The Moonlight Pub Christmas Party

Submitted into Contest #21 in response to: Write a short story about a work Christmas party that goes... awry. ... view prompt

0 comments

Holiday

Having worked the night shift, its up to Sam to get the pub ready for the Christmas party which also happens to fall on the pubs ladies night. Usually Audrey would handle the set up and design but this year she was in Austin to pick up and spend some time with her SEAL fiancé getting ready for their wedding. And to top it all off… she won’t be in to cover the day shift so he’ll only be getting 3 hours of sleep before he has to be back behind the bar. 

 

The day of the Christmas party dawns bright and sunny exactly the opposite of Sam’s disposition. The bar, however, is blissfully quiet as everyone is probably home shredding their Christmas wrapping papers. Sam begins to leisurely string boughs of holly and pink lace through the pubs rafters. Once 8pm hits the pub begins to fill up with the early bird ladies, most of whom are old enough to be Sam’s grandmothers, and who see no issue with some outrageous flirting. Sam takes all of the comments in stride as he nods his head with a small smile at the giggling grannies. 

 

Thinking its going to be a slow and calm night, Sam, is unprepared for the group of bombshells that walk through the pubs front door around 11pm. The grannies are by now long gone or nodding off in their booths but Sam can’t seem to notice anything but the drop dead beauty of a red head sitting in the back corner booth. As the only bartender on staff and with all of the waitresses busy, he makes his way over to their table… “Evening ladies can I get you anything?”

 

The pink wigged friend answers for them saying “We’ll take a round of margaritas with salt on the rim and a Jack Daniels chaser on the side for each…” 

 

As he turns back to the bar, the blond chimes in with “We’ll take you too...”

 

Shaking his head with a grin, Sam continues on his way coming back 15 minutes later with a tray of their drinks in one hand. “Here you go ladies...” each word punctuated with the clink of their glasses hitting the hardwood table… 

Watching covertly from across the pub, Sam can’t help but take peeks at the back corner table in between orders. What those peeks tell him is that he’ll have to call a cab pretty soon for 4 of the bombshell but his red head was stone cold sober… Finding that odd and just a bit curious, Sam makes his way to their table once more and asks over Sinatra’s crooning “Anything else I can get you ladies?”

 

Drawing his eyes to her Sam’s redhead answers “We’re done thanks; can I get….” his red head get cut off and Sam;s attention is jerked away from her by the blond as she yanks him towards her saying “Calm down Monica! Come and join us cutie!”

 

Nicely prying her alligator grip off his shirt, Sam straightens to his full height now yelling over a blaring Stevie Nicks song “Sorry honey, I’m not on the menu...” and turning back to his red head he says “Tonight's on me… let me know when your ready to leave and I’ll help you get your friends to the car.”

 

Back behind the bar, Sam peeks at that table every now and then but is soon forced to focus as the pub get hit with a new wave of ladies out on the town. When the orders finally die down, Sam turns to find the back corner table empty but for a table full of empty glasses and no busboy in sight. Sighing to himself and murmuring his redheads name, ‘Monica’, Sam takes an empty bucket and goes to clear the table. 

 

When he reaches the table, Sam notices a folded napkin tucked neatly under a glass in front of his redheads seat. Bypassing the other glasses, he dumps hers in first and shoves the napkin into his jean pocket and goes on clearing the table. 

 

Half an hour later after yet another wave of orders, the fifth one at only 2 in the morning, Sam takes a quick break with his back up against the back counter. Remembering the napkin he pulls it out and finds Monica’s name and number written in sexy calligraphy on it and smiles.  

 

The first text at 10am the next morning turns into a phone call the next day, and  followed by a couple of dates after that. Dates through which, Sam discovers his redhead is a Lieutenant Commander MP with the Navy and he explains that he too served; albeit in the Air Force until an injury grounded him. 

It is also on the last of these dates that Sam gets his plus 1 for Audrey’s wedding as well as an audacious idea! Several months after that evening Sam is bringing Monica to her door, and asks “Are you free for the weekend?”

 

Disappointingly, Monica answers “Sorry, I’ve got PT on Saturday morning and I have to do rounds on Sunday… why? ”

 

Shaking his head as he walks backwards back towards his car, Sam says “Never mind… we’ll figure something out.”

 

Contrary to the original plan, Sam spends the weekend planning a breakfast surprise and on Monday morning shows up bright and early at her apartment door. 

 

A sleepy, yet smiling, PJ clad Monica stands at the door waiting for Sam as he gets off the building elevator.  Kissing her forehead, Sam says “Hey babe!” and kicking the door shut behind him he continues towards her kitchen saying “I know you must be exhausted and hungry so I brought breakfast...” and with a dramatic turn Sam presents her with a Cheesecake Factory box saying “...and for my ladies sweet tooth; just what the dentist ordered!”

 

Laughing at his antics, and as predicted, Monica takes her cheesecake box and a spoon to the table first. While Sam finished pulling out the rest of the meal from the back he hears Monica gasp… 

 

Turning to face her, Sam watches as she pulls the diamond and emerald engagement ring out of her mouth. He gets down on one knee as she turns to him with a questioning look… in answer Sam whispers “Will you marry me?”

 

Nodding her head ‘yes’, Monica swallows her mouthful of cheesecake and starts saying “Yes. Yes… YES!”

 

A grinning Sam, wipes off the ring and puts it on her finger as he drags her to him for one hell of smooch

 

Epilogue 

3 months later

 

To honor his father who passed away, leaving him the pub the year before, Sam and Monica held their wedding and reception at the pub. The guest didn’t mind there being no Christmas party that year because they got free booze, cake and food at this party.

 

Never one to miss the Moonlight Pub Christmas party, much less a Moonlight Pub wedding, Arrabella came back in town with her grandfather and Nana in tow. Also in attendance was Audrey, married for almost a year now, with her hubby and newborn baby girl Marlen. Both former moonlighters cheered louder than any of the other guest when the bride got up on the mini stage to give a speech… 

 

“First of all I want to thank everyone for coming and my girlfriends for dragging me to this pub that fateful night! Second, I want to thank everyone who made this day possible. From the beautiful flower arrangements, to the delicious cheesecake cake and the decorations that make this pub look girly… God rest Sam Sr. And last but not least, in some cultures it's customary for the bride to give her groom a gift and… while it may not be ours, Sam, I’d like to give you this gift.”

 

Coming up to stand beside his bride, Sam opens the letter and at Monica’s suggestion reads it out loud… “To whom it may concern: This is to Certify, That Monica R. Kelly, Lieutenant Commander,  company 1985, Military Police of the Army of The United States... ” pausing to yell and twirl his wife around, Sam continues in a rush into the mic “... is hereby Honorably Discharged from the military service of the United States [....]” unable to continue, Sam just kisses his bride to the continued cheers and catcalls of the guests…

 



December 25, 2019 23:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.