0 comments

Drama Friendship Mystery

This story contains sensitive content

Contains Abusive Language.

“What do you take me for…”

“What …”

“Don’t bullshit me Ryan. What do you take me for?”

“Bro … what’s … what’s this about?”

“Was she worth it?”

“Oh … um … you know how it goes man.”

“No I don’t! In fact, I have no idea! What’s wrong with you!?”

“… You know… sometimes things just happen… it’s never my fault.”

“Was she worth it? Was that smile worth it? I mean how many times would you be doing the same thing expecting different results? See cute eyes, and be like oh bro, look at this one, I think she’s falling in love with me,

Huh…

... then next thing I know, she stole your credit card, left you for dead somewhere, and I get to pick up the pieces of you! Tell me how many times I’m supposed to do that…”

“It was just one time man! Jus … just one …”

“Oh really. Now they’ve dwindled to just one. Tell me this then, how about that night, still at that wretched club you love going to. Do you remember it?

… No? …

The same night you called me saying … "

“Okay … okay … okay… I get the point! Now what.”

“… You’re going to do that with me now? Act a victim, and you honestly thought this is the only way of the universe, destiny as you always rant?

And you fucking didn’t answer my fucking question! What the fuck do you take me for?”

“Hey man… Just look at it squarely, objectively like you preach. Who saw the signs?

You know everything!”

“Ryan, how old are you?”

“What. Are we twelve? You know my age …”

“I want you to say it.”

“… Just cool off! Take a beer or something. You can’t get drunk with that!

And you’re still at the door. Yet you’ve started with all the interrogation!

Miranda rights...”

“Well, if that’s it, if this is how you choose to address this issue, then know this, don’t ever call me to clean up after you.”

“Hey … hey … hey … look Sarge, I know how this looks like. I mean I get it. I get it!

Okay…

I know I was stupid for believing we were from the same state. But you also saw the photos. They looked legit … Even you agreed!”

“Stop fucking up with me Ryan! Didn’t I tell you on the first day you met her, to pack and go? Didn’t I say that?

But I’m just a news anchor who’s muted on the television because, what we want is some quiet, I’m a grown up, how old are you? What’s your future like because at this point, I don’t understand where you’re heading?

Squandering money in the name of having fun?!

How old are you!”

“… Wooo…wooo …

I’m implicit of the crimes today but … let’s just take a deep breath. You know, like civilized people. I’m sorry about the beer thing:

Come on … let’s sit and talk like two guys who’ve known each other for all our lives.

You haven’t forgotten running along the river banks with sticks pretending to be horses. That was us. We didn’t fight like this bro … looking at you in the eyes right now even surprises me! We are yelling at each other. You’re even sweating. Take a chill pill.

If it’s a mistake fine… but let’s talk about it like grown men. We are decades away from those sticks, and the pancakes we stole.

We got each other’s back … that’s still there right?”

“Life is not sticks and wishful thinking … one day you’ll just vanish…  And I don’t know why that doesn’t make your skin cringe. I don’t understand...

Or would it please you that I be the first person to know you are no more? Rush into this cave, and see you strangled or something. What do you think that’ll do to me? And all the years we’ve known each other? That shit doesn’t go away!

And you fucking know it?”

“Okay. Subject terminated.”

“We deal with shit every day, but that doesn’t give you a ticket to fuck up your life like that! We all peeped into the deep abyss! A minute later we wouldn’t be here …

… it doesn’t make you any different!”

“Look. Let’s discuss this somewhere comfortable. Gentlemen. You taught me that!”

“No … no Ryan …

I’m not going to sit.

What you don’t see is that I’ve made my mind. And I mean it. If you have anything to say this would be that time.

Remember that day I stormed in your wedding, and said those words. I’m not ready to storm into anything else.

I won’t do that bro. Because to me … it seems like you want to die. It’s a death wish!

Tell me I’m wrong.”

“Noo …

I don…

… you know I have a lot of respect for you Sarge. There’s the kitchen then, if you don’t want to sit.

What was I doing anyway?  You carp seats are too low.

I simply want us to talk about it all … just hear me out!”

“I won’t sit and listen to a story told over and over! That club only has, I’m sorry to say this, fucking prostitutes. Why won’t you listen to me?

They always prowl on poor people like…”

“We not poor. That’s where you always go wrong. I mean look at this.

Who do you know has a mansion like this and is considered poor?

I have a fucking Tesla, two of them and if another comes out… You know what I’ll do … Money is created so that it can be spent. And you taught me that too!”

“Don’t do that! Twist my tongue in your favor.

I’m tired of listening to all this.

You know what, we were fucking starting our business, and all you wanted was spend all the profits. Which business school did you go to? You simply cant grow without re-investing Ryan!

Businesses are not plants!!

That was it, and I don’t know if you’ve forgotten, I fucking told you to take fucking advantage of this whirlwind that blows our long-boat forward because like many businesses, there’s a chance it may stagnate. Possibly fail, and I don’t know what you’ll spend on then.

Do you even have a plan?

Because now… You’re spending it right. Especially with the babes you parade, each time.

You’re the KING!”

“…Yeah, balling.”

“Cut me that crap Ryan.

What they are doing is use you, look for an opening to crumble your supposed empire. Wasn’t you who went bankrupt, and asked if I could lend you anything.

That you’d pay with the dividends?

Where was your spending spirit then? You could’ve spen …”

“… So you want us to go there huh!

You’ve chosen blood right!

And I’m the animal you have to keep in check!

Savage.

And don’t get me started with the righteous bullshit. You’ve done worse things and I know it.

You hear that!?

I fucking know it, and you also know it. But I’m your man … always been!

Hey… I appreciate how you helped me. I know it … you know …

Shook your marriage a little bit but I said I was sorry. I also didn’t want you to be in bad terms with Lucy. She’s a good woman, but you understood that a brother needed help.

That’s what brotherhood is about!”

“And you think I would come running back to you when you get yourself in another whirlpool? What you don’t know is I had to tell her.

She got mad, thought I was cheating, she even threatened a divorce when I was busy playing brother in arms.

So, I told her. I had to. I showed her everything. The receipts, the transactions …everything.

Authorization, everything…”

“Damn! You betrayed me like that Sarge?

You were my commanding officer, and we swore to look at each other.

You promised Sir!

What happened to fuck these bitches? There are no women in a man’s talk. You of all people understands that.”

“Don’t say that bullshit to me.

Fuck you!

You want to blame for protecting my marriage? I chose to live. I chose peace. And don’t you dare ever say that again because to be honest with you bro…

I’m getting tired of this shit. You’re not even acting as the First-Class Sergeant I know you to be.

And I don’t fucking care if you get this or not but soon, I’ll be done with you, and that’s it.

No one will ever come rescue your old ass.

You know what the boys did. They Fucking Cut You Off!

Now what do you think I’ll do if someone helping me sleep at night, threatens to push me on the edge of the cliff? Do you think I want to die?

Noo.

And yes I did shit before. I’m not the saint like you infallibly parade man!

And I’m not a hypocrite either, so if you think I’ll turn my back on Lucy? Think again!”

“ Hey… it’s okay. You see I get it.

I’m sorry I crossed the line, but you fucking saw the pictures man.

No one can fake such memories. It felt real this time.”

“Just like all the others. Weren’t you shown this time?

Hmmm…

That’s why they invented coincidence!

How do you see these girls? That they all care for you and suddenly something comes up, and you’re the only one to help them?

I get it you want to live life. We all do, and who cares? Spend money however you want. It’s yours. No one will take it away from you except these prostitutes that give you a shoulder.

What I don’t get is how you still fucking go to that place. I’ve warned you many times over!

You’re looking for death.”

“Okay I’m sorry, alright.

I’m sorry. Let’s just sink this ship.”

“Just know I can’t give you the amount you requested. I can’t.

You’re my brother. And this is why I’m here. But after that, I’m sorry man!

You leave me no choice.

You’ll die in that place!”

March 11, 2022 22:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.