0 comments

Crime Mystery Suspense

This is the air I breathe. The taste so bitter burning down a vile. What am I to do but this? 

I sat on a second stair, it veered round up to the final curtain. That's what awaited me, behind the ensnare of deceitful heads, neither one turned. The hammer and nail flipped up and hit me hook line and sinker, only I wasn’t the bate. 

We were together, just us. It was valentine’s day, our first together after four blissful months. Alistair prepared us a picnic at central park, just us and a few early joggers. We both worked night shifts at Alistair’s father’s bistro and were drowsy head to toe as we dragged ourselves out under the rising sun. There was a moment I hoped to cherish forever, I watched as he fiddled nervously inside his pockets as we spoke of our new menu. We had another sip of wine and just as he pulled out the blue box, Alistair collapsed on the red blanket, his eyes glazed in pink.

That was over a month ago now. Here I was surrounded by people I’d once called family, all of them against me. What could I do? After he collapsed and the sunlight blinded my eyes, I could hardly register what had happened. One of the joggers ran over to us and dialled 911. I waited in the ambulance. Beeps sounded uncoordinated and rushed. The machine shook as the ambulance pulled to a stop. The paramedic began cpr, but it was too late as he died in my arms. Investigations began a week later into the cause of my boyfriend’s death. I was just coming out of my parents’ home at the time, the police pulled up arresting me under suspicion of poisoning my boyfriend.

Fast forward to this moment where I was currently sat in state court awaiting my trial. Two guards were posted at either end of the stairs in case I did a quick exit. Believe me, I had no intention of running. I wanted to know what really happened. They said I poisoned his glass but that wasn’t true. I drank the same as he did, so their logical assumption was that I’d added the poison when he was distracted. No one had come near us and I told them that he was about to propose, so why would he take his own life when he wanted to start a whole new beginning with me?

It’s strange how quickly people turn on you. When something tragic happens, the worst traits in a person can be seen, and Alistair’s family raged in anger upon me. His mother cried down the phone every night which always ended in her practically screaming death threats at me, wanting to see me hung. Alistair’s father Stephan hadn’t spoken a peep to me since it all happened, I received a slip of paper with my notice which I expected, but as I looked at the date I was confused, as it was dated a day before Alistair died.

I rang my palms together, consciously stroking the finger where I should have had my engagement ring on. This wasn’t right. Sharp clicks echoed above my head, I turned to see my lawyer sporting a solemn face. Before the trial began we had the chance to discuss my options, which unsurprisingly were limited. She led me inside a spare office room and closed the beige blinds.

‘Riley, I’ve heard from the medical examiner on this case, it was definitely a poisonous toxin that was added to his drink, they found traces of it in the cup but none in yours. The case against you is exponential.’

‘Laura, you know me, we’ve been friends since kindergarten! I would never hurt him! I’ve been framed…’ I stuttered my last words; it couldn’t be anything else. 

Why wouldn’t anyone believe me? I heard her take a deep inhale and looked up to see her flip through the file where she pulled out a picture of me in the kitchen fiddling with rat poison in the cupboard. Someone had taken this. I couldn’t believe it, but there it was. Alistair and I had found rats wandering outside in the alley behind the bistro, once when the door had been open one had scurried inside, it was a health hazard! The restaurant had to be shut for a month after the health inspector came and found the little bugger. I frowned at the image in her hand.

‘This is ridiculous! I didn’t kill him.’

‘All evidence is pointing to you,’ she said biting her lip.

‘Don’t you think it’s too much evidence, it’s all been laid out so perfectly for me to take the fall. I promise you I didn’t do this.’

‘Miss. Lyle, I am here as your lawyer purely as a defence attorney. I am just telling you the cold hard facts that you are going to have to face.’

Our little pep talk didn’t bode well for me. I made my way through the courtroom, straightening my jacket nervously under his family’s stares. They sat at the opposite end of the courtroom. From left to right, Alistair’s mum Jessica, his dad Melvin, his brother Lucas and aunt Geraldine. All scowled as I looked at them, except for Lucas, his head cast down taking a good hard look of the wood floor.

Laura walked in soon after with Prosecution lawyer. His grey hair silked back; he carried a stern exterior in his movements. They both laid their files on the table, his bulkier than ours. Goodness, they really were throwing everything at me!

Before the judge and jury stepped in, I took one final look at the family. The mother demonstrated a slit throat action and pointed at me. I’m sure Alistair would be tossing and turning. I was about to be in this family, I never knew they were wicked creatures. We all remained standing, my legs were shaking, my feet nearly slipping.

‘The state of New York calls this court to order.’

Last but most importantly the judge and jury entered the courtroom. I took three deep breaths and closed my eyes. A bang of the gavel boomed as the trial began.

‘Be seated.’

Her voice was firm. I quickly sat on the edge of my chair, keeping my wide and frightened eyes on her. From under her glasses her dark eyes moved to both lawyers.

‘Your honour,’ Mr. Flinch the prosecution began, sliding out from his chair. He strode in the free space, proud and confident. Then his slim eyes narrowed on me, ‘I stand before you on behalf of my clients, the Freeman’s. I would like to open this cold and shut case by bringing Miss. Lyle to the stand.’

I had no choice; I was going to be on the stand either way. Slowly but surely I gathered myself and walked over to the stand. My steps hit the wooden floor, knocking to the beat of my trembling heart.

‘Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?’

‘I do.’

My words spilt as a tear dribbled down my cheek. Those two words, I was supposed to take him for better for worse, for richer or poorer… til’ death do us part. Death knocked before we had the chance to begin. I sat on the bench where every icy eye locked on me.

‘Miss. Lyle, please tell the court where you were on the day of Mr. Freeman’s death.’

‘We were at central park on a date.’

‘And did anybody else know you were on this date.’ I gulped; I didn’t think so… ‘Miss. Lyle we are waiting.’

‘No, I don’t believe so.’

I could see where this was going. Wicked smiles spread on Alistair’s parents’ lips. It was horrible to witness and be a part of this. They were once kind and sweet to me. Was that all an act? Mr. Flinch hummed as he spread his hands.

‘Who prepared the picnic?’

‘Alistair prepared the picnic…’

‘And the wine too?’ He quickly interrupted.

I hesitated. His dark brows poked up; he must’ve known the answer already. I heard the judge turn in her seat towards me.

‘No, the wine was bought by me, it was supposed to be for his birthday…’ I heard creaks and steps. Time was ticking. I didn’t even wait for a second question as my life was on the line ‘…it hadn’t been opened until that picnic; Alistair popped it open as I’m sure your DNA scans will match his prints…’

I saw my lawyer visibly wince after my words, Mr. Flinch grinned ear to ear. The jury began to whisper amongst themselves. What had I done?

‘Thank you Miss. Lyle for your truth,’ he said and walked forward presenting the judge with the DNA prints that match Alistair’s. I almost breathed in relief, but he wasn’t done. ‘Now, we know for certain that there were only two people who could have put that poison in his cup, Mr. Freeman himself or you…’

‘No! I didn’t! I wouldn’t!’ I shouted standing to my feet.

‘You filthy liar, you murdered my precious boy and now you don’t even own up to it. I’m surprised he never found out your true character sooner,’ Mrs. Freeman tightly fisted the bench before her, and lay daggers on me, spitting her every word with venom.

‘Order. Order.’

Mr. Flinch stepped aside and gestured for my defence attorney to take a stand. Finally! Laura smoothed her skirt and clicked her heels forward. She presented that same picture she had showed me of the me putting away rat poison. My jaw dropped. How in any way would this help me?

‘This picture was taken a week after Christmas, before the restaurant was closed for its busiest time and grand reopening for New Years day. However, this picture wasn’t taken by cctv footage in the corner of the kitchen. It was taken from a horizontal angle, which means someone had purposely taken it. Which I put to the jury as highly suspicious. Why would someone take this picture? Was it perhaps to frame Miss. Lyle for a crime they were later thinking of committing? Was it someone’s alternative plan to shut down the restaurant?’ Her every word spoke deeply with conviction. 

She looked at me with little hope that she could save me. All she was doing was throwing accusation at the family that put me in this position. One thing I could see in her eyes was the uncertainty. She had said she wasn’t doing this as a friend but a lawyer. I couldn’t believe my friend didn’t believe in me. My eyes wandered to the family’s reaction. Mr. Freeman was smirking, as Mrs. Freeman softly cried into her sons’ shoulder who hadn’t lifted his head yet, the aunt covered her mouth in a fake gasp.

Mr. Flinch arose, nodding his head at Laura for her sneaky words of defence. Turning to the jury and the judge, he began to cross examine.

‘Indeed, the restaurant closing was a funny business. When we take a look at what led to it, I think we can all come to a solid conclusion… it was all Miss. Lyle’s doing.’ He walked to his desk and handed out written statements to the judge and jury, ‘I have Miss. Lyle’s colleagues’ statements that say she is ambitious, hard working and a task master. Someone who is always at the top of her game and quite competitive. One in particular recalls a conversation her and Alistair had about the restaurant, she said she had big ideas that were being pushed aside. Interesting that not long after when the health inspector is due to arrive, a rat is found in the premises. Coincidence, maybe.’

‘Miss. Lyle and Alistair worked on their ideas together, we have several witness report that claim so,’ Laura handed her own witness statements.

The judge read over everything with a frown. My heart was skipping with every passing second. I had no idea what anyone was thinking.

‘Creative geniuses often disagree. In fact Miss. Lyle and the restaurant owner Mr. Freeman have often butted heads. Seen together in a heated row just a week after the restaurant reopened.’ Mr. Flinch looked at me again. Why wasn’t anyone else being called to the stand? Again, another question incoming, ‘what were you arguing about?’

‘It was about Alistair…’ I didn’t know how to say my next words without them sounding even more suspicious. Eyes pressed on me, Laura’s sternly urging me to answer. ‘Alistair and I were planning to move away and buy another restaurant; we were already creating our own menu and ideas…’

‘A-ha,’ Mr. Flinch pointed at me. I frowned at him unsurely. ‘Rivalry, disagreements, and of course money…’

‘That has nothing to do with this!’ I stressed.

‘Mr. Freeman was planning to fire you even before Alistair was murdered. You needed the money though didn’t you, to start over, to build a new enterprise…’

‘How does that make sense? If anything he murdered his own son because he knew he couldn’t control him anymore!’

The court silenced after my words. Mr. Freeman’s face became somber, he too began to tear up slowly, though not as much as his wife. This whole charade was getting tiresome.

‘And you wanted to control him too, didn’t you Miss. Lyle? After all it was you who brought this wedge between them, you who encouraged him to leave and start again with you…’ Tears streamed down my face. Would no one believe me? Laura had gone deadly quiet. ‘…did it pain you to know that Alistair had invested in his father’s restaurant?’

‘What?’ I looked up in shock. Alistair wouldn’t… he couldn’t…

This didn’t make sense.

The documents of money transfer were showed to all and lastly me. I looked at it, but I couldn’t believe it.

‘This can’t be real. Alistair wanted to start over… he said…’

‘What you wanted to hear, or more accurately what you want us to believe.’

I lifted my head to the family, Lucas’s pained eyes met mine before he dropped his head again. I heard high hills hit the floor and watched as Laura retreated behind her desk and looked through the files, her own head dropped at the final page. Mr. Flinch rubbed his hands in success. I watched him silently walk to his desk and open his suitcase where he pulled out a plastic bag, I saw through the material the blue box that Alistair would have opened if he’d only been given the chance. Mr. Flinch strode back to the stand after being handed some plastic gloves. He opened the zip and pulled out the box. I waited in anticipation as he did. Finally, the lid was lifted, inside lay a small silver key. My mouth fell shut. He showed it to the courtroom.

‘I think you were planning to poison Alistair’s father at first but the betrayal of someone you loved, someone who had just bought a flat around the corner from his father’s restaurant hit you hard. You acted in the park viscously. Pouring the poison in his cup.’

Again, papers were shown of the flat’s purchase. This couldn’t be real!

‘My client has said though, she thought he was going to propose. How would she know that there was a key inside?’

I was completely and utterly dumbfounded. The Freeman’s had gotten the best of me and now succeeded in destroying me with their lies.

‘Because we have a witness who says they saw her with the key and the box. Who saw her devastation, who saw her drive off into the night in the direction of the bistro…’

Mr. Flinch turned around slowly. I looked over to the family. The one I didn’t want to stand, the one who I loved as my brother, Lucas lifted himself to his feet and slowly nodded his head. I noticed the subtle tug his mother gave on his hand.

‘It’s true.’

I shook my head and held my cold hand to my mouth hiding the sob that shook me. He lied. No one believed me. I’d been framed. Someone had done this to Alistair. I don’t know how, but they did, and now I knew he wouldn’t get the justice he deserved.

The jury was out and back in a heartbeat with their final verdict.

‘How do you find the defendant?’

‘Guilty.’

November 30, 2020 12:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.