Office Connections

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write a story about two people falling in love via email.... view prompt

4 comments

Fiction Happy Romance

Subject: Concerns About Project Progress and Project Readiness

From: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

To: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

Hey Mark,

I hope this email finds you well. I just wanted to check in regarding the project's progress. I noticed a few areas in your last report that might need some attention before we finalize everything. Let's sync up soon to ensure we're on track and avoid any potential issues down the line. Your insights and collaboration are valuable as we move forward with this project. Let's connect soon to discuss further and ensure our efforts align seamlessly.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Sarah

...

Subject: Re: Concerns About Project Progress and Project Readiness

From: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

To: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm currently reviewing the areas you mentioned and making the needed adjustments for our project to be finished. I'll provide you with an updated report once I've addressed these concerns. Appreciate your diligence in keeping things on track.

Best,

Mark

...

Subject: Progress and wellbeing Check-In for Work Project

From: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

To: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

Mark,

Just wanted to touch base again regarding the revisions. I haven't received an update yet, and I want to ensure we're making good progress as the deadline approaches. Let me know if you need any assistance or if there are any roadblocks I can help remove.

Thanks,

Sarah

...

Subject: Re: Progress and wellbeing Check-In for Work Project

From: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

To: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

Sarah,

I'm still fine-tuning the revisions and everything involved. Appreciate your offer to help, but I've got it under control. I'll keep you posted on my progress, but I promise I've got this.

Regards,

Mark

...

Subject: Finalizing Project Details for Thursday

From: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

To: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

Mark,

I understand you're working on the revisions, but we need to ensure everything is wrapped up soon. The deadline is fast approaching, and we can't afford any delays. Let's prioritize this to meet our timelines effectively.

Thanks,

Sarah

...

Subject: Re: Finalizing Project Details for Thursday

From: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

To: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

Sarah,

I'm completely aware of the urgency, and I'm putting in the necessary effort to complete the revisions as quick as I can. Rest assured, Sarah, I'll have them ready before the deadline. Please understand and give me the time I need.

The best,

Mark

...

Subject: Proposal

From: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

To: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

Hi Mark,

I apologize for the tension I have concerned our relationship with as of late. I was thinking it would be beneficial (given the project) for us to talk and discuss with each other in a more collaborative environment. How about we set aside some time to discuss strategies for improving teamwork and communication? I believe working together harmoniously will ultimately benefit the project's success. I apologize for my previous attitude, I am just trying to keep life as simple as can be.

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Sarah

...

Subject: Re: Proposal

From: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

To: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

Sarah,

I genuinely appreciate your initiative in suggesting this, it means a lot to me. I agree that improving our teamwork and such is important in the long run, and it will benefit us both since work has been such a time consumer as of late. We should schedule to meet sometime soon.

Regards,

Mark

...

Subject: Coffee Break Invitation

From: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

To: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

Hey Mark,

In light of our efforts to improve team dynamics, how about we take a break from work and grab a coffee together? It might provide us with an opportunity to connect on a personal level and give some insight to how to approach the rest of our time as coworkers.

Looking forward to catching up,

Sarah

...

Subject: Re: Coffee Break Invitation

From: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

To: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

Sarah,

This is a great idea, thank you for the offer. Let's meet at the café downstairs at 3? Any time today will work for me though, earlier or later.

Appreciating the offer,

Mark

...

Subject: Re: Re: Coffee Break Invitation

From: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

To: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

Perfect! I'll see you there.

Sarah

...

Subject: Reflecting on our Coffee Break

From: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

To: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

Hi Mark,

I wanted to express my gratitude for meeting me for coffee the other day. It was refreshing to have a casual chat outside of work. I believe moments like these strengthen our bond as colleagues. Looking forward to more opportunities to connect outside the office.

Best regards,

Sarah

...

Subject: Re: Reflecting on our Coffee Break

From: Mark mark.workmate@yahoo.com

To: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

Sarah,

I couldn't agree more. It was really nice (for me) to be able to finally sit down and relax with someone I enjoy, and someone who deals with the same things I have to, and can relate with me, lol. I'd love to continue our positive working relationship as we go. 

Thanks,

Mark

...

Subject: An invitation for you,

From: Mark MarkInRealLife@gmail.com

To: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

Hi Sarah,

I thoroughly enjoyed our coffee break, and I was thinking it could be nice to continue our talk over a dinner sometime. Would you be interested in joining me for that this weekend? I believe it'd be a great opportunity to have fun and relax, while getting to know each other outside of work. It's perfectly fine if you'd rather not though, I still appreciate our professional relationship.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Mark

...

Subject: Invitation response

From: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

To: Mark MarkInRealLife@gmail.com

Mark,

I appreciate the invitation. Dinner sounds lovely. Let's plan on meeting at the Italian place downtown at 7 pm on Saturday?

Looking forward to whatever we do,

Sarah

...

Subject: Confirming Dinner Plans

From: Mark MarkInRealLife@gmail.com

To: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

Sarah,

I love that place. I'll see you there, Saturday, 7pm sharp. Can't wait to spend time getting to know you outside of work.

Mark

...

Subject: Re: Confirming Dinner Plans

From: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

To: Mark MarkInRealLife@gmail.com

Sounds like a plan, Mark. Looking forward to it.

Sarah

...

Subject: Dinner

From: Mark MarkInRealLife@gmail.com

To: Sarah sarah.writes@gmail.com

Counting down the days, Sarah.

Mark

February 10, 2024 01:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Karen Hope
00:14 Feb 22, 2024

This feels so realistic - the formal work emails becoming gradually informal and friendly. It's easy to stress out over group projects, especially before you know you can rely on the other person. I picked this prompt too... such a fun way to tell as story. Really well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
18:04 Feb 20, 2024

The switch to more casual e-mails was a great detail. Great job !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen A Smith
16:12 Feb 18, 2024

I can relate to this. I liked the way the formal emails changed to something infinitely more friendly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristina Aziz
06:14 Feb 18, 2024

I like how the emails gradually became less formal! Sweet story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.