0 comments

Mystery

Hey Neeta, wake up don’t you have college today. You are getting lazier day by day. You used to be so active in your school days. Neeta’s mother was trying to pull her daughter out of bed. Oh, Ma why don’t you let me sleep for some time, I was studying the whole night ma, she pulled her blanket and tried to couch herself. But Neeta’s mother pulled her out of bed until she woke up. Neeta with a frown on her face pulled her lazy legs into the bathroom. She rammed the door giving an angry look to her mother. A little later she barged into the kitchen, “Ma, fast I want coffee with breakfast. You woke me so early right, now give me breakfast I am hungry.” You hungry devil, why did I ever wake you up” with a loud laugh she put the breakfast plate in front of Neeta. Neeta gobbled her breakfast and set out to her college. She used to cycle her way when she was in school. Now she owned a two wheeler which would vroom her way to college. Neeta was a very smart kid right from her childhood. She was an A grade student all throughout her school. Now she was in her first year of her higher secondary. Neeta finished her class and returned home. She had a surprise waiting .Her maternal uncle Rishab was talking to her father. Neeta jumped with joy and started looking around to meet her little cousin Rohan who was a chubby little two year old. “Uncle Rishab where is Rohan my cute little cousin, didn’t you bring him, where is aunt Geetha I cannot find her”. “Wait, child breathe easy, I will answer to your questions, and Geetha aunty and Rohan haven’t come. I have bought a new bungalow in my town I came here to invite you guys to the house warming ceremony, it’s on Feb 28. I hope you will be free to attend my little girl. “Oh no uncle couldn’t you extend the function for a fortnight. I have my exams from March 1st and I won’t be able to attend the function. Neeta was so upset that she was almost in tears. Her Dad Srikanth consoled her saying” it’s ok kid, you can visit your Uncle’s house once you finish your exams.” , “No Papa, I want to attend the function and meet my little bro Rohan, it been so long since I have met him and Geetha Aunty”. Then Neeta’s mother intervened saying,” Look, Neeta you cannot attend the function, your exam is just next day and you have to prepare for it, did I make my point clear”. Neeta furiously barged into her room and locked the door. She was almost shattered and crying that she was not allowed to come with them. Then Neeta’s dad Srikanth came to the rescue. He cajoled and consoled his daughter. “Child, your mom is right, your exam is just the next day of the function and you need to brush up your lessons isn’t it. “But Papa, I will promise you that I will prepare for the exams very well so that you would let me attend the function, please dad”. “Fine child, you can attend on one condition you have to study well and top the class”. Neeta hugged her dad hard, “My sweet dad, I’m so happy”. Jumping with joy she went into her room. Though Neeta’s mother Kavitha was reluctant in taking Neeta to the function finally she accepted. Kavitha had to leave early for the function so that she could help Geetha in arranging things for the occasion. Neeta and her father Srikanth reached just a day before the function. She was very well prepared for the exams, hence enjoyed the rituals happy and gay. She played with Rohan and moved behind her aunt helping her in simple chores. She had to leave her uncle’s house the same day along with her dad. But something untoward happened and kavitha fell sick and she had to stay back. Srikanth was forced to stay back with her as she was hospitalised. Neeta had to travel alone. She was a brave girl yet her parents were worried to send her alone. She was travelling alone for the first time, though a bit nervous she made up her mind and set out to reach her house. She travelled by train and reached the station where she had to get down. She had to board a bus to reach her house. When she boarded the bus, she felt something unusual. She felt a chill in her bones, she looked back to see a strange character staring at her. He was horrifying; the pitch dark complexioned man had a long scar on his face. His face looked ugly and fearful. Neeta felt her pulse rate beat faster, she was palpating, and she felt her heart thumping hard. She was drenched with perspiration. The man behind who was eyeing on her and waving at her looked weird. She couldn’t even look back. That was the last stop; the bus would go no further. She got down at the bus stand and walked as fast as she could. She had to walk a few hundred metres from the stand to reach her house. The strange looking creature got down the bus and followed her. It was pitch dark and the street lights were gone off due to a scheduled power cut. She felt that someone was following her lo the weird looking man was almost on his toes behind her. Neeta with a running spree took to her toes. The man also followed her in the same pace. She ran as fast as she could until she reached her house. She looked behind to see the man at the corner of the street. She opened the door and barged in, closed the door with a bang. Neeta saw that man opening the gate; she just wanted to scream loud to wake her neighbours she saw something fall from the open window. It was shining bright with an led display. “Oh my God, it’s my Swiss watch which was given as a present by my Uncle. He had brought this watch from Switzerland, it’s my favourite watch.” “How on earth I didn’t find out that it was fallen down. She just peeped through the window. The person who looked weird and horrifying whose footsteps did bring shivers to Neeta, was actually a good Samaritan who had followed her to return her precious watch which had fallen down when she tried to board the bus. The stranger had seen it and had picked it up to return her priceless possession. He could neither talk nor hear hence he had followed her to return the same. But Neeta had mistaken him to be an ill-gotten villain who was trying to pounce on her. She smiled with a relief on her face. The weird looking stranger smiled back and bid goodbye.

 


May 15, 2020 17:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.