SOLIDARITY

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about solidarity.... view prompt

1 comment

General

Solidarity

To walk along the marsh, on the beach, or in the swamps, means to walk on the unpredictable and uncalculatable ground. It’s done, this walk is taken every day by everyone on this earth no matter where they start from within the journey of this life. However, the solid ground will not be found unless one can recognize it when they see it. It’s much like common sense. It’s not common sense when it is unknown, not until it is made known, and not unless it has been identified and understood what such common sense should amount to; in other words, it’s only common sense when it is known and understood and kept in consideration at all times. Many generations have walked and melted into the quicksand of the world, by no fault of their own, perhaps? It is time, in our new day and age, given the common courtesy to all those who are involved, to decide; what is solidarity, and what makes a solid ground from where all people can stand on and all agree that they stand on the rock-hard ground. I call this piece of metaphorical solid-ground, “Common Human Decency”! In other words, I believe, BLM and cultural acceptance is upheld with CHD!

That’s what this article suggests, and the intended direction of discussion will filter and flow into this sea of water that surrounds us all. Like a river, the flow will follow the least resisted path and find the way to where life, liberty, correct justice, and the pursuit of happiness for every individual will be found; regardless of political, philosophical, or societal imperfections. The imperfections come from subjective error; much like, when a computer is not properly completing the task, it’s usually due to an ‘operator error’. Without going further into gibberish, the focus is this: although the constitution is ‘practically perfect’, as Mary Poppins might use the words, people took it and molded it outside the intention and meaning, as well as perverting the literal speech it entails. History was given this starting ground and society might have stood on a God-given, solid piece of ground; but, in recollection, we went the wrong way, and because of that, we are all now stuck in the quicksand that we were led into, to walk head-first into, as a society and as individual humans overall.

If the solid ground was correct, except for, sarcastically speaking, only allowing a black ‘man’ to count as 1/3 a vote, and where the slant(s) came from those who were slave owners themselves, then this solid foundation can be salvaged, re-established, and made right. The foundation was there, but not yet able to be seen for some unknown reason that I can’t fathom still today, considering the time from then to now, over two hundred years later. We can’t go back and redo anything, but it is time to move forward, as the movement itself has already shown in the light and form and given that it is growing to become a worldly-accepted understanding of what is unacceptable where human decency is concerned. It’s no longer just democracy, but instead, common human decency is required in all stands and in every walk of a human. This cannot be denied; not any more, no matter where a human resides, it is seen that this is where the error lays, when humans are mistreated by another human, notwithstanding any reason what so ever to deny another the same decency as any other. The number one rule that was given centuries ago is this: “Love your neighbor (your common, fellow, human-being) as you would love yourself.”

We can’t remain ignorant, or blind, or complacent; not anymore, as the times show, it is an issue of the most important for the start of the 21st century, 2020. I believe the timing is one of vision that can be granted and appreciated as coming from the cosmos and the supernatural, spiritual revelation, planets aligning, or whatever else it is that is in control, as it has always been in the past. 20/20 is perfect vision, just as the prophets in ancient times proclaimed to be enlightened in their day and age. I’m in my 50’s with four children who were born, all four in the ’90s with the fourth in 1999, and I will be lucky to see 2050; so, I care about the future generations, even if I won’t see the end of this century. In all cases, young and old, we cannot take the same mistakes of the 20th Century with continuity and carry them along, as if normal, and not make the change that is so apparently being put in front of this generation and the generations to follow. To do that, simply, would be irresponsible!

This solid ground does not require religion, it has no importance of politics, and it is the reason for philosophy, to understand that common human decency (CHD) is the root of all goodness. It can be upheld even if the nature of it, on all sides is bi-polar and misaligned. CHD overrides emotional cries because it is the equalizer to any issue, regardless of the issue(s). No power struggle or property rights should ever be allowed to tilt the weight of equal, CHD! Age doesn’t matter, but as the river, a child will see justice and equality and common human beings as all similar, given the fact that they are first shown. It’s a true statement that if you raise a child with the understanding, then they will remember it; paraphrasing, but also realizing the truth in it. There are too many examples of conditioning and teaching; like, in the case of Pavlov’s Law, where, when a bell dings at feeding time, overtime of conditioning the dog to react, the dog eventually salivates when it hears the ding.

Society has been conditioned for the far-too-long, period! The time is calling for truth and transparency regardless of creed. It begs for a standard now being pushed, equality, with directness backing it up, into a place where there is no immunity for misbehavior, at all; it will not suffice, not anymore, and the forward generations deserve a zero-tolerance level; and, the movement, close to revolution status, is, similarly like, a locomotive that will gain momentum if the coal is used to feed the progress, and of which might be kept on the correct tracks, in the direction that leads to that solid-ground of common sense. This has become the forefront where, “the struggle is real” and we are all standing on quicksand, reaching-out, to either help or to be helped. In all cases, the help, or the need for it, is real and deserving for all.

For too long, people have suffered due to the injustice of perceived ‘power’ and the results show. The reality for the privileged is fake if denied accountability for ‘all’ behavior, good and bad, and in time it reveals with evidence the errors humans make and did drastically make during America’s days, enabling the wrong to exist with fervor. This generation and generations forward have been given an opportunity, responsibility, and a place in time to help my offspring, your children, and the future of humans who live here on earth. In writing this article, I think of my only grandbaby, little Ryver who turned 2 years old while this buzz of a pandemic and reaction to injustice has been going on around the world; specifically, coming from America where there are so, so many incidents now embodied in the universal-meaning behind George Floyd’s death. My heart feels wrong and craves the futuristic resolve, and I write because this common, solid-ground needs to be confronted, agreed, and accepted upon, and diligently, vigilantly watched. This day and age are like the trumpet sounding, for whatever it truly amounts to after time takes its course. As humans, there is only one principle behind knowing; that is, to wait. The move is active, requires specific action, and shows to be quite concerning, deliberate, and necessary to remain steadfast about, yet, all this while waiting patiently, perhaps, as the results are sure to provide shreds of evidence.

This seems, though, to be a new beginning, and no one knows for how long or in what way it might unfold. It’s a beginning to change; a change with undetermined time schedules or strategies to the game-plan, or like the ‘NOW’ that so may murmur and talk about. Whether it be unseen is of no consequence to the meaning, intent, and purposes of this article. We don’t know the beginning or when the end will show the fruits that are being planted today, as the seeds for the generations to come; and, really, only then will the labors prove and be correctly assessed and found to be better or not. We see though, cause if I can see it, so can you. We are all human with different characteristics, however it be, but we all deserve, require, and should demand that justice be served with CHD! And, that even though all human life matters, “Black Lives Matters” is now a strong-symbol of solidarity and should remind everyone that there is not a single soul who does not matter, and we should see that others have looked at another as if that “person” did not matter. The good Samaritan is one of the millions of examples, and it is the time, this day, for the common ground to be determined and exacted as to its relationship with BLM. I write with concern for my children, their friends, and future generations.

The End 8 June 2020 TLD


June 08, 2020 20:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Neha Dubhashi
20:58 Jun 22, 2020

Hi! I'm from the critique circle. I'll start by pointing out some of the things I love: Your imagery is fantastic. Ex. Many generations have walked and melted into the quicksand of the world... Love love love this! There are so many brilliant examples of perfected imagery throughout, so I won't pick out more. Now, for the nitpicking. Uncalcutable is not a word. When in doubt, leave it out. On the topic of words, readability and conciseness is of utmost importance. Ex. However, the solid ground will not be found unless ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.