16 comments

Fiction

Biting into my sandwich, I began to chew, despite the choking sensation I was feeling. I should have made it lighter, less slices of cheese perhaps, but then again how sparse can a sandwich be before it’s just bread on bread? I forced it down with a small sip of the bottled water brought from home. 


Watching my coworkers casually chat at the Keurig, I heard the whoosh of the machine as the aroma swirled around the room, trying its best to tempt me. The journey across the small room through the mingling employees kept me seated despite my desire to try the latest K-cups. Maybe I would indulge in a small variety box for myself to see what they tasted like, explore which were most enjoyable. I can place an order online at the endless land of opportunity known as Amazon.


Sitting alone at the sticky table, I felt both relieved and awkward until a group of women came in and joined me. I knew them casually from the department at the other end of the floor. This would be okay, I thought, glancing at the clock. My lunch break was more than halfway over, I could finish up quickly and return to my cubicle.


“Excited for tomorrow? You have to let me know what to bring.” Tupperware containers and plastic utensils clattered onto the round table as I moved my uneaten sandwich aside.


“Please just bring yourself. I have way too much already. We’ll have leftovers for a week.” The easy banter continued.


“Do you have a gut feeling? Boy or girl? What’s your guess?”


“I keep going back and forth. I don’t know. We’ll see tomorrow when that balloon pops.” Kate placed her hands on her belly, beaming at the group.


“I can’t wait!”


The women glanced over at me, a tiny blip of silence hanging in the air.


I placed one hand under the table gripping the edge of the cold metal chair and waited.


“You got the evite to the reveal party, right, Jenny?” 


All eyes turned to me. Although I did see it in my inbox weeks ago, I chose to leave it unopened. I imagined the guests gathered around, coffee and cake perched on laps comparing stories of childbirth and beyond. The host would think I hadn’t received it if I didn’t open it. I knew how these evites worked, keeping track of all clicks. I could be surprised having missed it on Monday, showing my feigned disappointment. 


Feeling a flush come on, I blurted out, “I’m so sorry I can’t make it. I have plans this weekend that I can’t get out of.” I glanced down at the remains of my lunch knowing it would go into the garbage despite the slight hunger that lingered.


“The old ball and chain. We really have to meet your husband soon.” The women laughed good naturedly. They were a pleasant group, I realized. Maybe one day I would actually join them in their never-ending social events. 


“Yes, we have to get together.” I smiled and rose from my place at the table, gathering my belongings. “In the meantime, I hope the party is amazing. Show me pictures on Monday?” I tucked the metal chair in, grimacing as it scraped against the floor, before turning to step away.


“I’ll post them over the weekend. Are you on Instagram?” 


I froze. Social media. The endless stream of photos and comments was too much for me, made my head spin. The only way to cope with it was to stay away from it. How would I explain this? My feet grew roots spreading deep into the floor. I was unable to move, could not escape. Would today be the day I had a panic attack at work? I fought so hard against the constant threat. “Just make it through the day” had become my mantra. 


I thought of the Instagram account I had set up in the past, attempting to join in, keep up with the Joneses. When was the last time I had posted anything? Did I dare go back, fluff it up, add some pictures? Of what? My thoughts raced. I had to answer, I had to say something. Am I on Instagram?


“I am,” I stammered, hearing the rush of blood in my ears, my mouth becoming dry as sandpaper.


The sparse display of photos depicting my lonely life marched past my mind’s eye like a parade that no one knew existed. Caught in a candid shot at my sister’s wedding, watching the celebration from the table abandoned for the dance floor, left with name cards and empty seats. Stark beauty of the season’s first snowfall as I made my way through the trail in perfect silence and solitude. The bestseller ordered from Amazon, then hastily opting out of the book club meeting, choosing instead the online discussion. These photos, these memories, like floats in the unseen parade with an empty sidewalk to cheer me on.


Could I share those moments with these dynamic women? Their poise made me feel like a clumsy fool, amplifying everything I was not, could never be.


Still standing in silence with all eyes boring into me, I tried to continue, “You can find me at … “


I can delete my account, claiming to have been hacked, leaving my privacy intact. 


The roaring in my ears was deafening. The back and forth internal dialogue closed the channel to the outside, blocking any words from finding their way out. The unyielding attention was unbearable as I became keenly aware that my endless pause grew more and more unsettling. How long can one remain frozen until it’s inappropriate, all respect lost for the sufferer? Despite my best efforts, my inner self threatened to appear and show me as an outcast, revealing the true misfit that I was.


Just then a burst of laughter from the back corner popped the nightmare bubble as all eyes turned away as one. Taking advantage, I fled.


***


Back in the safety of my cubicle I sat quietly recovering, thankful for the walls separating me from the masses. Turning on the computer monitor, I brought up an email in an attempt to appear engrossed in work for those passing by behind me. I stared unseeing at the words in front of me, thoughts still ricocheting around haphazardly, matched by my erratic heartbeat.


Bits and pieces of conversation floated around, hovered over me, calming me down. Not feeling left out but rather finally comfortable in my invisibility. 


I recalled the comment about the ball and chain, my husband. I hadn’t said specifically what my plans were and was relieved they filled in the blanks for themselves rather than pressing me for details.


***


Closing my apartment door behind me, I exhaled, relief finally washing over me. The painful tightness in my neck and shoulders eased as I allowed my muscles to unclench. The tinges of an oncoming headache dissipated.


Removing the simple gold band, I placed it on my nightstand and glanced over at my pillows placed neatly in the center of my bed. I changed into the clothes left hanging on the hook in anticipation of the restful weekend. Thinking of that sparse tasteless lunch I had choked down, I opened the refrigerator, taking out the dinner I had prepared for myself before leaving for work.


My thoughts went back to the ball and chain remark. It was fine that they assumed the ball and chain was a husband. They didn’t need to know the actual ball and chain was my social anxiety.

February 20, 2024 14:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

16:45 Feb 26, 2024

Social anxiety is still a friend of mine, along with panic attacks, overthinking, and trust issues. I enjoy reading your stories. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
00:02 Feb 27, 2024

Social anxiety is more like a uninvited guest who wouldn't leave than a friend. It's no fun to say the least. Thanks for reading, I appreciate it! :)

Reply

16:10 Feb 27, 2024

No it isn't the amount of excuses I have to make up is crazy from a family emergency to my dogs wedding

Reply

Hannah Lynn
21:55 Feb 27, 2024

Well, take comfort in the fact that you are definitely not alone in the way that you feel! Love the excuses, btw!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Truth
13:43 Feb 26, 2024

Another reason to ditch social media. Great moral message. Great writing.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
00:01 Feb 27, 2024

Thanks so much! Yes, social media definitely has it's pitfalls no doubt! Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:12 Feb 25, 2024

The ball and chain being social anxiety was a great idea. You captured the MC’s riding panic well. On the other hand, is it so unhealthy to want a life devoid of the pressures and competitiveness of social media, excluding 1 or 2 accounts of course? Maybe not. A strong MC. I liked her character a lot.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
14:52 Feb 25, 2024

Helen, you make a good point. It really does seem healthier to stay off social media when we think of the keeping up with the Joneses aspect of it. Who's to say that the Joneses are an example for us anyhow? And are the Joneses even telling the truth or exaggerating? I guess like everything else in life, moderation is key. Thanks for reading!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
16:07 Feb 21, 2024

I love this story. You capture the illness superbly.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
23:59 Feb 21, 2024

Thank you so much, Ty! It’s a rough situation to feel like my main character does!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
23:23 Feb 20, 2024

PS I look in on Facebook but don't participate. Don't have an Instagram or any other account. It is only Reedsy.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
12:51 Feb 21, 2024

Well, Reedsy is the best!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
22:01 Feb 20, 2024

Social anxiety is real, it's crippling, and you described it in painful detail. Yes, of course there's no husband, she can't even share herself on line or in a book club. Well done, as usual.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
12:50 Feb 21, 2024

Thank you for your great feedback as always, Trudy! 😊 I’m glad the emotion of the MC came across.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:35 Feb 20, 2024

Brilliant one again, Hannah! As usual, your words immersed me in the world of your main character. I kind of felt there was no husband to speak of , but the journey to get there was spectacular. Great job!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
19:50 Feb 20, 2024

Stella, I really debated how obvious to make it that there was no actual husband. Glad it came across ok. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.