Abby's Imaginary Friend, Hugh

Submitted into Contest #117 in response to: Set your story at the boundary between two realms.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery Suspense Fiction

My sweet precious Abigail has trouble sleeping some nights. Her twin sister can sleep through the night, but for some reason, she just can't. It's not uncommon for young babies to have night terrors, but I didn't think I would have front row seating for them. Each time, her cries of agony pierce my heart which thrusts me out of my sleep no matter how deep I think I am into my rem cycle. My husband, Craig, sleeps through the whole thing, which is why now, she only cries out for me. 

“Mommy!!! Abby shrills!”

I whip back my covers and in a hasty daze, head down the hall over to Abby and Ashlyn’s room to comfort my baby. I thought the terrors would stop when I bought them a nightlight but that seems to not be working. Walking into the barely lit room, I see Abby’s little body thrusting from side to side, reaching for her neck with her eyes are still closed. Ashlyn is sitting up in her bed crouched in the corner with her hands covering her ears.

"It's okay Ash, your sissy is fine." Unfortunately, she starts to cry too. Now, I am fully awake. I walk over to Abby who is now crouched on her side and place my hand on her back. "It's okay baby, mommy's here." I start to rub her back in a circular motion only for her to scream louder which makes Ashlyn cry louder too. I pick Abby up and start to bounce her up and down while rubbing her back. Eventually, the screams and cries start to subside.

“It’s okay baby girl! It’s okay.” I’m met with an Mmmmm, sound as she puts her middle and ring finger, in her mouth allowing her tears to cascade down her face. Ashlyn is now silently sitting back watching the whole thing. I try to put Abby back down but she starts crying again. Before I let her start completely, I ask, “You wanna sleep with mommy?” She nods her head yes. I look over at Ashlyn and hold out my other hand, “Come on Ash.” I knew I couldn’t leave without her. 

            The next morning, I awake to just me in the bed. I’m assuming I was sleeping so good, Craig took the girls out of the room so I could get some much-needed rest. I pull the covers off of me and sit up, staring outside our balcony. I look to my right at our closet, silently doing the arithmetic of how much more sleep I could squeeze in before I have to really wake up. Before I could arrive at a number, the smell of pancakes tickle my nose, which gives me the strength to grab my robe and head to the kitchen.

            “Hey Babe.” Craig walks over and kisses me on the forehead. I respond by offering a subpar wave. 

            "I don't know how much longer I can take of this. Do they have medication for things like this?" I said jokingly, but seriously.

            “Everything will get better.” 

            “Easy for you to say, you don’t have the luxury of your daughter calling out your name in pure horror to come save her. You don’t even wake up, which makes me question do you even care?” I didn’t mean to say that, but it slipped. “I’m sorry Honey.”

            “It’s okay, I understand, you have been through a lot. But for the record, I do care. The last two years haven’t been easy… between the girls and the loss of -.” He looked at me but stopped. He knows that’s a sore spot.

            “Yes, you are right. I am worn out.”

            “Have you ever tried asking Abby what’s scaring her at night.” He moved slightly closer to me.

            “I have when the terrors first started happening but she never would tell me. So, I stopped asking. I don’t ask afterwards because I don’t want to hurt her by bringing up the terrors.”

            "Interesting." His face was more concerned.

            “What’s going on?”

“Remember last week when my brother Brian came over?”

“Yes…”

“Well, we were watching the girls while chatting in the living room. Ashlyn was pushing her wooden stroller and Abby was competing for our attention by bringing us her dolls to look at. Then she hopped on the ottoman that was slightly on the side yet in the middle of both of us.”

“Okay…” 

“All of the sudden she looks off, then turns her full body to the hallway. Then it was like poof, we weren’t even there. She was in shock, Babe. Me and Brian continued to talk, but I couldn’t help but notice how it seemed like something either called her name, or at the very least had her full attention.”

“What are you trying to say Craig? Did you hear someone call her name?”  I looked up at him with agitation. I couldn’t understand why he was just now sharing this with me. And I wish he would just get to the point.

“I’m trying to say, maybe she has an imaginary friend. You know, some kids have those.”

I sigh and walk away to the other side of the kitchen. "Maybe she does."

“Do you think we should ask her?”

“I don’t think it could hurt. I’ll ask her while putting her to bed tonight.

“Abby! Ashlyn! It’s time for night night.” Both girls run into their room and hop on their respective beds. I walk over to Ashlyn and tuck her into her pink sheets.

“Ready for a good night sleep tonight?” I said tucking her in tight.

“Yeaaa” She yells. I kissed her forehead. I walk over to Abby and she reluctantly slides down into her purple sheets.

“Abby! Are you ready to sleep through the whole night?” She nods her head. “What’s the matter baby?”

“He scares me at night. Don’t let him touch my neck.” She holds her hands to her neck to demonstrate for me. I am shocked and confused.

“Who baby? Who does this to you? I hold the covers over her shoulders.

“Hugh”

I freeze. My heartbeat was harder than a bass drummer in a band. "Sweetie, who is Hugh?" I said as calmly as I could muster up.

“My dead brother.”

October 26, 2021 01:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Courtney Moore
21:35 Nov 03, 2021

Interesting concept! I like the twist at the end, and the hints dropped to lead up to the ghost being her dead brother. There were places where I think you could cut out filler words, or split longer sentences into shorter ones. For example: "Before I could arrive at a number, the smell of pancakes tickle my nose, which gives me the strength to grab my robe and head to the kitchen." I like the description here, but I think it could be broken up into two shorter sentences. That would give the reader time to fully digest the first thought b...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.