21 comments

Romance Suspense Fiction

Dr. Adrela says it happens to everyone.


“We’ve forgotten how to feel with our bodies. We get stuck in our heads, and we try to rationalize all of our feelings. Our brain is a wonderful resource, but we are overusing ours, especially when it comes to this. It can lead to problems…”


Dr. Adrela says we’ve become over-domesticated, that we’ve lost our connection to our animalistic nature. “Do you think animals in the wild are depressed? Of course not! There’s no time for depression when you are hunting for food, fighting for your life, fucking, or sleeping! Do you even know what your five senses are anymore?”


Dr. Adrela says some people just need a little reminder, a chance to turn the brain off and listen to our body. “Fear is the most primal instinct our body can experience. It can be our greatest ally, if we let it.”


As I’m lying alone in my bed, all I can think about is what Dr. Adrela told us about fear, because I am almost positive that someone is breaking into my house.


*


Sensation #1: Hearing.


I hear the crack of the sliding glass door in the kitchen first, then, its screeching as it glides across its tracks.


My heart is like a djembe, rhythmically thumping against my chest. My palms are sweaty beneath my blankets. I squeeze them into fists. I should have installed that stupid Ring alarm system, like my dumb neighbor, Jerry.


There is a long, continuous swoosh, then a click. The sliding door shuts, and the floor boards creak. The intruder is inside.


*


Sensation #2: Vision.


It is so dark in my room that I cannot see a thing. My first instinct is to fix that. I reach for my phone, but the flashlight is instantly too bright.


The moon is glowing across my carpet. It is bright enough that I can see a baseball bat across the room through the slit of my closet’s doors. When I release my legs onto the floor, I see my bare feet. At least I wore underwear tonight.


The hallway is dark, but the end of the hall is illuminated. I know full-glass walls freak some people out, but I’m certainly thankful for them now. I am trying to minimize the creaks of the floorboards with soft, slow steps, but I am like a moth drawn to a lantern: I want the light. I want to see. The closer I get to the end of the hall, the faster my heart beats. I can see it lifting my chest. I squeeze the bat in my hands. I am almost to the kitchen. I see the shadows of the dining room furniture cast across the tile. I see my reflection in the glass doors, my sweat glistening like stars. I see my veins elevated, running up my arm like rivulets of rain trickling down a window.


I see someone behind me.


“Gotcha!”


I see nothing but darkness.


*


Sensation #3: Smell.


Dr. Adrela says when you lose one of your senses, your others become heightened. I understand what she means now.


I am in a field of flowers. There are blossoms and peonies. Maybe roses, maybe lavender. My nose is tickled with a sweet and sultry scent. Is that vanilla? No, cinnamon. If an aroma could be felt, this one would be warm.


My heart is pounding. I keep inhaling.


*


Sensation #4: Touch.


Whatever is around my eyes is soft and stretchy, like the thin cotton fabric of a Hanes shirt. I am sitting down, strapped to a chair. What I assume is the leather belt I left looped through my pants is holding my chest upright, and two of my hardly-worn ties hold my wrists in place at the armrests. There’s a sudden chill brushing against my bare skin, tickling my body hair.


Long fingernails scrape against my scalp, sending goosebumps shivering down my spine. Soft, uncalloused palms streak down my cheeks, and then a sharp sting flashes across my face.


“Ow! What the – ”


“Shut up!” The words are a silk whip cracking, buttery and demanding. A claw clasps around my neck.


A second hand grips my chest. I feel those same long nails carving into my skin, threatening to penetrate the surface. Then, a swift scratch sends heat down the center of my torso.


Reflexively, my shoulders fold in and my arm jolts towards my chest, but it is met with the resistance of the tie. “Shit, ow!”


“Is this too much?”


“No, I just wasn’t expecting that. I’m fine. Are you?”


“Perfect.” Teeth clamp down on my lower lip and pull, forcing my neck to stretch forward. I feel the tension of blood pooling beneath the pressure. A tongue smooths it over before releasing me. “You weren’t really going to hit me with the bat, were you?”


“No! Sorry, that was stupid… We really should install that Ring system, though.”


Another sting across my face, sending electric volts down my body. “Shh! No breaking character!”


I’m tingling.


*


Sensation #5: Taste.


When your body is in a state of fear, there is no physical need to eat. And if you try, they – I mean, Dr. Adrela – says everything tastes metallic and bitter.


“You taste salty.”


“Sorry, I’m all sweaty.” I say, my breath heavy.


A laugh. “I really scared you, didn’t I?”


“You’re a really convincing intruder.”


“You’re a really convincing hostage.”


“Hey, honey?”


“Yeah?”


“Can you untie me now?”


*


Dr. Adrela says every couple goes through a lull. “We get comfortable with each other. Things get boring. We get depressed. We forget what it was like in the beginning when our bodies did all the talking.”


“Hey, honey?” We’ve turned on the lamp on the side table of our bed. It doesn’t illuminate the entire room, but I see what’s important. I step closer to my wife. She’s only wearing her underwear, now. I take her hands.


She averts my stare, looking down at our hands. The light reveals more than just her skin, but her insecurity. “Yeah?”


I stroke her hair, and it slides like ribbon behind her ear. I glide my finger down her cheek, tilting her chin towards my face. “You are so beautiful.”


It is subtle, but I feel her tremble. She traces the scratch on my chest, biting her lip. She doesn’t believe me.


“I don’t think we need to do all this…” I say. She’s looking up again, but not at my eyes. “Unless you want to?”


She giggles, a symphony all of its own; the soundtrack of our first five years together. “No. It was fun at first… but, then, I felt too much like a different person… Sorry, I got carried away.” She brushes her thumb across my lower lip.


“It’s OK. I didn’t mind that part…”


On tippy toes, my wife kisses me gently. Her lips are plump and buttery. I kiss her deeper.


“I missed you.”


“Me too,” I say.


*

Beneath the sanctuary of our sheets, I can’t remember a thing Dr. Adrela said.


I hear the pop of our lips, our breaths catching between each kiss. I hear the moans we abandon, both whispered and wailed.


I see my wife’s golden curls filleted beautifully across the pillow like she’s floating under water. I see her green eyes sparkling, like a gold coin twirling in the air.


I smell her garden, lush and floral: my personal bouquet.


I feel her smooth skin, supple and warm beneath my grip.


I have no appetite.


I have no fear.


I devour anyway. 

December 28, 2023 18:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

Helen A Smith
16:47 Jan 06, 2024

Oh, the sensations - so well built up. Loved the poetry of it all. Great twist and relieved they were spicing things up and it wasn’t something more sinister. Refreshing.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:08 Jan 08, 2024

Thanks Helen! I wrote this one awhile ago and revived it from the prompt. It was definitely an experiment!

Reply

Helen A Smith
14:23 Jan 08, 2024

It’s great to experiment with stories. It was great fun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Joanne Parsons
15:41 Jan 04, 2024

Nice job. I was relieved to read it was play-acting.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:15 Jan 04, 2024

Thanks for reading Joanne!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uncle Spot
21:29 Jan 03, 2024

Talk about cold, then warm, then hot, then steamy. Sensation had it all. A fun read, and I didn't see that ending coming until almost...THE END. Very nice work.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
05:31 Jan 04, 2024

Thanks, John! It's always fun to play around with different structures and see how it turns out. Appreciate your time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laura Jarosz
01:33 Jan 03, 2024

Love the way you structured this, and the narrator's voice was engaging and fun to read. Well done!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
06:05 Jan 04, 2024

Thanks, Laura! This structure was fun to execute, and having just come from your story, I must return the compliment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
14:44 Jan 02, 2024

Oh my, not what I expected as I started reading lol ! Great twist!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
06:58 Jan 04, 2024

Thanks for reading, Hannah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:17 Dec 29, 2023

A very interesting exploration of sensory details. I like the way you framed his story as a thriller, yet it ended up being a titillating exploration of a couple trying to find excitement in their relationship. A great ending too.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:40 Dec 30, 2023

Thanks for reading Michelle! It was a fun exploration, mixing the genres and trying to trick the reader. Looks like we both had some steamy ideas these past few weeks.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
20:58 Dec 30, 2023

A little bit of naughty fun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
06:55 Dec 29, 2023

Clever structure, a neat twist and plenty of steam means this story is a thoughtful sizzler. I'm pleased to be back on the platform, if only briefly, to enjoy this sister scribbler. This theme resonates in your work and, for me, it is hallmark Anne Marie; the couple recognising the mustiness on the edge of the relationship and working together to let in a blast of fresh air. They're certainly braver than most! I applaud their risks and how it revived their love of the familiar; and I applaud your writer's risks too. Bravo!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
18:51 Dec 29, 2023

Rebecca!! It's so good to see your name on here again - I was just thinking about you the other day! This little whacky weird tale I wrote last year for a different prompt but I didn't like how the first draft turned out, so a blast of fresh air is certainly what it needed when I revisited it and tried to rework it to suit this prompt. A bit of a bent interpretation but it seemed *almost* fitting enough. Nice to hear the risk was worth it! Such a pleasant surprise to have your thoughts on this one 😊 but I see you've treated me with two reads...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:48 Dec 28, 2023

Naughty play.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
07:51 Dec 29, 2023

Indeed! Thanks Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
04:28 Jan 06, 2024

Oh man, this one goes up and down a bit :) The therapy start sets a tone, then the break-in turns it upside down. Darker sure, but also funny given the circumstances. But it just gets darker from there, as our protagonist is out of his league - until the next reveal :) Fun story, and I suspect their marriage is in great shape. The sensory based approach is a neat device, both technically but for story development too. Therapy is a starting point for them, but once they use it and figure things out, it's abandoned and they indulge in their ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Viber Nilto
03:57 Jan 02, 2024

Real OR fake Novelty Passports, Drivers Licenses, ID cards , Visas, Diplomas and many other documentsOur team has years of experience producing real passports,passports and other identity documents. We use high quality equipment and materials to produce counterfeit documents. All secret features of real passports are carefully duplicated for our falsified documents.we are unique producer of quality documents.We offer only original high-quality fake passports, driver|s licenses, ID cards, stamps, Visa, school Diplomas and other products for a...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Viber Nilto
03:56 Jan 02, 2024

Government Database System..Email ( lifiben@gmail.com ) We Produce Passports,Drivers Licenses,ID Cards,Birth Certificates,Diplomas,Visas,SSN,Marriage Certificates,Divorce Papers,US Green Cards,University Degrees,Counterfeit Money,SSD Chemical Solution And Activation Banknotes dollar / euro Pounds Powder Used For Cleaning Coated Black Money, And Other Documents Cloned cards, Resident fullz and dumps For A Number Of Countries Email ( lifiben@gmail.com ) TEXT/CALL/WHATSAPP: 951-254-2452 https://clean-documents.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.