The Splendid Advance

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about solidarity.... view prompt

2 comments

General


In these trying times, I would like to remind everyone that it takes a village. And your village can vary, it’s not always blood or your physical neighbors. A village can come in many forms and names. It can be your squad, your homies, your bffs, your buddies, your social media community, your cousins, your crew, and your chosen family. These are the people that you are closest to in life and know you can rely in your best and worse times. They can make you laugh when the walls are closing in, and remind you of you are when you feel lost. They will come and pick up the pieces and glue you back together like humpty dumpty. They help you define you, and you would do the same for any one of them in a heartbeat. They are family when blood turns their back. They are shelter when the world has thrown you out. They are your bodyguards when you have been beaten by the world around you. They are your greatest outlet in life and the rope to real you back when you swam to far from the shore. Community is more than blood, it is a choice. This is your pack, your heard, your school, your safety net. These people represent you, and all the parts of you that you need to survive. They say blood is thicker than water, but this river runs deep. Deeper than the veins that run through you, because it’s a choice and not mandatory. Blood loves out of obligation, partners love out of connection and a feeling of comradery. Choices. Actions speak louder than words, but sometimes words can cut a would so deep that no actions can fill that gap, and the world is filled with an inexplainable darkness. Your allies will do everything in their power to dig you out and cauterize that wound. For your wound cut them too, it reached into their soul and was a call to action. Your healers will do whatever they can to help make you whole, for if they lose you, they have lost a part of themselves. That piece of their soul has fallen off and floated to heaven with you, and is drowning in a pool of tears and sorrow, with the darkness that took you from them.

Community is not just what you get out of it, you are a part of it and your soul makes deposits everytime you say hello, or buy lemonade from the local kid, go to game night, or attend the block bbq. Your soul, your time, your presence, your aura, your eyes, your smile, your shoulder, your spirit, your thoughts, your heart. These all make deposits into the community bucket, and when you need them most, they will repay those deposits ten fold. Sometimes it takes more than your direct village. It takes combining villages to create towns, cities, counties, and states. States get together and create a nation. Nations come together and create a world. When the people of the world come together this is the most powerful village ever. United by one cause, we stand in solidarity, together we fight, we are one race, we are humans and we are flawed.

Those flaws and imperfections are what make each unique. You are a unicorn, your horn is your shining beacon, let it shine. Together we will outshine the darkness that is trying to swallow the world and take our breath away in the worst ways possible. I can’t breathe, your supporters will perform CPR and check your pulse, while the oppressor keeps a knee on your neck. When you are out playing with your friends and real bullets fly from those sworn to protect you, your advocates will help you find your wings and rise. While we weep from the injustices that our sworn protectors have brought. It lights a fire in our bellies and it flows a red hot ember into our ticker which ignites the lava in our veins and mobilizes the best the human race has to offer. We march, we sing, we fight, we die, we scream, we yell, we bury, we climb on the bodies of those oppressors, we will survive.

Once we are done fighting to survive, once we collectively catch our breath, we will rise and we will thrive. We will enact and enforce a change that our ancestors will cherish and beam a shining light down from above. These struggles do not go un noticed, do not happen without lives lost, without time wasted, and people showing their true colors. The voices once un heard and overlooked, are now being heard and noticed from the loudest bleachers and soap box the world has to offer. Violence begets and distracts from the issue of what causes us to rise, to fight, to hurt, to educate, and to broadcast this need for the end of the tyranny. Collectively we will create one race, one world, one voice, and put an end to injustice. No more choke holds, no more knees on necks, no more hog ties, no denial of basic first aid and medical care, no more redlining, no more gerrymandering, no more segregation de jure or de facto.

Like a phoenix from the ashes, we will rise up. We will breathe a new life into this earth. Mother nature hurts, she has been polluted by the corruption that is human greed. She has provided these amigos that elevate us with all we have needed to live, and to breathe. She has given us trees for air, homes for shelter, and food to nourish our souls. Let us show mother nature that we are better, we deserve her kindness and we can unite to ascend above the hate and progress beyond the divide. Being colorblind is not the answer. We all see the shades, we are not the same. We need to embrace each shade, and see each human for who they are. A wonderful individual, a person, an astonishing unicorn in search of their Pegasus wings. Help them attach their wings, and teach them to fly. Do not tie lead weights to the tips and wonder why they feel defeated. We are breaking the chains of oppression every time we march in solidarity, together in peace, for peace and for life.

#BlackLivesMatter

~Nina June Mozayeny

06/09/2020 @home

June 10, 2020 03:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

P. Jean
21:30 Jun 17, 2020

Interesting concept...you began well...you write well!

Reply

03:18 Jun 22, 2020

Thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.