The Harold tree

Submitted into Contest #175 in response to: Start your story with two people planting a tree together.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Inspirational Romance

He had been an eccentric and odd sort of character. Cantankerous, some might say, but Bella had thought he was wonderful. She was rapturous when he regaled his with exciting tales of times gone by, and his knowledge of history and music fascinated her just as much.

“Just here, I think?” Bella called out to Justin, “I think this is a perfect spot, the light is fabulous and you can hills all around it.”

Justin strolled over and affirmed her choice. 

“Yes, this would be befitting of such a loquacious and inquisitive chap for sure.”

Justin had had a very different relationship with Harold. As a man there had been a more competitive style to their conversations, and as a younger man he had sometimes felt rather patronised, as if he was a novice. Yet he had earned his badges and was now a professional violin player in a well-established orchestra. He, also, knew a great deal about music, but it was rare that Harold seemed to quite acknowledge such. Their hint of rivalry and the way their would keep vying for respect did make for far more entertaining and lively exchanges. 

Hence, it was equally important to Justin that Harold was honoured with an oak tree. Harold had often talked of the power of the ‘Ancient Oak’ and that to live within the vicinity of such a majestic plant was very fortunate and portentous. That to touch the trunk of the majestic tree could make any wish come true. For a traditional man he was rather romantic about nature. 

Bella and Justin began to dig, not even considering to seek permission from the local authorities before disturbing the land. Trees were here, covering these fields, long before humans came along and interfered after all. 

They had met Harold at the local pub, both had visited a few times a week, enjoying the vibrant conversations resulting from a broad, eclectic mix of people. Justin had relatively recently moved to the area, having been offered a place with a prestigious orchestra and Bella had been local for a while, popping to the local pub with a few friends initially. Such was the convivial and friendly vibe in the bohemian suburb however, it soon became natural to just pop in for a drink sometimes on the way home from work. She knew Harold would be there at the same time almost everyday and she loved it when she had a little one on one time with him.

He'd been managed quite a well known rock band in his time. It seemed absurd that somebody who had dined with the rich and famous, on a daily basis, was now living anonymously in a small apartment, as if he had always been ordinary. The truth was he could never seem ordinary to Bella; his mind, his stories, his humour and his intelligence meant he was the centre of the universe in their little backstreet bar.

She’d been drawn to Justin at first sight, it wasn’t that he was particularly striking facially, it was more about the way he moved, with a certain grace. You could almost sense music in his gait, like he had his own theme song playing whenever he entered a room. 

He’d noticed her too, but he had been reticent to show it for a long time, so he had cleverly started to say hello to Harold and gradually to strike up small conversations, so as to eventually be in a position to be invited to share Bella’s company organically. 

Theirs wasn’t a very exciting love story, and it had taken almost a year from meeting her before he managed to spend some alone time with her and even that hadn’t been a date. They had simply both arrived at the pub on a day that Harold’s usual presence was lacking. As it turned out he had been attending the funeral of a friend, something that Harold explained was to be expected now that he was septuagenarian. It was only when he made remarks like that, that one would suddenly notice that he was rather old looking after all. Such was the liveliness of mind and the contagious joy of his spirit that he felt timeless and if one were to assign his personality a number, it would more likely be one beginning with 3 or 4. 

It wasn’t that their first time alone was the first time they had realised that they were attracted to one another, or that they were a rather perfect match. It was more that they noticed that others had not joined their tight union when it was just the two of them, and it seemed that there was so much more to talk about, even when they realised they had stayed far longer than either of them had intended. The seamless movement from friendship to a partnership was so natural that barely anybody remarked upon it. The only difference was that if one arrived alone, the absence of the other would be enquired upon. 

Otherwise much remained as it had. Justin and Bella would still visit the pub a few times a week to spend quality time with Harold and a few other of their favourite local characters, they just would meet at home first and venture out together. 

Hence, Justin and Bella had both been devastated to turn up at their bar one day, only to be told that their dear Harold was no longer. On a positive note, it appeared that his heart has simply stopped while he was sleeping. For this, they both felt a sense of relief, hoping that his passing was smooth and painless. Nevertheless, the suddenness of his passing was a shock and devastating to them both. 

Of course, the shockwaves of loss reverberated around many in the community. Although Harold had had his grumpy moments, and his over-reactions when he deigned to exceed his usual 4 pints, his charm, warmth and amazing sense of humour had been appreciated by all. 

His death had been a great loss to their small community, and even now, 3 months on there was a sense of emptiness in their local pub. It was as if somebody had used a dimmer switch and decreased the rays emitted from the Sun in the sky. 

Harold had never married, he’d only had a handful of relationships and none during the time that Bella had known him. He was quite the loner in some ways, and yet chose to be around people every day too. 

His voice was gravelly and only raised to a higher pitched when he was animatedly over-reacting to something because he was hungry and rather inebriated. Although his passion for history was something he loved to discuss regularly, his even greater love the powerful Oak tree was inspiring and captivating. In a way it was like he was part Oak already himself; with his brown, weather worn skin, almost resembling the wisdom of bark and his reedy limbs, like branches emitting from a sturdy trunk.

This young sapling that they were now settling into the disturbed earth, may one day be an ancient tree too. Who knew what stories it would be able to tell during its own lifetime. Perhaps its lifespan would reach centuries, just as Harold’s favourite tree had managed. Maybe great events would occur with the Harold tree sat in its valley, in the midst of time, instilling life, enriching an eco-system and telling its own botanical stories through its root system, as it entwined with the reaches of the mycelium and other plant kingdoms. 

In a way Harold could now be immortal, as he would be in their minds, and in their own personal memories and stories. 

Justin had begun writing down all of the stories that he could remember from Harold, and had approached the other locals who knew him well to re-tell their memories of his encounters with some very prolific characters, tales of travel and antics that could shock the most lascivious of men. 

After all, our lives are only as valuable as the impact we have upon those around us. The legacy that we leave behind, is what is carried in the hearts and minds of those we have loved and shared our moments with. 

Justin and Bella knew that their meeting and future relationship was ever enriched by the person who had helped them to connect. They were both determined that Harold would always be a silent and beloved presence, theirs would be a marriage of three.  

December 05, 2022 21:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.