Under the Bed

Submitted into Contest #23 in response to: Write a short story that takes place in a winter cabin.... view prompt

0 comments

General

I broke the window’s latch with my old pocket knife and pushed the window open.  I slipped inside, closing the window behind me to keep out the bitter cold. The room was dark, and it felt like an eternity of fumbling around before I finally found a light switch.  Light filled the room and one word came to mind- jackpot.


There was a TV sitting on the dresser that couldn’t be any more than six months old.  There was an ipad sitting on the nightstand next to silver figurines. And this was just one room, looking at it from the outside, I guessed there were at least six other bedrooms.  I pull out my bag and start sliding the silver figurines into it.


Suddenly, I hear the front door slam shut and proceed to hear voices coming towards me.  Without thinking, I role under the bed.  


The door to the room opens, adn from where I lay I can see two sets of feet.  


“Nice room,” I hear a deep, scruff sounding voice say.


“Thanks,” I hear a soft, higher voice giggle.


“God, you look so pretty in that, but I can’t wait to get it off of you.”  The man’s voice finishes, followed by a woman moaning.


The moans grow louder as I see their feet shuffling towards me, and before I know it I can hear the squeaking of bed springs overhead. This continues on for an eternity before the moans come to an abrupt halt.


“Listen Ryan,” I hear the female voice say from over head, “you’re great, and I love you so much.  But we’re going to be here all weekend, why not take it slow? Ya know, make our first time really special.”


There’s a pause before I hear the male’s voice say, “Mary, I love you.  I’ve loved you since I first saw you in bio. We’ve been going out for four months and I just love you so much and… I don’t think I can wait any longer.”


“C’mon,” Mary begins encouragingly, “We’ve made it this far, don’t you think you can make it a-”


“No Mary, I can’t.” Ryan snaps.  There’s a pause before I hear him talking again, gentler this time. “C’mon babe, I’m just so excited.  I’ve been waiting so long. Let’s just, you know, get it over with.”


“Get it over with?”


“You know what I me-”


“No.  I don’t know what you mean.  This isn’t some math test, this is our virginities we’re talking about!  And if you can’t understand how important this is to me, then maybe we shouldn’t be here at all!”


“God Mary, you’re such a fucking tease!  It was a ninety minute drive just to get here. I didn’t come all this way to not have sex.”


“Well, I’m sorry to disappoint, but it’s not happening.”


“Oh yeah, and who’s going to stop me?”


“Wha-” Mary stops abruptly and I can tell they’re moving on the mattress.


“It’s fine.” I think  “I’m sure it’s nothing.  This Ryan guy seems like a nice kid, and they have been going out for a while.  He has to come to his senses soo-” My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of muffled screaming, and I see clothes start to fall on the floor.  


I let out a deep sigh, “Goddamn it!”


I pull myself out from under the bed and am greeted by this asshole’s fat ass.  He’s pinning this crying girl's hands over her head, and she’s half naked, but her underwear is still on so I figure I’m just in time.  


“Hey bud!” I yell in the deepest voice I can muster.  He whirls around and yelps in a tone I didn’t even know a man was capable of hitting.  “How about you get off the lady, fat ass.”


“I-I… who are… what?” He stutters, frozen.  


“I said, get off the lady!” I repeat, pulling out the knife I used to break in and taking a step towards him. He doesn’t wait for me to say it again before jumping off the poor girl and running out to his car, leaving his clothes behind.  


The girl just sits there with her jaw dropped and her eyes wide.  I stand there, frozen, unaware of what to do. I nod my head, run towards the window, push it open, and dive back into the forest.



January 11, 2020 02:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.