6 comments

Contemporary Sad

“One tablespoon of black pepper.”

“That can’t be right.”

“Is that too much? A tablespoon can’t be that... OK, that’s a lot of pepper.”

“It says one teaspoon. Check the recipe.”

“I think I did need my glasses. Should I pour the rest back, then?”

“Why don’t you take over the pancetta? The spaghetti should be almost done too.”

“This smells amazing, doesn’t it?”

“Yes.”

“Just like Italy, right?”

“Yep.”

“Remember the night we first had this? That little hole-in-the-wall place with the broken lightbulb above the entrance. We walked in and everyone gave us a weird look, but a waiter sat us down at a table anyway. They had those red checkered tablecloths, and you thought they were cute so you snapped a photo with your camera. I see you trying to hide your smile. You remember.”

“The flash was on. Then we really got some weird stares.

“The food was worth it though. Best carbonara of my life.”

“Yes. That was a good night.

“The air on our way back to the hotel smelled like gardenias, like the ones your mother used to grow in her garden, remember?”

“I remember getting lost on the way to the hotel.”

“Not lost. We simply took the long way back.”

“We need six eggs. Did you buy more this morning?”

“You wrote me a grocery list, so yes. Eggs were circled in red.”

“We can’t make carbonara without eggs.”

“Some people use heavy cream.”

“My Italian ancestors would roll in their grave.”

“Oh, you’ll never guess who I ran into. Mark—Lakin’s dad, from little league. He was buying a bunch of mustard. I swear he had like five bottles in his cart. I don’t know why he’d need so much.”

“Did you ask him?”

“No, we didn’t really talk. He just waved. He probably didn’t know what to say. A part of me wanted to go up to him.

“He wouldn’t have said anything we haven’t heard before.”

“Maybe. I’d just wish he hadn’t avoided me.”

“If we lived in a big city, no one would know who we were. They wouldn’t even nod at us. We’d be invisible.”

“Is that what you want?”

“Some days. Careful—are you OK?”

“I’m fine. It was my fault.”

“Here, run your hand under water.”

“I’m fine, sweetheart.”

“Your skin is already turning red. Cool water only. Keep it there for a minute or two. Don’t worry about the pan. I’ll turn down the heat.”

“Do you really want to leave?”

“The pasta should definitely be ready now. How’s your hand? I need to drain the pot.”

“Go for it.”

“Could you mix the pecorino with the eggs?”

“If you really want to leave, we should talk about it. Communication. That’s what Stephanie keeps telling us, right? This sounds like a conversation we need to have.”

“Right now?”

“Why not?”

“I’m exhausted. To be honest, right now, I just want to finish making dinner.”

“This is supposed to be bringing us closer.”

“I know, but—”

“But there’s always something. There's never a good time, and there will never be. You’re going through the motions. You think I'll ignore it, and maybe I have been, but I can't keep doing that. We come home from work, we go see Stephanie, you hardly say a word, and we come right back home. We have this fight. We agree to do better next time, and then we tiptoe around each other. And for what? To do it all again a few days later.”

“I’m trying. You know I try every day.”

“So answer me. Do you want to leave this place? Or do you… Do you want to leave me?”

“No. Obviously not. Never. Why would you even ask me that?”

“You act like the question is coming out of nowhere, but can you— stop whisking, for the love of God just—Can you honestly look me in the eye and tell me you haven’t thought about it?”

“Yes, I can look you in the eye and say that I have never thought about leaving you. Can we get back to making dinner?”

“No. Look at me. We are not OK, and that’s fine. Nobody is expecting us to be OK. But, we will never be OK if we continue like this.”

“I don’t know what you want me to do. I don’t know what else to do.”

“You could say his name. Say his name. Anthony. Say it.”

“I know his name. I feel it, every day. Here. I feel it right here. And it is suffocating. Evert morning, I wake up and I feel like I can’t breathe. Every time I walk past his door, every time I close my eyes, I remember the dimples in his cheeks—Your dimples—and every time I find one of his stray socks in the laundry—still, months later, because you both go through a million pairs a year— I feel like someone is holding me by my throat and squeezing me dry. And I want them too, because at least I would feel something other than this. This loathing.”

“It wasn’t your fault. You know it wasn’t.”

“Wasn’t it?”

“No, sweetheart. It wasn’t.”

“I turned my back for a second.”

“You loved him more than anything else in this life. It wasn’t your fault. It will never be your fault, and I will keep reminding you of that every day; morning, noon, and night, if I need to. I’ll say it when you need to hear it, and when you don’t want to hear it.”

“God. The pasta.”

“Extra seasoning.”

“Disgusting.”

“Maybe, but it made you smile a little.”

“I hope you’re happy. You’ll be having dinner with a side of snot.”

“I love you.”

“You’re stronger than I am… We should get on with it. Hand me the eggs?”

“They just go in raw like that?”

“What do you think we ate in Italy?”

“Maybe you should go nice and easy. Not too fast.”

“No, I have to be fast here. Otherwise, it’ll curdle, and we’ve put in far too much effort tonight to have spaghetti alla eggs.” 

February 24, 2023 04:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Mary Bendickson
13:30 Mar 23, 2023

Your second story was my 'critique circle' assignment. I said I liked it well enough to read more from you. So I did just now. I am not a very good critic compared to what others have given me. I can't pick out exactly what stood out to me. I just know when I like something and I liked this even though it was ultimately a sad story. I do some of those, too. Poignant. Perfect use of the prompt. I could follow who was talking. Maybe you changed something from Kendall's comment. I think you have been writing for a while. You are very good.

Reply

Jarleene Almenas
02:13 Mar 24, 2023

Appreciate you taking a look at this story as well. I haven't changed anything -- haven't figured out how after submitting something for a contest, if I am honest! But I'm glad you could follow the dialogue. I need to write happier stories. Maybe the next one. I write for my job every day, but I haven't written original short stories in years. Thank you for the confidence boost!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:45 Mar 24, 2023

Once you have submitted a story there is an 'edit' button under the title on your profile, if I am recalling it right, that only works up until the contest has ended (or maybe until the winner is announced?) You see I am so new, too, I am not exactly sure when that option ends. I just know I tried it once and got that message that it was too late to edit. I wanted to change something because my critic (that's what I believe he was but I saw his name on the judges list then next time I looked could not find it there again) had not liked somet...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:35 Mar 24, 2023

Says in FAQs you can edit up until the time the contest closes has passed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kendall Jones
19:22 Mar 03, 2023

Jarleene, that was quite lovely! Very realistic, poignant, wrenching. It started a little bit choppy maybe -- hard for me to understand what was happening and who/ how many people were talking, but then it picked up a nice pace and flow and it felt like a conversation I could easily hear a real couple having in the kitchen.

Reply

Jarleene Almenas
19:58 Mar 03, 2023

Thank you! I see what you mean about the beginning. That's definitely the challenge of not having dialogue tags! I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.