1 comment

General

"Hey, honey, its me. just calling to let you know I'm boarding the plane in about 20 minutes. I can't wait to see you. I love you." Eli hung up the phone. Man that's really weird that Sydney didn't answer. She usually always answers my calls, he thought to himself.

Eli Watterson was returning from a business trip in Los Angeles, California to New Orleans, Louisiana. God, had he missed his wife. Not a second went by that he didn't think of his dear wife Sydney. It had been at least two weeks since he seen her and was well over due for it.

As he sat in the terminal waiting to hear his flight number called, he scrolled through his phone looking at the pictures of his wife and family. He knew that he was truly blessed. Him and his wife had been trying for a child together for the past two years. he couldn't wait to get home to continue trying. It's all Sydney had ever wanted. To be a mother.


"Now Boarding flight 122 to New Orleans." came blaring over the intercom.

"About time" he said as he stood and gathered his belongings. He walked to the boarding line and followed in suit with the rest of the passengers. he pulled out his phone and sent his wife a text letting her know he was boarding now then slipped it back into his pocket. After he was boarded he put his belongings in the storage container above his seat. he sat down put his head phones in sat back and prepared himself for his 4 hour flight.

Four Hours Later

"Welcome to New Orleans, ladies and gentlemen. Please grab your baggage and proceed to the exit." the flight attendant said as she stood by the door wishing everyone well on their departure to their next destination. As soon as Eli was off the plane he turned his phone form airplane mode and tries to call Sydney. The phone rings and rings and goes to voicemail again. Well this is odd. I guess ill leave her another voicemail and try her again once I get a taxi, Eli thinks to himself as her voice rings in his ear of her recording.

"Hey, baby, it's me again. I just landed. I'm gonna get a taxi. I should be home in about Thirty minutes. Please call me back this isn't like you. Love you. See you soon." After Eli hung up he went through security and headed out the front to call for a taxi. Once he was in, and gave the driver the directions he tried Sydney again, but instead of ringing it went straight to voicemail. Now Eli was starting to worry.

"Excuse me, Sir. Would there be anyway you might be able to go a little faster. I'm sorry to ask but my wife isn't answering her phone and that's so not like her. I'm worried something is wrong." The cab driver could see the concern in his eyes through the rearview mirror.

"I'll do the best I can, Sir, but I ain't getting no ticket because you either." Said in his thick southern drawl.

"I completely understand, and appreciate it truly." The driver sped up a little making Eli calm his nerves a little. As the driver whipped back and forth through the traffic Eli could feel his heartbeat in his throat. He closed his eyes praying his wife was okay and hoping that she just lost her phone or something silly of that matter. He kept trying to reach her but it didn't matter, every time it went straight to voicemail.

About twenty minutes later they pull up in front of Eli's apartment building. He quickly gathered his stuff, thanked, paid, and tipped the driver and went to the door. He ran as fast as he could up the stairs and shoved his keys into the lock and threw the door open.

"Sydney! SYDNEY! WHERE YOU AT, GIRL?" He yelled as he walked into his apartment, but there was no answer. he ran from room to room looking for her. Finally he entered into the bedroom. At first he didn't see anyone in there. Then his eyes hit the floor. he saw her pink slipper with a foot in it barely exposed enough to see. He ran to his wife's lifeless body laying on the floor. HE cradled her into his arms and put her on the bed. He checked for a pulse but couldn't find it. Eli began to cry. "No. No. No. Not my Sydney. Come on, baby, please open your eyes."

Eli was so caught up in his grief he didn't hear the door open behind him. the figure drew closer and closer as Eli had his face buried in his wife sobbing uncontrollably.

As Eli lifted his head a knife was plunged into his back. He screamed in pain as he fell to the floor next to his wife. Again and again the man stabbed him. Eli tried to turn so that he could see the identity of his killer, but he was wearing a mask. As life was leaving Eli he reached for his wife's hand. As he was finally able to slip his hand into hers she sat up and smiled at the man that had attacked them and stood. Eli was in complete disbelief, his wife was alive.

She looked down at Eli then kicked him. "You should be dead already." She said with hate flowing out if her eyes.

"But why, Sydney?" Eli said gasping with tears in his eyes. "I loved you. Why do this to me?"

"Because I never loved you. you could never even give me the one thing I wanted. But that's okay thanks to you I was able to meet someone who could. Someone who actually is here and not flying across the country every week." As Sydney said this the man removed his mask. It was Eli's Twin Brother Levi.

Levi laughed as he pulled Sydney into his arms. Eli cried out as he took his last breath and died staring at the woman he would have done anything for.



"9-1-1 what is your emergency?"

"Please send the police and an ambulance. a man broke into our home and tried to attack my husband. The attacker is dead."

May 30, 2020 05:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Aneka Williams
22:42 Jun 10, 2020

I somewhat liked this piece, gravitating more towards Eli’s character. Away from that, could use a little help. 1. Some new sentences weren’t clear as they weren’t capitalized. Gotta check for those. 2. Try to use the comma to separate two occurring thoughts then add an “and”. Adding “and” before the comma makes the sentences sound choppy when read out loud. 3. Try to have a build up on the plot so that we can get emotional feedback. Since this is already written in third person, it would have helped to hear a little from Sydney to...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.