1 comment

General



Hi! My name is Nicole Wright-Jones and I want to tell you the story of how I met my husband Donnie. It is one of those stories that you read about in books or see in the movies. 

It was two years ago. I was working at JC’s advertising company. Donald worked across the hall for as a technician at Lowell’s industry company. One day as I was walking in the building, he was walking in as well. We briefly said hello and went about our days. I would see him almost every morning as we made it to work around the same time. It was always hey, how are you and we would go to our place of work. Two months later I found out that he had been offered another position somewhere else and I wouldn’t ever see him again. So I thought. 

One night I went out with my girlfriend’s and they were talking about their husbands or boyfriends and I was the only one in the crew that didn’t have either. My friend Stacy asked me was even trying to date and told me it was time for me to find the one. I laughed and said I did find the one only I don’t know where he works anymore. They asked me how did I know he was the one! I said because I just do. I started to talk about him and how handsome he is. I talked about how we would always speak to each other while going into work but never had a real conversation. They laughed at me and called me crazy for wanting to be with someone that I never had a conversation with and I didn’t know where he was. I laughed and agreed with them that it sounded silly but I knew in my heart that I wanted him and him only. When I returned home that night I thought about the day I would meet him and have the conversation and then I went to sleep.

The next morning I got up and went for my morning jog. I decided to go to the park. I usually just jog in my neighborhood. While I was jogging I noticed a sign for some kind of contest. The prizes included winning a million dollars, winning a trip to Paris, a brand new car, and a chance to go out with a bachelor. I laughed to myself and said I could use all of them, except the bachelor. If it wasn’t Donald Wright I wasn’t interested. I decided that I would enter the contest just to see if I would win. I left the park hoping to win and thinking maybe he is the bachelor. I was so lost in my dreams that I didn’t get any information on when the contest would end. I was just doing it because I saw it. I went home showered, dressed for work and went on about my day. Two weeks later I received a call from the contest telling me that I had one the date with the bachelor but it would be another two months before we could go on the date because he was out of town on business. They would not tell me his name or anything about him. They just told me when he gets back in town that he would contact me and set the day and time for the date. I said ok, thinking to myself that’s pretty crappy. I won a date but have to wait two months and they will not tell me his name. I said oh well, but deep down inside I was wishing that it would be Donald. 

I was working so much that I forgot about the date. Advertising can be stressful at times and working on this ad was taking all of my time. I was working to promote a fashion show for a designer who wanted it advertised on every outlet possible. I was nearing the end of working with the designer and got the call that I was waiting for. It was the people from the contest calling me back about the date. This time they told me that the bachelor was back but he needed another two weeks before the date because he had a family issue. I was annoyed because I felt like my time was being wasted and that I was never going to get this date. I asked the lady was this some kind of scam because every time I am supposed to have the date something happens. She assured me that it wasn’t a scam and that the next time she calls me it will be for the date. I said ok. I’ll believe it when it happens. 

The two weeks went by and I received the call from the lady. She said I have exciting news for you. Mr. Jones is ready to meet you for the date. She told me to be at Xavier’s on 20th street on Friday night at 6:30 and Mr. Jones would be there waiting on me. I said okay.

When I told my friends they said I hope it’s the guy you want and not some rich guy who is an ass. I said me too, hopefully it’s the guy from Lowell’s. They said you are still waiting for that guy. Girl it’s been months. If it’s not him what are you going to do walk away. I said I don’t know but I would love for it to be him. My friends and I went shopping. I had to find the perfect outfit for this date. Even if it wasn’t Donald I wanted to look my best. I found this royal blue sleeveless dress that flowed in the wind and paired it with some gold stilettos. I got my hair done to match this beautiful occasion. 

When Friday came I was a nervous wreck. I didn’t know who or what to expect. I made it to the restaurant about 30 mins early. I was trying to build my nerves up as I sat in my car. At 6:25 I got out of my car and made my way into the entrance. I was greeted by the host. I told her my name is Nicole Wright and I am here for Mr. Jones. She said right this way he is waiting for me. This is the moment that changed my life. Sitting in a booth by the window was this guy who had salt n pepper hair on his beard and his head, the most gorgeous hazel eyes, medium brown complexion! As I got to the table I looked at him and realized that he was indeed the guy Donald that used to work across the hall from me! At last the day came and I met the guy that I fell in love with! The guy that I had been searching for the last few months! He was just as amazed as I was. We talked and had the best conversation! Two years later we are happily married. And to think I got the prize of my dreams all because I entered the contest! 


August 18, 2019 14:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

10:10 Aug 30, 2019

nice

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.