13 comments

Contemporary High School Sad

Ms. Montgomery,

I’d like to write something about your grade.

First, I should give you some background.

I am not, as you know, a teacher who attempts to endear herself to students by blurring the line between the personal and the professional. You will have noticed, I suppose, that at no point this year have I ever disclosed anything about where I live, whether or not I’m married, whether or not I have children, what I like, what I don’t like, or even how I feel.

I speak.

You listen (hopefully).

I distribute education.

You absorb information.

I give out tests.

You take them.

I grade them.

The same with assignments.

The same with projects.

The same with exams.

That’s our relationship. It’s our arrangement. I maintain it, and I maintain it well. I’ve maintained this kind of relationship with students for over thirty years.

Now, teaching is different.

The students are different as well, but the students are always different.

My second year teaching was drastically different from my first year. I was advised by a mentor in my fourth or fifth year to simply develop a steady technique and never modify it based on how the students behave. I’ve done just that, and it’s served me well.

At least, it had.

Until a few days ago.

I’m not on social media, but I do read the newspaper everyday. I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I’m at an age where I check the obituaries fairly regularly in the event that I recognize the name of a classmate or former colleague. Someone from the neighborhood I grew up in, or a man I went on a date with years ago.

This week when I checked the obituaries, I saw a name that stopped my breath. It was the name of a former student. She’s much older than you, but, then again, most people are older than you, and she was significantly younger than me. I had her as a student twelve or thirteen years ago. She was a very nice girl, but she was not a good student.

Let me modify that statement.

She was a good student in the sense that her homework was always done. She listened. She took notes. She raised her hand and participated. She never missed a day of school.

The trouble is, Ms. Montgomery, I teach math.

Whereas in some subjects--like English or the Arts--effort is everything, the same cannot be said of mathematics.

There are very clear right and wrong answers, and you either know those answers, or do you not. Yes, you may show your work and get partial credit for an incorrect response, but ultimately, the only way to pass a math class is to have all the answers.

I’ve seen students grow frustrated, because there are those who simply get math. They do not try hard. They don’t listen. They don’t study. They simply show up and something inside them allows them to get a perfect score on every test. Their lack of effort may prevent them from getting an A, but I’m prohibited from giving them anything less than a B. It’s not fair. Perhaps that’s why I like teaching it.

It reminds me of life.

Some people are given the answers.

Some people work hard to learn the answers.

Some people never learn them whether they try or not.

In that way, I see my role as teacher as that of a documentarian. I tell you what you need to know, and you either understand or you don’t. If you don’t, you fail. There’s no judgment on my part. I’m simply marking the facts.

Two wrong gets you this grade.

Five wrong gets you that grade.

Enough wrong and you fail.

You fail and you go to summer school.

You fail and your parents are disappointed in you.

You fail and you’re disappointed in yourself.

Contrary to what some might think, I’m never disappointed in anyone. Even the ones who fail. It’s not my job to be disappointed or proud. I’ve got very little to do with it. Some teachers believe they can make their students better somehow. Maybe some can. I don’t believe I’m capable of that, and, truthfully, I don’t believe it’s my job.

I’m just here to give you information.

The woman who died was a student who tried very hard, but it didn’t matter. She failed. Although I should mention that she only failed by one point.

I don’t always remember how many points the students who failed fail by, but in my entire career, she’s the only one who ever failed by one point.

Until now.

You see, Ms. Montgomery, I have graded your exam, and averaged it against your other grades for tests and homework assignments. When I do that, it appears you will have failed my class by exactly one point.

Years ago, when that woman who passed away was failing by one point, I considered giving it to her. One point would not have made her or her parents happy, but it would have spared her summer school. It would have spared her feeling like an official disappointment. It’s that old joke about law school--

What do you call the one who’s last in their class?

A lawyer.

A pass is still a pass, isn’t it?

I didn’t give her the point.

I felt that it wasn’t my job to supply something that somebody hadn’t earned. The consequences of that point weren’t something I could take into consideration. If you didn’t deserve the point, and I gave it to you anyway, then what? Would I have to do the same for two points? If one point doesn’t matter, why would two? Why would three?

It seemed to be a kind of relativism that was the antithesis of the subject I teach.

I didn’t give her the point.

After that, I have no idea what happened to her.

I knew she must have gone to summer school, or maybe she didn’t. She wasn’t in school the next year. She might have moved. She might have done a lot of things. She might have been very successful in spite of failing my class. Her obituary said that she worked as a public relations specialist. That’s a very impressive line of work. She was married. She had children. So I shouldn’t feel any sort of way about failing her all those years ago.

And yet, I do.

I feel…terrible.

I didn’t feel that way at the time. I didn’t feel any way at the time. Now, she’s gone. And what was my relation to her? I was her teacher, but I was the teacher who failed her. I’ve never thought about that word being used in that way until now.

I failed her.

Ms. Montgomery, I cannot fail you.

I will give you the point.

I have not put much thought into this decision. For the first time, I’m using subjective judgment. I’m doing what I feel I should, not what the evidence demands. You have not earned this point, Ms. Montgomery, and I feel that doesn’t matter. Some might see it as a rash decision. I would have seen it that way just a week or two ago. Knowing that won’t change my mind. You’re going to get a grade you don’t deserve.

It will be the last grade I ever give. After this, I plan on retiring. I am not, despite how it may seem, in any kind of crisis over this. I am confused by this sudden onslaught of emotion regarding something that didn’t bother me at the time, but I don’t plan on questioning it too deeply. When the teacher changes, they are no longer fit to be a teacher. That’s what I believe. I could be wrong, I supposed, but if I am, there’s nobody to tell me so.

Nobody grades the teacher.

If they did, I’m not sure what sort of grade I would get.

It’s possible I’d pass.

Perhaps I’d fail.

I doubt I’d get an A though.

After all, they’re so difficult to earn.

November 06, 2023 02:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Ferris Shaw
07:29 Nov 14, 2023

Very nice. Crystalline in its clarity. Extremely different from your story "George Hides From A Shark." I've Liked both, by the way.

Reply

Story Time
08:33 Nov 14, 2023

Thank you, I always try to vary it with the material.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
16:59 Nov 13, 2023

I don't know anything about grading papers, but after hearing her thought process, I think the teacher made the right choice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hazel Ide
14:26 Nov 12, 2023

I feel like this entire story was a metaphor for all the ways in which we navigate life. We do what’s expected, and have to deal with the consequences which may or may not be adverse. Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Story Time
19:18 Nov 12, 2023

Thank you for reading, Hazel! I also think it's about dealing with life without any sense of nuance. Wanting to believe we can live by a set of rules that never change or adjust based on circumstance.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
01:45 Nov 08, 2023

Interesting stuff. I always found the grading difference between subjects interesting. 100 % on a math exam, while hard, seems perfectly achievable, but by academic criteria, i don't even know what a 100 % graded story or essay would look like. At least in the classes I was in. This touched on the idea of the power we can have on someone's future. There is no obvious link between the grade and the death, but the grade kickstarted that particular path, regardless. The butterfly effect of a human life. Exploring this idea in this way was phen...

Reply

Story Time
17:02 Nov 08, 2023

Thank you very much, Tom. I felt like there was a detachment there that she's built up over the years to protect herself from a moment just like this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
02:28 Nov 11, 2023

Math insight.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jack Kimball
22:21 Nov 07, 2023

It strikes me a math teacher has an ideal opportunity to run a statistical analysis because of the size of the data sample (students) as compared to MODIFIED teaching techniques and what level of test success can be achieved (measurably achieved). Small class, large class, tutors, no tutors, computer tutorials versus human teachers. The variables are endless. And then like a marketing executive, constantly testing methods of message against quantitative results, REFINE the teaching METHOD by testing different approaches, keeping what works...

Reply

Story Time
23:17 Nov 07, 2023

Oh no, never was a teacher, but a lot of admiration for them.

Reply

Jack Kimball
03:09 Nov 08, 2023

Me too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
05:36 Nov 06, 2023

Lovely! I love that this story shows how invested teachers can be in their students. They really do have an influence on them and vice versa. I also loved that this was a math teacher, and how she compares the grading of her students work to other subjects. Math is truly wonderful in its precision. There is only certainty and no subjectiveness. Except in this case, I suppose. Nice work, as always, Kevin.

Reply

Story Time
07:18 Nov 06, 2023

Thank you so much, AnneMarie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.