2 comments

Crime Suspense Fiction

The Final Grilled Cheese Sandwich:

“A grilled cheese sandwich? Then I AM your guy!” The words lingered with the full confidence in which they were spoken. “Trust me I am known for the best-grilled cheeses this side of the Atlantic. Hell, the world even.” The words came out quick yet not rushed, Tom the self-proclaimed grilled cheese sandwich king, was becoming out of breath, sweat had left dark ovals on the armpits of his red t-shirt. The room was hot, sweltering even and Tom’s large size exacerbated this fact. Plus his girlfriend of three years was in front of him, even now after all they had been through her presence still left him on his toes. “Yeah?” The word came out stifled through a hand that covered her lips. “You’ve never made this claim before, plus I know for a fact you’re a lousy ass cook.” Lana lifted her head slightly, and now her hand was under the chin holding it up lazily. She shot him a slight, condescending smile. Tom playfully feigned being hurt and focused on the look she gave him. The usual looks of condescension and her general apathy towards him of late were weighing on him heavily. Her apparent boredom and lack of conversation over the last few months hurt him, this conversation so far has been their record best in recent memory. “Ok, let me prove you wrong. I will make you one right now you will eat it and you shall apologise for all of this slander.” She stared at him for a moment, her brown eyes stood open looking not at his eyes but his red-covered abdomen, the eyelids looked as if they were forced open and that at any moment she could fall asleep. The sound of his voice was beginning to grate upon her so to silence him she finally responded with a quiet, “Ok then.” 

Tom got to work. He scoured the fridge and found a small chunk of almost bad cheese and a fresh bottle of tomato ketchup, the cheap stuff but that didn’t matter, because this would be the grilled cheese to end them all. Bread check. Special ingredient, check. Love? Checked. “Alrighty, you better be following along here because you’re gonna see and eat some serious shit.”  

“I hope you don’t mean literally. Oh god, you KNOW I hate Ketchup.”

Tom gritted his teeth for a second, that’s a new one, he thought, she’s never complained about it before, always something with her lately. Was it him? Was he the one to blame for the ever-growing rift? Surely not! “Tough tits, don’t worry this will make it taste oh so good. Or do you want the shit sandwich instead? That more your style?” Lana shifted and exclaimed lightly, “hmph.” Tom kept his head forward trying to ignore and ride out the storm that may be coming his way. But it didn’t come. After the warm feeling left his face he looked over his shoulder she was silently tapping away on her phone, knees up against her chest. Is this good or bad? Tom had thought about this for a few more seconds and shook the thought away, it doesn’t matter he has a sandwich to make, a hole to fill and a game to win. The oven was on, the tray prepared, the bread buttered and the cheese and ketchup combination applied. Plus a little dash of the special stuff. Into the oven, it went. Time was crawling by. Five minutes felt like twenty. But it had passed and now the fabled grilled cheese was cooked. The cheese had melted and begun to turn dark brown, the bread was nicely toasted just over the perfect amount, the ketchup was nowhere to be seen but it was there and so was IT. Tom pulled the tray out and quickly dropped it onto the white kitchen counter, all they had was a brown tea towel and the heat burned through, he let out a short hiss as he popped the finger into his mouth. Lana was still glued to her screen, maybe at one time, she would inquire if he was alright, but not anymore. Her phone and what or whomever was on the other side is the apple of her eye now. Plated and cut into two triangles the steaming sandwich was placed in front of her paired with a wide grin from Tom. “Boom finished.” The words were smooth and confident, the grin remained. Lana finally pried her eyes off of the phone, quickly locked it and pressed it to her chest. She took a quick look at the sandwich and then at Tom. It didn’t look special, just a grilled cheese you could get at the cheapest cafe. To Lana, it didn’t look particularly appetising and the fact those hands put it together made her feel sick. He still loomed over her that Cheshire grin finally started to go down. “Well… There you go take a bite.” Lana put her feet on the floor and pushed her and the chair closer to the table. Tom seemed to be getting closer by the second his presence had left Lana in his shadow. His face seemed to expand, his blue eyes elongated his nose widening his black beard into a sea of hair. “Since it has ketchup, I think you’ve lost already.” The smile on Tom’s face died. 

“Just give it a chance… Please.” Lana’s heart began to race, she felt bad for how she had treated him, and for everything else. If she lingered on this thought for too long the tears behind her eyes that threatened to well up would surely make good on that threat. She swallowed and said with a warm smile, “sure, why not?” The sandwich felt oddly cool in her small hands. Had it been there that long? She lifted it and took a small smooth bite. She chewed slowly and looked into Tom’s deep blue eyes. She smiled genuinely and said, “it’s actually pretty good!” Tom laughed a little, the laugh seemed sad. His eyes had a layer of water over them. “Go-Good.”, he croaked but caught it and continued, “I told you. See ketchup does wonders.” Lana took another bite, this time a much larger one, half the triangle had been consumed. She covered her mouth as she began to speak. “I was worried there would be beard hairs or something but it seems you’ve finally stopped malting like a dog.” They both shared a little laugh and locked eyes. Lana watched as Tom finally pulled out the chair opposite of her and sat down carefully. “I wish you were like this before. I know I’m not the easiest guy to get on with but…” He sighed a little and gave Lana a melancholic look that pierced through her eyes into her soul. “I wish you hadn’t… You know.” The joy now long since drained from her face she whispered a single word, “what?” Tom nodded slowly, his gaze not leaving hers, his shadow still seemed to cover her, choking the warm orange light away. “You know. I know. It’s done. That grilled cheese”, he pointed, “is the sign that we’re over.” Lana’s throat began to feel tight and dry. “That’s my goodbye gift, my sword of vengeance. My goddamn pride Lana, sandwiched together with the cheese, ketchup and th-the poison.” Lana was already face down on the table, a thin line of tears streaming from her wide eyes. “Don’t worry I made sure I got the quickest stuff.” Fast like fast food get it, Lana? Tom chuckled. He eyed the other half of the sandwich, “maybe I am a little hungry too.”

September 08, 2022 18:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mary Lehnert
03:17 Sep 23, 2022

For a first time submission, you must, must keep writing. Good luck. Loved the brevity and that perfect ending

Reply

Louis Woolsey
17:55 Sep 23, 2022

Thank you very much it means a lot! I'll try to keep at it as much as possible. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.