Looking At One Dress Forever

Submitted into Contest #145 in response to: Write a story where a particular piece of clothing appears three times.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Fiction

There have been many stories and books telling brides-to-be about their efforts in finding them a perfect wedding gown. The future bride looks through many bridal magazines, visit many different bridal shops and tries to find a seamstress who could design their special dress. However, my research shows there are few written stories about the mother-in-law’s gown. I will be the first to tell you my “dress” story as to the places my dress went to and where it is now 20 years later.

When my son became engaged the happy couple picked a wedding date one year after their engagement. That gave me time enough to find my perfect gown.

The first attempt I made was to set up an appointment with a sales person at a bridal shop hoping to find my dream mother-in-law dress. After an hour wait he told me he had lots of fabulous dresses to show me with his accent on the word FABULOUS. I reminded him that I was looking for a navy blue gown that would flatter me since I am slim and only five feet tall. I do want something that is simple but looks elegant to me.  “Oh I have the perfect dress for you.“  He went into a closet and came out with a fire engine red strapless long gown with a slit from my thigh to my ankle. He then took a matching red silk stole and worked it around my neck. “Oh you look beautiful” he said. “What” I yelled. “I look like a fire engine without a hose.” First choice a wipe out.

My second choice was to visit an upscale boutique on the north shore of Long Island. There I found the dress I dreamed about. It was a navy blue silk gown with beautiful blue lace and blue crystal beads throughout the bodice and a straight skirt with a short slit on the back. When I was told how much it cost I knew it would not be affordable. I loved it but I also felt guilty about spending so much on a gown.

Two weeks later I had lunch with a friend and told her about my experiences as I went to different wedding boutiques.  She suggested I call my friend Isabel who wore a beautiful ball gown to her son’s wedding and once said it was so dressy she probably would never wear it again. “Oh I am not comfortable doing that.” “Don’t worry” my friend said. “I will call her and tell her your story.”

The next morning I received a call from Isabel telling me she heard about my dilemma and would love to see me in the gown she wore to her son’s wedding.

I was at her house by 11 AM.  She took me into her guest room and showed me the gown which was beautiful. Although we were the same height and wore the same size we were proportioned very differently. I have small hips and I am quite chesty. She was the opposite. I knew then that the gown would never fit me. With lots of thank you for the offer I had to say with a heavy heart ”No thank you. The gown didn’t fit.”

I stayed a while talking to her in the kitchen when her husband walked in. “So did the dress fit he asked?” Sadly I said “no but can you tell me where Isabel bought her dress.” “My partner’s wife owns a factory nearby where she designs and creates cocktail dresses and evening gowns.” “ Really , do you think she would let me into the factory?” “I don’t know but I can call her now and ask her.” He made the call and handed me the phone. I introduced myself and the designer asked  “when will the wedding take place.? “ “In four months” I said. “Perfect. That will give me plenty of time to come up with a beautiful gown for you. Why not come into the factory next Saturday and look at some samples I made. I sell to many different stores and boutiques so if you shopped around you might find some samples of dresses you have seen here.

I was looking through the samples when I yelled “OMG. “That is my dream gown “as I pulled the dress from the hanger.” “That is the dress I fell in love with.” When the gown was finished it looked more beautiful than ever.

Through the last 25 years I wore that gown many times. Not only was that gown worn for weddings’ It has been seen in a hospital where Harriet the sister of the bride wanted to do her duty as her sister’s maid of honor since she was ill and not allowed to leave the hospital . “Do you think, Shelly ,that the dress I wore to my son’s wedding would fit your sister Harriet? That dress has been in my closet forever and I bet if a dressmaker can open the side seam and add a full zipper since her illness has caused her to loose weight the gown could be put on through the side. Also any wires that can be attached to Harriet need not be undone. “OMG you are such a good friend. I love you Shelly”

When the time was ready Sally and a kind nurse helped Harriet place the dress on. She then sat in her wheelchair and the two other bride maids pushed Harriet down a quiet hallway where the groom and his grooms men were waiting. The preacher was ready and the bride and her parents walked her down the aisle.  Harriet was sitting up straight in her wheel chair with a pillow on her lap with his and her rings. The preacher asked for each ring as Harriet with a big smile reached up to give each of them their ring. The Preacher announced they were husband and wife and they kissed one another. The loudest applause came from Harriet.

Harriet was then wheeled back to her room and the nurse and Shelly helped her get back into her hospital attire.

Many years have passed and I am now living in an independent living home. It is a lovely place and everyone is friendly. There is a special group of people living there who are trying to write a play that they hope will be performed by their neighbors and friends. They decided to create a play where all the seniors who want to participate would create a costume that they would like to model it for their audience to watch their presentation and enjoy what they come up with. Many of the seniors decided to create and model unusual outfits. I suddenly remembered that I took my navy evening gown with the crystal and beads to hang in the closet of my new apartment. I decided to try it on thinking that it will never fit me.  yet when I put it on it fit perfectly. 

The show went on and many men and women were modeling clothing that was popular many years ago. When I walked on stage the audience started clapping and clapping. The men were giving me wolf whistles. I couldn’t believe it. Women were commenting on the beautiful navy gown and said that that gown would look beautiful and sexy even by todays standard. There was lots of recognition, laughter and fun. 

My blue gown has been worn in many places and was seen in several restaurants, affairs and even hospitals for many years. I believe the gown has finally found its resting place in the closet of my new independent living home.

May 10, 2022 20:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.