Mandy's Truth

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

3 comments

Mystery Suspense Sad

On a mild, summer night 12-year-old Mandy laid up against her sister, Summer, as they watched a movie. Mandy enjoyed spending time with Summer and she wanted to do so as often as she could. Summer was a hard-working 26-year-old woman. Summer never really had much time to spend with her little sister, but the time she did spend with Mandy was always fun. 

Their mother was a school teacher and their father was a worker in the oil field. They had the perfect family, or at least that was how it seemed to the general public. Their family had secrets, but none that Mandy knew of. Summer and Mandy had a close relationship. Although there was an age gap, the girls were the closest that they could ever be. When Summer wasn't working, you could find Mandy by her side.

Shortly after the movie ended Summer had to go in for work. She worked night shifts at a hospital. Their father was away at work and wouldn't be back until Monday. And their mother had to make a quick store run, so Mandy was left home alone. Mandy was known to be a curious child. She liked to ask questions, snoop around and search for things to fuel her young mind. While Mandy's family was away, she decided to look around her home for something to entertain her. 

Mandy decided it would be a good idea to look in her mother's office. She searched the drawers and cupboards in the office until she stumbled across some adoption papers. She began reading these adoption papers only to see her name as the child that was being adopted. She was now curious as to what was going on in her family. She wanted to know why her family kept this from her for so long. She kept the papers in order to confront her family with this newfound information.

"Mom," Mandy said as her mother put down her shopping bags and began to put them away. "Why didn't you tell me I was adopted? You kept it in the dark for all 12 years of my life and you thought I wouldn't find out?"

Mandy's mother felt a wave of confusion wash over her. "How did you find those?" Her mother said as she snatched the papers from Mandy's grip. 

"I found them in your office. I want to know why you kept this in dark for so long and I also want to know who my real parents are. I feel like my whole life is a lie!" Mandy screamed in a dramatic tone. Her mother sighed heavily and began to ponder on what to do next. "I'll tell you what, tomorrow I will sit down with you and tell you whatever it is that you want to know. I just don’t have the time right now.” 

Mandy wasn’t satisfied with this answer. She sat on her bed all night awaiting Summer’s return. Summer returned at exactly 6:35 am. Mandy stayed awake the entire night ignoring her mother’s wishes for her to get rest. “Summer! Did you know that I was adopted?! Mom and Dad kept this from me for so long! This is outrageous!” Mandy yelled. Summer gave Mandy a concerning look, but she proceeded to put her hospital bag away. Summer wanted to do all she could to not let her sister’s antics upset her. But then Summer began to break down in tears.

Mandy rushed to her side to comfort her, although she was unsure why her sister was having the sudden episode. “I’m your mother,” Summer whispered. “I had you when I was 14 and I could not accept the responsibility of raising a child at such a young age. So, Mom and Dad did what they could to protect me from my mental health and judgment from others. There was just so much going on at once. It was too hard to cope with. But, despite the issues, I tried to remain close to you. I wanted to seem like a best friend figure to you. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to lie to you for all these years.” 

Mandy’s mind was nothing short of shattered. The news baffled her. “So, that’s why the papers said Mom and Dad adopted me? That’s the reason why Mom looked so hesitant when I asked her about it.” Mandy said. Mandy felt as if she had been stabbed in her back. Her mom wasn’t her mom? And her dad wasn’t her dad? So that meant Summer was her mother? It was too much to handle, yet it was Mandy’s truth.

After that day, Mandy never saw her family the way she used to. She felt like her childhood was just a huge misconception. The bond she held with her sister was no longer there. When Summer offered to hang out with her Mandy always declined. Mandy’s grades began to fall off and her attention span became very short. She could never hold a conversation with her family for more than 2 minutes without walking away. In Mandy’s head, these people were liars, and they could not be trusted. The woman who was once her sister and best friend now was her mom. And that was not a relationship Mandy wanted to start over and pursue. At least not one she was willing to pursue with her “sister”.

This sad truth haunted Mandy every day. She had so many questions. Who was her father? How did Summer even get pregnant? Why did they lie and say Summer was her sister? It was difficult for Mandy to face. Her family tried to make her go to therapy and tried to convince her to interact with them but Mandy felt as if she was nothing short of a misfit. She felt as if she did not belong in that family. She was too young to leave physically. But emotionally, Mandy was far too gone for them to try to bring her back. The truth can hurt.

May 05, 2021 04:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Olivia Dutton
17:51 May 06, 2021

hi great story

Reply

00:37 May 08, 2021

Thank youuuuuuu! <3

Reply

Olivia Dutton
13:01 May 10, 2021

your welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.