Gestures and Genuflection

Written in response to: Write about a character who finds Valentine’s Day sickly sweet.... view prompt

0 comments

Christian Teens & Young Adult Creative Nonfiction

Saint Valentine’s Day.

The celebration of love and affection.

The rose is red, the violet’s blue

The honey’s sweet, and so are you

Thou art my love and I am thine;

I drew thee to my Valentine:

The lot was cast and then I drew,

And Fortune said it shou’d be you.

The modern cliche’ Valentine’s Day poem can be found in Gammer Gurton’s Garland (1784) You read that correctly 1-7-8-4. A collection of English Nursery Rhymes published in London.

Clearly, the writer has yet to experience “Bumble” or “Hinge”, “Mingle”. “Silver” this or “Silver” that.

Can the written words of this poem stand the test of time? Can “Bumble” “Silver” this or that stand the test of time. Modern times embrace and encourage not giving it the “old college try” because it’s “TOO” difficult, or “NOT” fair. Takes too long.

Keeping in mind as we dissect the words. Like a frog. Nursery rhymes were written, ironically, as stories to help youngsters fall asleep to. But hidden deep within their beautiful melodies, rhymes and cadences often contained very dark meanings. Falling into slumberland, tossing and turning to the dark, dark thoughts now circulating around the mind.

Does the writing stand the test of time? “Hinge” and “Bumble” seem to facilitate a spirit of “over before it’s over”. Before a person had a chance to weather the weather, the storm. “TOO” difficult. “NOT” fair. Takes too long.

SO. Let’s unpack. The words. The sentences.

1) Is this writer fishing? Playing cards?

”The lot was cast, and then I drew”.

2) Is the writer feeling “lucky”

And Fortune said it “shou’d” be you. Lack “free” will….yes, no?

2)Is this writer feeling UN-fortunate, like perhaps they “caught” a “booby prize”, A dead fish.?

And Fortune said it “shou’d” be you.

3)Thou art my love and I am thine.

Say’s who?

(“Hinge”? “Bumble”?)

Nope.

4)The honey’s sweet, and so are you.

Sweet or sour?

5)How would you react or feel if this poem was written with you in the writer’s mind? Good, Bad, Lucky, Arrived.

6) And Fortune said, it “shou’d be you.

What defines , “Fortune”. What is Fortune. A phrase written on a plastic piece of paper wrapped in a cookie? A tiny comic strip of humor wrapped around bazooka gum.

7) I drew thee to my Valentine

Sound creepy? Does to me.

8) The rose is red, the violet’s blue.

Does this poem project “speak” as a gesture of affection or love?

9) Thou art my love and I am thine.

Would you consider good Fortune, love?

Cash, Check, Money order?

10) Then I drew.

What? The short stick?

Gesture: A movement of part of the body, especially a hand or the head to express an idea or a meaning.

If you received this poem as a gesture from someone:

Would you consider good Fortune, love?

How would you respond?

Frame the work.?

Share the work with another.?

Share your fortune?

Tear it up?

Tear up? (it’s perceived beauty to you)

Churn inside with sentimentality?

Feel touched.

Happy, glad, relieved you just got “something, anything”…on this day of celebrating “love”.

Sing the words aloud?

Cherish it?

Dance to it?

Reminder: Some nursery rhymes contain dark themes.

Would your mouth open agape as you read the meaning? Like you wanted to shout something good or bad?

Agape: In Christianity, defined as unconditional love, the highest form of love, charity and the love of God for man, and of man for God.

Surrender. It is permission to not “fix” it all? We all come from somewhere.

Historically, Saint Valentine’s Day, the day of celebration of love and affection, is observed on various dates.

A bit of history:

February 14 is an observed date of remembering Saint Valentine. The day is not a public holiday in any country.Fixed by the Western Christian Church. It is an official feast day in the Anglican communion (breaking, offering, sharing of bread) and Lutheran Church. In Eastern Orthodox Church practices, fixed by Eastern Orthodox Church the date of July 6. Many but not ALL Orthodox followers observe, celebrate, acknowledge Saint Valentine’s Day on July 6 in honor of Roman Presbyter Saint Valentine. On July 30, in honor of Hieromartyr Valentino, the Bishop of Interamna (modern Terni). Whose physical remains, as it has been told, rest in Terni, Italy. Terni is a geographical location. Latin for : between-two-rivers.

It’s all about the water. (Seeing if you are still awake!) A somewhat quick, “Hinge” and “Bumble” kind of (sarcastic) way to connect and say: With progress comes sacrifice.

I lost you with that one huh. Not surprising with the rapid pace of see, look, remember , tap, tap, tap and recall required of a mind. Of today’s mind’s map. No time to think, yet takes too long.

Would you go “All in” with the writer of the poem? Wholeheartedly agree with all concepts written “AS IS”. Watch and watch again the big-picture-thoughts of the poem? On a screen. Most important. Do you, can you,

Commit?

Are you “passionate” about it? Do you “love it”. You ask: Can’t I just take bits and pieces? I cannot possibly commit. “TOO” hard. “NOT” fair.

Scarey. Yep. Who are you gonna “play” the life game with. Does “Hinge” or “Bumble” “Silver” this or that REALLY know better who is a best fit for “love”?

What to do. What to do.

If you feel it, it probably is. True. If you go through the motions, that is one way to “skin” a cat. If you go through the motion with the notion of love and respect, there is worth in this action. There is hope. Keep in mind:

Hope can be a four letter word.

Alternatively better than gibberish, tempting words, written on a “Fortune” cookie, or in casting for and catching a dead fish.

Genuflection: Lowering one’s body briefly or bending one knee to the ground, typically in worship or as a sign of respect. What could possible be wrong with this simple act?

Well, in the interest of playing cards/drawing it. The play may be in playing you for a fool. (Hey, I never enjoyed nursery rhymes.) Genuflecting plays your truth openly. It plays your hand too. For some, it is the outward act of admitting your allegiance, alliance.

The truth.

Sounds rather cynical on the day reserved for celebration of love affection wouldn’t you say? Perhaps that is why, gotta keep it hidden behind that screen.

Heck, Photoshop may just be the ticket! Happy Valentine’s Day!

February 11, 2022 21:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.