0 comments

Christian Friendship Romance

Eddie Ray, star pitcher at the local high school, popular and charismatic. But he had a secret. The most popular guy in school had a crush on the least popular girl in school. Selena Wilson was a wallflower, the picture of grace and beauty but not unto the naked eye. She was president of the debate team, loved dissecting things in biology and her favorite topic to talk about was her relationship with God. 

One day, Selena was walking home from school when a beautiful lightning blue mustang pulled up beside her. As her eyes focused on the driver of the car, she couldn’t believe what she was seeing, or who she was seeing; Eddie Ray. 

With as much composure as he could muster, Eddie asked, “Hey Selena, do you have a minute to talk?” Selena had no idea why star pitcher Eddie Ray would be asking to speak to her but her heart was softened to his request.

She replied, “Sure, there is a park just around the corner. Let's go there to talk.” When Eddie offered to give her a ride, Selena politely declined and said she felt more comfortable walking the few hundred feet to the park. 

Once Eddie parked his car, he met Selena at the swings. While he was nervous, Selena’s curiosity immediately got the best of her. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

Eddie closed his eyes and inhaled deeply.

“I’ve noticed you Selena, for a while now actually. And,” Selena interrupted, “You’ve noticed me? What is that supposed to mean?”

It had taken all of his courage to come here, she couldn’t just interrupt him! His patience started to grow thin. “Well if you would let me finish, I will tell you what I meant.”

Uh-oh. Not the moment of bliss he was hoping for. Selena’s face contorted into a grimace and she reached down to grab her backpack with no intention of staying there to be spoken to so disrespectfully. “Look Eddie, I didn’t ask you to come here and I have been doing just fine without being noticed by you, at least then you couldn’t have spoken to me so rudely.”

As she got up to leave, Eddie’s hand shot out and caught her wrist delicately. “Selena, I’m sorry. Please don’t go.” Relenting from the dramatic exit she would have rather enacted, she sat back down on the black plastic swing. She was just as nervous as him but didn’t want him to know that so she did her best to stay quiet until he was ready for her response.

“I like you, Selena. I have since the 4th grade but we have always been on opposite sides of the universe it seems. I like how you always have something kind to say to people and how you smile so genuinely. I like how you get excited when you learn something new and the fact that your brain can actually store so much information,” Selena laughed softly. “I like that you’re not afraid to talk to people about God and that you make it known He is the most important relationship you have. I wish I was more bold to talk to my teammates about faith. Some of the guys,” Eddie paused and sighed sadly, “Well, some of the guys are really going through it right now and I wish I could tell them that God wants to be there for them, if only they would let Him in.”

Selena was amazed at this confession. She always knew him to be a ball player and nothing else, not even a devoted follower of Jesus Christ. Her heart went out to him and the boys on the team Eddie had mentioned. She silently sent up a prayer, God, give Eddie the strength to speak about You with his team. Help the boys who need Your love and guidance in a time like this. Amen. 

Eddie’s eyes were focusing on the patch of grass he was nudging with his foot, which gave Selena the chance to really look at him. He was tall, even sitting down she felt meek in his presence. His dark hair was freshly cut, he had a strong jawline and kind brown eyes. His caramel skin glistened in the sun and his black T-shirt stretched across his broad chest and muscular arms. Eddie Ray was definitely the most handsome 18 year old boy she had ever seen but looks aren't everything. 

“That was brave of you to say all of that. I appreciate your affections but I don’t know you well enough to say for sure if I could return them.” Eddie looked up quickly and smiled like the Cheshire cat. His confidence was back, that much was true and still, he remained vulnerable before her.

“What if we spent more time together? We could get to know each other and then you can make a decision whether you like me the same way or not,” he said. 

Because of their popularity status, or lack thereof, it felt almost scandalous. She would be lying if she said an attraction wasn’t there but could she handle it if her heart was in the mix? Selena was torn, it would be totally harmless spending time with this boy, right? But what would all the girls who flaunt themselves and flirt with him every day do to her if they found out? Being teased and bullied was nothing new to this wallflower but her senior year had been mean-girl-free and she would like to keep it that way. 

“Fine, but nothing changes when we are at school. You can’t talk to me or look at me or treat me any differently or else your fan club will only see a big red target with my face on it!”

Eddie felt victorious, but was taken aback by her fear of those carbon-copy girls whose only skill was to be vicious. She was so much more than them and he was more than willing to make sure she knew that. “Deal,” he said, extending his hand.

Taking a deep breath, Selena hesitantly took his hand and shook it. “Deal.” Oh God, what did I just get myself into? she thought.

April 17, 2024 21:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.