Better Late Than Never

Submitted into Contest #125 in response to: Write a story including the phrase “Better late than never”.... view prompt

0 comments

High School Romance Teens & Young Adult

You don’t see it, do you?

The way you have a tendency to tilt your head towards the sun when you walk outside or how to rest your chin on the palm when you think.

You don’t see how your hair hangs just over your eyes and makes you look tough and adorable at the same time.

You don’t see how you can light up a room with your smile or how you wrinkle your nose right before you laugh or how your lips form a perfect little O when you mouth I love you from across the room.

You never could see the way your eyes and face glow when I walk in or how you would hold my hand when you stretched it made my stomach twist in excitement.

I never told you that I loved the way you would steal kisses and hug me tighter than anyone had before. It gives me actual chills when you do. Still till this day.

I miss you worse on your bad days when you weren’t yourself than on the days I actually didn’t see you.

I never got the chance to tell you that the freckles on your shoulders are a perfect scattered mess or that you could make me smile just by looking at me sideways.

And that I needed you to get through the day.

I never made you aware of the way you would absentmindedly trace circles around my knuckles when you were thinking.

Or that, despite my screams and giggles, I loved when you tickle me to make me smile.

I never got the opportunity to tell you that your eyes dazzle when you’re excited about something.

I never mentioned how your lips were shaped perfectly to fit mine or that your hand is just the right size for mine so when we lock fingers it felt like a puzzle piece.

There’s so much more I wish you knew but it’s too late.

So I hope you knew that none of our silences were awkward and I melted when you smiled.

The way that you love when we just hang out at the house and watch our favorite show.

The way you appreciate the little things I do for you.

The way I catch you staring at me and smiling.

When I would have panic attacks and you remind me that I was enough.

The way you know when I’m upset and you try to help me figure out a solution.

The way that I was your only one.

When you let me take pictures of us and you even you’re super shy about it because you know how much it means to me to keep those memories alive.

We can play games together without getting too competitive and actually enjoy each other’s company.

How you care about what I’m insecure about even if it is a little inconvenient for you.

How you’re making a house our home and letting us grow together.

Letting me learn how to be a good girlfriend without knowing from previous relationships.

How patient you are with me when I get insecure with us because of what I’ve been through.

How you help me out with food when I’m low on funds because of the bills.

How you listen to my problems when I have trouble at home or work.

When you want me to ride with you even for the smallest things.

How you brag about what we do and how much you have with me to your family and friends.

How you are not ashamed to be with me.

Love how your family makes me feel like I’ve been a part of y’all’s family for years.

How you appreciate every part of my body and make me feel good about myself even if I disagree.

How we grew so fast together in under a year.

How much we’ve accomplished together in such little time.

How you make me feel like we’ve been in love for years.

How you don’t get mad when I spill my drinks on your carpet.

How you let me play your games without getting mad.

The way you look at me when I’m not looking, and my family sees how much you love me.

I love when you don’t get annoyed when I ask if you still love me fifty times a day.

I love that we can joke around with each other without hurting each other’s feelings.

When you offer to help me cook and clean since we both work.

How you’ve become my best friend and that I am yours (no matter how much you tell me my brother is)

How you don’t get annoyed with my random questions

How you don’t get annoyed with all the memes I send you saying how much I miss you

I love when you give me a big hug when you see me because it proves you miss me

How excited you get when you come home from work to see me in the living room waiting for you

I love that you wouldn’t anything come between us even my own brother.

I love that you gave me a chance despite who I am.

How you remind me how beautiful you think I am when my boss is mean to me

How protective you are over me

How thoughtful your Christmas gift is (even though I’m not sure what it is when I’m writing this)

I love that you don’t get annoyed at how emotional I get

I love that I can tell you anything without it being repeated

I love that I can trust you with all my heart

I love that I can tell how much I am in love with you without having to worry you’re taking it for granted

I love how you take care of me when I had too much to drink without any complaints

I hope you know that I will love you always and forever.

I guess it’s better late than never.

December 22, 2021 20:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.