Geography Watcher

Written in response to: Write a story where someone’s paranoia is justified.... view prompt

3 comments

Crime Mystery Horror

 I have always been self-conscious of everything happening around me. It is because of my social anxiety, but my mom said that it's been getting out of hand. For about a year now anytime I go somewhere I feel as if I am being watched. 


"Ana," a voice whispered.


"Who are you? This is getting out of hand! Show yourself!" I cried.


I hear the sound of a picture being taken. I look all around me but I see nothing. I pull out my phone to text my Mom.


You-It happened again. I am hearing the voices.


Mom- Okay, just go to bed you'll be fine.


You- Okay fine.


I go into bed, pull the covers up, and go to sleep. 


I kept on being woken up by the sounds of feet stomping around my room. I lay still, my body shaking with fear, not wanting the maker of the sound to know I was awake. I heard more pictures being taken of me. The sounds were coming from under my bed. It was very frightening when I heard the pictures. Then more pictures came from inside my closet. My closet is very big, around the size of a standard room, but in the back of my closet, I never go in. Then, I had the sudden urge to go pee. I know that there are people in my room and I shouldn't get up but I really need to go. I turned on my clock for some faint light then grabbed my pepper spray and flashlight.


"Ana" the voice whispered.


"Where are you?" I yelled.


I was walking to the bathroom and the voice kept on getting louder and louder. I was now in the bathroom. 


"Ana!" the voice seemed like it was yelling at me now. 


"Go away! Leave me alone whoever you are!" I screamed.


"But you know who I am! You just don't know exactly who it is," the voice seemed somewhat sad now. 


I quietly tip-toed to the bathroom door, but it suddenly slammed on my face. I tried to turn the light on but there was only a flick sound. 


"ANA!" the voice screamed at me "YOU'RE MINE NOW!"


The voice sounded as if it was right next to me. The voice had a body, and their body was suddenly pressed against mine, they placed their hands on my shoulders. 


"You'll never be free"


I woke up in a strange room with my hands tied up with a zip tie. The room looked like my Geography classroom. The books were placed immaculately just like they are at school. The chalkboard was written in handwriting that looked like my Geography teacher's but not quite. There were pictures of me hanging all over the room. Pictures of me brushing my teeth, of curling my hair, and others that shouldn’t have been taken in general. The pictures seemed as if they were taken by a friend, a person that I would let take these pictures. I know who this is I just don’t know who. 


“Well, well, well! Do you finally know who I am?” The voice said.

They emerged from the darkness. 


“It’s you! Why are you doing this to me? You’re my best friend you could’ve asked me!” I yelled.


“Except I couldn’t! You never hang out with me anymore! You leave me for your other friends! So, I had to take matters into my own hands. My hand is now your hand. You may be whatever you wish in this room. Except, whatever you do, do not leave this room!” 


It was my best friend Zero. He and I have been best friends since second grade, I don’t understand why he thinks I don’t like him anymore. I love hanging out with him! I’ve just had other things to do in my life! I have other friends, I have school, and I have a family! For heaven's sake, not everything is about him!


“Zero! We can talk this out! What are you going to do to me?” I yelled.


I had to think of something and fast!


“You know, you never asked why the room looks like the geography room! How about you ask!” he growled.


“Why is the room decorated like the geography room?” I asked


He got extremely close to my face.


“This is the room where I planned everything. The day you left me was October 28, 2021! You didn’t care that you left me! You just left! It was the worst day of my life! But I couldn't vent about it to anyone because you were the only person I had! I loved you, Ana, and I always will. You will never leave me! Your mine!”


“I’m not yours. I’ll never be Zero! Why are you doing this to me?” I cried.


“Ah, dumb Ana! I just explained everything to you! How stupid are you, you will never be free!” 


My phone. It was in my back pocket. I could text my mom! Except I don’t know where I was.


                                               -Buzz-




“What was that?” Zero asked. “Where did that noise come from?”


“I think it came from outside! You should go check maybe someone is watching you!”


He quickly stormed out of the room, so I checked my phone, it was my mom asking where I was.


“Pick up, pick up! Mom! Zero took me to a room and he kidnapped me! Help me!” 


“Your call has been forwarded to an automatic voice messaging system. At the tone please recor-”

My mom didn’t answer me. I am going to die! 


“Ana! There was no one out there! What are you planning?” He screamed from outside the door. 


                                         -Thunk-


“What’s that?” He screamed “Do you really think you could call for help? You have no signal! We are in the middle of nowhere! Ah, how many times do I have to tell you that you’re STUPID?! Give me your phone!” He demanded.


                                             -Ring-


“Answer it! Pretend everything is normal!” he yelled.


“Hi, mom! Yeah, I’m just hanging out with Zero! No, you don’t need to look at life 360! I’m just at Zero’s house! Okay, bye!” 


Zero was crazy! I was never gonna get free. 


“Ana, get in this box right now.”


“I can’t fit! I am not getting in there!”


                                         -buzz-

“Get your phone! What does the message say?”


“It says that she is glad I am hanging out with you,”


“Give me that! It says that she is coming! Get in the box!”


The box was very small, about the size of a school desk! I sat in it and the box smelled of rancid onions. There were no holes for breathing it was just a box. It had the look of the same box that kept the books in geography. I look over to Zero and he is looking out the window a car is pulling in and in the driver's seat is my mom. 


“Get in the BOX!” he screamed holding a sharp object. 


I quickly got into the box and heard sirens! The police were here! I was going to be saved! 


The police busted down the door and I heard Zero screaming and my mother crying. Zero was sitting on the box, I didn't make any noise, afraid that Zero would hurt me. In the crack of the box it had gotten darker, Zero was gone, but I could still hear the sirens.


"Look! A girl! That must be Ana!" a tall police officer yelled.


My mom looked over at me, she looked like she was going to pass out.


"Ana! I thought Zero killed you!" she cried.


The rest of the night seemed like a blur. Going to the police station after` sleeping in my mom's bed.


“Ana! We need to go to geography! Come on!” Crystal said pulling my shirt sleeve. 


I stepped into the classroom the horrifying memories pouring into my mind. 


“Mr. Carpers? May I sit next to Crystal today?” I asked.


My mom had told all the teachers what had happened so he gladly said yes. He was my favorite teacher anyways and I and Crystal would not make any noise. Okay, that's a lie! We passed notes the whole class. 


                   The End


January 24, 2023 20:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Laurel Hanson
12:51 Jan 25, 2023

Hi, you asked me to give your story a read! You have a lot going on here for a short story, and have put together a plot with rising tension that builds pretty well. At the climax, which is where the police come, there is possible a little confusion, as you mention they have arrived, but then the girl waits for hours seeing the lights, and then the mom shows up and says they have to tell the police. This is a little confusing since the police are there. You might consider, that for the climax, punchy verbs and distinct action are useful and...

Reply

Autumn Dixon
15:45 Jan 25, 2023

Wow! Thank you for reading my story, and that you for understanding everything that I put into it! Thanks for the suggestions that I need to change in the story! I didn't think anyone would read my story so thanks! This is my first time writing a short story like this and I really like it! Again, Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Autumn Dixon
18:21 Jan 25, 2023

I fixed the story! You may read the paragraph if you would like!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.