0 comments

Drama Fiction Contemporary

Arjun was a young man – tall, muscular and with a rugged look. He was only 27 but his hairline was receding. Perhaps to make up for it he had grown an outsize moustache. He had a degree in commerce and had now to decide on taking up a job, or study further to become a chartered accountant. It was at this stage he had lost his parents to covid in his home town. He had now come back to his third floor flat in the city which was now his own.

Arjun had an admirable quality. He would readily go to the help of those who needed it irrespective of status. All who lived in the multi-storeyed building which was his home knew his good nature. Following the sudden exit of his parents all in the building had sent him condolence messages. He now felt lost. Why not become a monk he asked himself, but he had this property and other securities his father had invested in which were ample and he had to manage them. He had just returned to the city from his hometown and it was around 6.30 in the evening. He sat in his favourite rocking chair with the fan spinning overhead recalling moments with his parents. This was the time when she would be busy in the kitchen and his father would be busy on the phone talking to his stock broker. The thoughts were disturbing and to distract his thoughts he  switched on the TV. By the time the screen came on, electricity failed. He got up and brought out his torch. He switched it on when it gave a low glow and in seconds even that went out. He knew he had to change the batteries and decided to go out to buy them. There was a knock on the door. He opened it and found the dinner he had ordered had arrived. He stowed the food jar on a table and went out. It was totally dark everywhere. Even street lights weren’t on. He somehow managed to reach the shop and got 5 batteries loaded in his long torch. Going back was easy as the torch threw a big and powerful beam. Back in his building, he again seated himself in his chair. It was now past 30 minutes since power had failed. He called his friend Fred who lived in another corner of the city. Fred said ”No power in my place too. The trains on the metro have stopped. My brother who lives in the northern part of our city said power had failed there also. Doesn’t seem to be a normal break.”

Arjun took off his shirt and banian as it was stifling hot inside and wondered what he could do. There was a knock on the door and he opened it. It was Anita who lived on the 5th floor. She said “Sorry to disturb you. I need your help. My husband is recovering after heart surgery and needs certain medicines urgently. Our son is expected from the USA only next week. I must collect these medicines urgently. I’ve paid for them but the shop said these tablets would be delivered to them only this evening. I don’t want to go out at this hour leaving my husband alone.”

“I’ll pick up the medicines for you in a few minutes.”

Anita said “The prescriptions and bills are in this envelope which I’ll leave with you.” She handed them over and saying ”Thanks” left.

Arjun again drew on his clothes and set out for the medical shop on the next road. It was indeed very dark and he used his torch to light his way. The shop was closing but Arjun was just in time to collect the medicines needed by Anita. On the way back as he neared his building he saw someone coming running out from the next lane and also heard a woman scream saying “Stop that thief.”

Arjun blindly blocked the man who came running, but the fellow had a knife with which he attacked Arjun. Arjun ducked but was stabbed in his arm. However he held on firmly to the man. A woman now came and said “That fellow seized my phone as I stood talking.”

Arjun searched his captive’s pocket, and finding the phone restored it. The woman said “Fellows like him need to be hit hard and handed over to the police.”

“I’ll do whatever is necessary.”

The woman said “I live in the opposite building on the ground floor. I’ll give you my card. You can contact me when necessary.”

Accepting the card Arjun said to the man in his grasp “I’m taking you to my flat. March.”

Reaching his flat Arjun asked “What is your name?”

“I’m Keerthi.” Arjun studied the man’s features in the light of his torch. The fellow had a mole on his left forehead.

“Why did you seize that woman’s phone?”

“I’m a drug addict. I didn’t have money to pay for my fix. The drug dealer will take the phone and supply me drugs. I didn’t harm the woman.”

“Shall I call the police?”

“This is the first time I did phone snatching. Let me go. I won’t do it again.”

Something about the man’s appeal touched Arjun’s heart and he said “Have you had food? Join me if you’re hungry.”

The two had dinner together in torchlight after which Arjun said “Go your way.”

The man left after saying many thanks to Arjun. Arjun tidied the dining table and then treated his wound using the first aid kit at home. After enclosing the wound with a bandage he went up and delivered the medicines to Anita. Coming back, Arjun dozed with discomfort on his chair. Power hadn’t still come back. He wished his dad had installed an emergency power system but he felt it wouldn’t have taken care of such a lengthy power break.

A knock on the door woke Arjun and he opened it after covering himself with a towel. He saw it was morning and Anita was standing outside with an armful of items. She said “I’ve brought these to thank you for going out in the dark to get medicines for my husband.”

She barged in and leaving the items on a table said “These are fruits and eatables for you.”

“Thanks. Quite unnecessary I would say.”

Just then power came back as could be seen by the fan starting to blow. She said “Glad power has come back.”

An hour later Arjun was surprised to have a most unexpected visitor at his home. It was Mehta who lived on the seventh floor. He was a business tycoon and would rarely mix with residents in the building.

Mehta said “I was sorry to hear about the sad demise of your father. He was well-known to me. I see you’ve a bandage on your arm.”

“It was due to a a small accident. It will heal.”

Mehta said “I know what happened. Keerthi stabbed you in the arm.”

Arjun was silent. Mehta continued “Keerthi told me. He is my brother. He approached me for money last evening but I firmly turned him down. He praised your magnanimity in letting him off without handing him over to the police.”

Mehta continued “I know that all the folk in this building are in praise of you. You have helped many of them. I know you’re a commerce graduate. I can absorb you in my business. People with your qualities are rare. In fact I would’ve considered you for becoming my son-in-law, but Akila is a year older than you. You know her also.”

 In due course it came to pass that Arjun took Akila as his bride.

END

May 03, 2021 09:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.