What Can You Do?

Submitted into Contest #138 in response to: Set your story on a day when the sun never sets.... view prompt

3 comments

Suspense

It was a day like any other slow, quiet, and calm. Time seemed to creep slower and slower each day. This day seemed to be peculiar I had to admit, then it dawned on me, time changed. No wonder I feel sleepier than normal, I lost an hour. All good life will go on I guess. Time to start my day at 8:00 AM instead of 9:00 AM; I really could have used the extra hour of sleep. As I was making my way downstairs I was hit harshly with the deep unpleasant burning sensation of sunlight in my face due to someone forgetting to close the curtains in the spare bedroom. I hate the sun. I'm very fair-skinned, so I being in the sun, no way! I rush over to the long draping curtains and quickly yank them closed. Taking a deep breath I tried to continue my morning ritual of coffee, breakfast, newspaper; go back upstairs and hopefully enjoy my time at my desk writing all day. My wife Kacey, usually handles everything downstairs so I can continue to write and hopefully score a huge publisher. It's my life dream to sell thousands of MY books in stores, I just haven't had the "big break" yet. "Honey breakfast is ready for you", my wife called. "On my way down", I called to my wife. I quickly stumble down the stairs because Kacey usually makes a smashing omelet that makes your mouth water. We have lots of windows in our house and it seemed the light from outside was beaming brighter than usual. I reached the bottom of the stairs and looked around for a couple of seconds before proceeding to the kitchen table. "Kacey, doesn't it seem a little bright in here?" "Um not sure, it seems pretty normal to me. Maybe you're starting to form a migraine. That is a sign you know, from staring at your computer for long periods." she said. Now that I think about it she may be right I have been writing a lot lately and not taking frequent breaks like I'm supposed to. "I'm going to go for a walk today would you like to join me?", I asked my wife eagerly. "Not today John, I have a lot of cleaning to do in the house as well as paperwork to catch up on. You go and have a great walk and tell me all about it when you return" she smiled and said. I got up from the table with a mouth full of milk, grabbing my plate to place it in the sink for my wife. I should help out more around the house but there seems to never be enough time in the day. When it gets dark I want to hit the bed and have it all start over again. "I'll be back in a few hours!", I explained waving and walking out the door.

I never get out of the house much its usually work, eat, and sleep but not today. I started walking down our street, we have a pretty nice neighborhood, can't complain. No break-ins, no murders, and no stealing just a nice peaceful life around here. I think I may stop in at the ice cream shop and get myself a cone while I walk, I just won't tell Kacey about that one! I laughed to myself. Then suddenly I heard a scream coming from down the street. I turn to look and see what was going on and a lady was getting mugged! I ran towards the lady, by the time I reached her the man was about one hundred yards away! "What happened?" I said as I picked her up off the ground. The lady said with a trembling voice, "I'm...I'm not sure! The guy came out of nowhere and yanked my purse from me, yelled, and said every man for themselves its the end!" What in the world. That guy must have been high on something. That's crazy for around here. Maybe I shouldn't be walking around here anymore. I finished helping the lady collect herself and dust herself off, and proceeded to walk her to the police station to report what had transpired. We were talking about the no crime neighborhood may be taking a turn for the worst in the next couple of years, then she said what I've been thinking all day. "Maybe it's the sun being so close to the earth today, it's got everyone going crazy or something." I stopped walking when she said that and asked, "So you have noticed it also?" "Of course, it's so bright today that means the sun is closer than usual to our earth and everyone thinks it's the end of the world." said explained. I must have had a very confused look on my face because that was the first I'd heard about that, and she looked at me concerned. I pointed at the police station and said "Here we are let's go make that report so we can continue with our day." As we were walking closer to the station, we both quickly noticed that no cars were outside. I walked up to the door, there was a sign that read "Closed due to strange natural occurrences, please take caution inside your own home immediately." My mouth dropped, they close down the whole station! What could this mean? Am I going crazy? I can't be because this lady has witnessed it also. I check my watch to see what time it was and it's only just now 9:00 AM, so I have only been gone an hour from my home. Maybe I should call Kacey and see if she's heard any strange things on the news? No, that would just worry her. "Sir, I'm just going to head home like the sign said and report this crime tomorrow, you take care!" the lady said as walking off quickly.

I decide to walk more through town to see if any stores are open. I started walking and noticed my favorite ice cream shop, which I was excited to sneak to, was closed." Darn!" I yelled out loud. I'm not concerned with this end of the world junk people keep crying about. It's all fear and no truth. I see people are going in and out of the local grocery store, let me go there and see if there's any fuss about this mess there. As I'm walking towards the store and getting closer I believe I see people raiding the shelves walking closer, and in fact, that's exactly what's happening! Wow, I can't believe this.. maybe I need to go check out what is left and try and grab some things before it's all gone. I try to push my way in and was stopped by my name being called. I turned and look to my right and there is my ex-co-worker Tommy. "Hey, buddy have you seen the news?" Tommy askes. "No I was just going for a walk to get a break from writing and I ran into a lady who.." as I was interrupted by Tommy who said, "Look, man! You need to get some stuff that you need and get home quickly! The news people are talking about meters falling and the sun exploding, something unreal happening! Get home safe! See you later man." I just stood there in awe as to what is going on. Shockingly, I moved my feet one after another and made a walking movement towards the water aisle. I hurried and grabbed as much as I could and started slightly jogging towards a checkout. No one was stopping though, there weren't even any workers that I could see in the whole store. I didn't feel right not paying for what I just got but what was I to do? I started getting a little fearful, especially when I walked outside and the sun was blazing now compared to ten minutes ago. All I can think about is Kacey, is she okay, did she stay home? I have to get there fast! I started sprinting down the road trying to get home as fast as I could but these waters were a little heavier than they were earlier. I can see my house in the near distance. The sweat dripping down in my face was vexing me. Debated stopping and opening these packs of waters and getting a swallow but I'm so close I should just wait. I reached my doorsteps and dropped the pack of water to reach for my keys to unlock the door. No matter how safe our community is/was Kacey would always lock the door behind me and herself. Then I had a chilling feeling over my body. Where are my keys, did I drop them? I start knocking on the door, no answer. I look around at our carport and I didn't even notice that Kacey's car was gone. "Darn!" I exclaimed out loud. Where could she have gone, has she seen the news and decided to go get supplies as well? Hopefully, I could find a window unlocked somewhere, we do have a lot of them I laughed at myself. I shuffle myself around the house to push up on every window hoping by chance one would be open so I could at least be in the AC with this sun scorching like it is. *Slide* Thank goodness, one was open! I walk back around to the front door and I'm relieved to see my wife is pulling into the driveway.

I think to myself where were you five minutes ago when I was climbing around the house walls. I rush over to her and open her car door and frantically say in a somewhat joking manner "Where have you been, the world is kinda ending you know?" She didn't seem so enthused by my comment by her facial expression. "Yea something is going on with the sun the news is saying, maybe it's going to explode?" she said in a stern questionable way. "I really hope not I have things to do, places to go, and goals to reach. That would just be a huge bummer on those plans." I joked. "You really shouldn't be joking right now, John! Something is going on and we need to prepare for whatever it is," she said getting out of the car and slamming the door. "I know honey, I'm just trying to joke around because I'm really worried; nothing like this has happened before. Maybe we should just go inside bunker down and play some card games, watch some movies, and be distracted from whatever it is. Live our possibly last day spending time together." I told her in a more appropriate tone. "Is that really a good idea, shouldn't we pay attention to what to do or if we have to evacuate?" she said in almost tears. "If the sun explodes what could anyone do honey? Moving down the street wouldn't help us. If it is our time, it is our time" I said somewhat worried but calmly. I watched as she walked inside looking down with what looked like a depressed and defeated look on her face. "Honey stop! If you want to watch the news go for it! I just don't think it's beneficial for us to do that." I said running behind her. "No you're absolutely right, what could anyone do?" She asked. I don't know, I just don't know I thought to myself.

                     Three weeks later.

I just thought a couple of weeks ago my day was unusual, I had no idea. Peaking behind one of our curtains could be devastating from how hot and bright the sun is now. Some weeks have passed not sure how long I don't keep track; the sun has not set once! Not only has it moved closer to earth but it won't go away. That's what the scientist are saying on the news anyways. I need to go get some water from downstairs but we are trying to save as many supplies as we can. Everyone's electricity and water have been turned off in the neighborhood. News says the whole world has as well, something about the sun being so hot, and won't set; it is busting our electric systems that could cost billions to repair. I'm not real sure about all that, I'm just a writer but seems to me; that's not good. That was reported the day our electricity was turned off, it's been three days with no more information. I walk around the room to find my slippers to go downstairs, I need to see what Kacey is up to down there. Not only have we been extremely hot in this house, but she has been obsessing over what to do. I have no answers other than just waiting it out? The sun can't just stay forever in one spot, right? I was never good at science though maybe it could? I finally found my slippers kicked under the bed, I reach under the bed to grab them then I'm startled by Kacey saying, "Hey, what are you doing? I need help duct taping the windows more to keep the heat out as much as possible." I grab my slippers and use the bed to pull myself back up off the floor while my knees pop from my old age. I glance at her annoyed, and say; "Don't you think there's enough duct tape on these windows? I really could use a drink of water it's so hot in here." I try to calmly walk downstairs to accomplish my task of getting some water and notice she's following me. Kinda looks annoyed herself, I must have said something wrong again. "You're hot, you're thirsty well so are billions of other people. You could help me with this and maybe it wouldn't be so hot in here. Cindy next door said this isn't going to end anytime soon, and we need to prepare for the worst." She said aggravated. I didn't want to upset her any more than I already did because this is a very stressful time. Tension is high so I agree and walk with her to tape up the windows. As we tape the windows up I say, "I am a little concerned I have to admit. The flowers, grass, and trees are already withering away; What about the crops? How are we going to eat when we can't even go outside for more than five minutes without burning?" If we can't go outside we can't go buy or get food and supplies, like there would be anymore anyways. "I know John it's really getting to me. Maybe this is the end, maybe it is just the beginning to a new way of living, a new world...".

March 22, 2022 23:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Teona Tas
19:32 Apr 01, 2022

I really liked the last paragraph and would like to see it at the beginnings maybe, to dive into more details about the new world. And the tension between the spouses with two different characaters is a good match but maybe it could have been more subtle; more like showing rather than telling.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
00:58 Mar 29, 2022

This is an interesting scenario. I like that nobody is really sure what to do about -- after all, it's like they said, nothing like this has happened before -- and there's this growing dread as they are slowly realizing this might be the end. So what do they do? Try going on anyway, distracting themselves with as much normal as possible, and hoping. I do think the story could use some more formatting though. Some of the paragraphs were very big, and it made it a little confusing when there was dialogue. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Heather Robinson
12:59 Mar 23, 2022

Very interesting and would like to read more!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.