ARJUN'S DINER

Written in response to: Set your story in a roadside diner.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

Arjun had a nice house on the highway in the outskirts of the city. He was past 50 and his wife was 45.He had worked as a factory hand and had taken voluntary retirement after 20 years of service to start up a business of his own. He was a very good cook and could cook economically to feed small gatherings. Besides he had ideas of making takeaways for patrons who use delivery service. He used the retirement funds to extend his residence to accommodate a modest dining hall with a capacity for about 10 people.

Arjun’s staff were Bist, Lama and the woman Sita. Bist and the woman were from Nepal while Lama was a Tibetan brought up in India. Bist was nearing 40, lived elsewhere and would come to work on his bike. Sita who was about 30 with a moon face, stayed alone in the outhouse while Lama who was around 50 stayed in the diner. Arjun depended on Bist a lot and had become next in command. Bist would do the shopping for the diner and Lama would clean up. Sita would slice needed vegetables and also help move plates and utensils. The diner would open at noon and work till 3 PM and again open at 8 PM to close at midnight. Arjun’s wife would take care of takeaway orders.

Since the food was tasty and the prices reasonable, Arjun’s diner referred to as Dhaba, became quite popular. At start of work Arjun would work at the baking pot near the entrance. His wife would collect the charges. While patrons were largely peaceful Bist who was well muscled was security in the diner in case of need. One night a lorry driver Thapa came for his food. He was burly with an unshaven face. He ordered lavishly and waited. There was a delay in service. Thapa who was very hungry broke two drinking glasses and a small plastic plate to register his displeasure. After the dinner was served the bill was presented for the dinner as well as the cost of the damaged items. Thapa paid only the food bill.

Bist came and said “You can’t damage the items and leave without paying for them.”

There was an exchange of words after which a fist fight started. It ended after Arjun intervened. Thapa had hit a few blows. Bist had also given back a few hard knocks. Thapa paid the cost of the damage and peace prevailed.

Arjun said “Thapa this kind of thing has to be settled by police.”

Bist said “Boss, now that the fellow has paid for the damage let’s forget this fight.”

A fortnight later, Thapa again came to dinner and ordered lavishly. With past experience food was served without any delay. He paid the bill got up and smashed the wall clock. Bist who was ready came with a club to hammer Thapa, but withdrew when the fellow drew his gun. Sita was cleaning Thapa’s table and Thapa quickly lifted the woman and went out. It was so sudden that she couldn’t even scream. But she was back in a minute and said “He told me to tell the bosses not to overreact.” Arjun was surprised she hadn’t complained about the happening.

Bist wondered how Thapa so easily lifted the plump woman. He was powerful indeed! The next night Thapa again came and delivered an even larger clock. He was served his order without any delay and he left obviously fully satisfied.

Arjun said “Bist, should we complain against Thapa to the police?”

Bist was thoughtful and said “Boss, except for his tantrums he seems to be a good patron. Let us be patient. If he tries such gimmicks again we can tell police.”

A month later Thapa entered late in the night after closing time and signed to Bist to come to him.

Bist was wary as he went towards Thapa. Thapa said “Bist I’ve come to seek a favour. I want to talk to you in confidence.”

“Wait a moment. I’ll take you to our store below.”

There they sat on stools when Thapa said “I want to stay out of sight of people a few days.”

“If we do that it means more damage to property belonging to this diner.”

“I promise I’ll give no trouble. And I’ll pay for it all.”

“Where is your gun?”

He laughed and said “I’ve no gun. The one I used here was a fake: A toy gun to frighten you!”

“What’re you running away from?”

He was silent for a few moments and then said “It’s very confidential. It seems one of the trucks I had driven was searched and 2 small packets of drugs were found. The drugs were not loaded by me. They were stowed by another driver though there’s talk that I could be implicated. I’m innocent.”

Bist said “The outhouse is the only place where you would find it convenient to stay. That means Sita has to move.”

“I’ve led a hard life. No particular conveniences are needed by me. Let her stay on. I’ll sleep in her kitchen if necessary. If police search they won’t bother about looking for me in the outhouse occupied by a woman.”

“I’ve to seek her permission.”

“I won’t overstay. I’ve arranged through colleagues to get to Nepal where my relatives live.”

Bist said “I doubt if she’ll give you cover after what you did to her. Let me ask her.”

Sita had gone back to her quarter and Bist knocked at her door. He explained the facts and the help needed.

She said “You know I also belong to Nepal. If he is willing to take me with him I won’t mind letting him hide here.”

“That means you’ll be leaving this job.”

“Not necessarily. If permitted by Arjun I’ll come back after a stay. It would cost me a lot if I had to go at my expense.”

“I’ll talk to Thapa.”

Thapa agreed to take her along as his wife.  

Bist spoke to Arjun about the developments and said “I’m also from Nepal. I liked Thapa and his lavish spending. I’ve permitted him to hide here.”

Arjun said “I’ve no objection. And if Sita needs leave it will be granted.”

Thapa stayed hidden in the outhouse. He was confined to the kitchen which wasn’t in use. She kept him company when she brought him food and gave him her background. She said “When you carried me out that night I wasn’t scared. I still remember your strong hold and your squeeze. I once had a husband who was sick most of the time. Luckily he passed away and I moved to India. I haven’t had the opportunity to be held the way you did. Since I’ll be travelling as your wife, am I not eligible to be given the wife’s rights?”

He said “I was once married but my wife didn’t like me driving trucks day and night on end. She walked out on me. You have all the rights of a wife.”

She was delighted as she stopped sleeping alone but with him. She found the satisfaction that had been denied her for long.

A couple of days later Bist told Thapa “Police made casual enquiries about strangers hiding in this area but didn’t investigate further.”

A day later Lama approached Bist and said “I want to expose Thapa lying hidden here. I hate that woman who rejected my advances.”

“If you do that I’ll expose your background which you’ve kept secret. Hearing it Arjun will immediately sack you.”

Lama looked crestfallen. Bist said “I know you went to jail for assault and battery. I’ve been discreet and will continue to be.”

Actually Bist had once met someone who knew Lama and had been told that Lama had been jailed briefly but he didn’t know the reasons. Bist had simply bluffed the reasons to Lama.

A week later, late one night Thapa and Sita got into a lorry bound for Nepal. The next morning Bist went into the outhouse and found it empty and clean. On the bed he saw a wad of bank notes with a message: ’These one hundred thousand rupees are for Bist for all his services. Don’t ask how I could give away so much money.’

Bist could guess!

END

September 08, 2021 05:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.