman’ over again. There are so many other men and women for students to discover.

“You’re teaching a freshman class, Mr. Wall,” Eileen added. “This is a chance to introduce them to exciting and fresh stories and ideas. ‘Death of a Salesman’ takes away from that chance and turns their young minds off because it’s another story that they’ve already heard of and, well, most of these students are already bored. Wouldn’t you agree?”

“Respectfully, no,” Michael replied to the ladies. “I find ‘Death of a Salesman’ to be one of the most fascinating works, dramatic or otherwise. Every time I read it, there is so much I get out of it that I didn’t get the last time. I’m fascinated by the dynamics of Willy Loman’s relationship with his sons. His marriage. His self-delusions and the delusions he passes on to his sons. Biff throwing away his future because he’s lazy. Linda standing by her defeated, deluded man time and time again. They’re a middle-class American family that struggles everyday financially and personally. There are so many lessons in that story. I know when I read it again, I’ll get something else new out of it. It has been read. It has been discussed. It’s been read and discussed so many times because there is so much in it. Those kids don’t realize that. Maybe some do and they will be able to help me show that to the students who haven’t figured it out yet. That’s the beauty of it and that’s why I decided to teach this year. I want to help the students see what is out there. What they’ve been missing. Some of those students may even want to be a writer because of what they’ll discover this semester.

“In fact,” Michael said, “Is David Day here. I would love to get his opinion on this matter. I’m sure he would have an opinion on this matter. Is he here?”

Michael couldn’t help but smile as he mentioned Day’s name. The idea had just come to him when he was defending his selection to Karen and Eileen. He felt like he had a chance to finally meet his idol.

“Professor Day is having coffee with his agent,” Karen said. “He is a very busy man, as I’m sure you can understand.”

“Yes. Of course, he is,” Michael said, feeling slightly embarrassed. “Well, I do have a class to teach. If you’ll excuse me ladies.”

Michael picked up his copy of “Gatsby”, a notebook and some papers from his desk and left for his class. He spent the short jaunt to his classroom thinking about Eileen Lamm and Karen Rawlinson. Two established writers. Two writers who were where Michael hoped to be professionally seemed disappointed in what he had chosen for the semester. Was he wrong? Was he wasting his time with a worn-out story? Was he going to lose students’ attention by selecting something that been re-read and overanalyzed?

Eileen and Karen were still in the office, discussing the new hire in the English Department.

“He certainly made a good point,” Karen said.

“Indeed, he did,” Eileen said, nodding. “What impressed me the most was how he defended his choice with so many examples in the story. He certainly is a well-read individual. He proved that.”

“He didn’t back down,” Karen added. “He didn’t waver at all. I’m intrigued to see how he’s going to moderate the class discussions. What do you think, David?”

David Day emerged from his cubicle. He was holding a copy of Michael’s latest book.

“The lad was impressive,” David said. “He certainly was able to stand his ground with your opinions. Between that and what I’ve just read,” he said, holding up Michael’s book, “I’d say this school is very fortunate to have him. I can’t wait to meet him and hear what else he has to say.”

August 27, 2020 15:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.