3 comments

Friendship Romance

My second last story “Custodian” carried a character named”Qaimer".Qaimer came to be my Uncle,entirely different ,extrovert,fond of making friends and girl friends.

When he turned young, he appeared as a lover of going to England. At that time,he had based in Karachi,Pakistan.”How will I reach London? Don’t have enough money and resources to reach! .I will reach London, you all Will hear one day”. It became it’s affirmation.

Qaimar, no doubt , handsome, good looking ,alive and had a special knack for making friends , always accompanied with high up officials, in suit ,in high up parties, those suit were either he borrowed from his friend’s Dry cleaning shop or either he wore my father’s suit. Clad in a suit, he resembled a British actor, pair was very much popular with Tony Curtis in” persuaders ",than in,The saint” and most famous “James Bond “series,”Roger Moore”.Girls were always after him and he became a lucky flirt.In 1959 ,he gotta a chance as an hero in Urdu film with the than famous Pakistani actress “Shamim Ara" , he refused by saying “ proceeding to England in few days“ came as his pretending remarks.

One night, attending a glamorous party in Karachi ,a multi millionaire business man ,Ahmad Ali eyes glued on Qaimar. Mr Ahmad Ali had been in search of a reliable person, to accompanied his ailed wife to England for high treatment."A blind person needs but two eyes",Qaimar at once agreed , reaching London had been his life dream. So in few days Qaimar along with “Nabila", the ailed wife of Mr Ahmad Ali, flown to England. It tabbed 1960. Took four months in recovery of Mrs Nabila. When she got full recovery,he took Nabila in confidence, send her solo to Karachi, he stayed in London, so reaching England became his second life.

In 1965,he phoned my father ,to Karachi, to give him happy news ,marrying a British Lady named “Morin" and intending to come to Pakistan ,to meet the relatives specially with parents.. Father got excited , informed my grandfather ,in pirpia (village)about all this development made by Qaimar .Qaimar and Morin came to Karachi, Pakistan .Spend a week in Karachi. Qaimar and Morin Welcomed by every one in Karachi .They spent a busy week .In pirpia, ,near Peshawar,Grandfather and Grandmother behaved enthusiastic to see and meet them .Grandfather arranged a grandeur function in their honor. Main steamily, grand father served in British Indian Army as a captain during second world war and had a great regard for the British government. Coming of a British bride as his daughter -in -law was another great auspecious occasion for the family.

still remember ,all the family members were present at the Railway station, carrying garlands, kissing and hugging for about half an hour on the Railway station. When the people knew about a British bride they also gathered to see her. Seemed sort of a congregation on the platform.

The same night, musical function sat up.The villagers enthusiastically taken part and were envious on the luck of Qaimar.

My grandmother wreathed Gold necklace and a ring. She appeared charming and innocent in a native bridal dress. She looked like our family member, a pathan.

Once I read in Olaf Caroe's book, “The pathans”,The than Governor of NWFP ,now  Kpk, took pride to announced pathans as their cousins , came to the sub continent of Indopak ,some thousand of years ago. Here I would also digress little. Our Lecturer of History ,Mr Hussain narrated a short event. In 1945,after the death of Adolf Hitler of Germany, rumour spread about A .Hitler’s disappearance and would appeared alive in any part of the world.

An Afridi tribes man arrived and arrested on the platform, he had great resemblance with A.Hitler ,Later released on Illusion basis.

Coming Sunday became the Dinner Night hosted by grandfather.Still remember grandeur arrangement were done. The Deputy commissioner also present on the occasion.

Same night, one of our close relatives, Mahboob Khan,who at that time ,posted as An Inspector General of Frontier Constablary (IGFC) ,. At Landi kotal,an tribal area part near Pakistan Afghan Borders, announced a lunch in honor of Qaimar and Morin. A compartment got reserved all the family members reached Landi kotal Qaimar and Morin were accompanied by us in separate cars.

Mahboob Ali Khan presented Guard of honor to both of them.Mahboob Khan adhered the present members at the occasion, about the Queen Elizabeth visit to Pakistan, in 1964 ,and shown her great desire to visit Pakistan Afghan Borders ,her desire appreciated along with the Governor General of Pakistan. She was the first high ranking Lady to receive Guard of honour and now Morin belonged to Britain, received Guard of honour.

Incurring fact raised, grandfather and forefathers were all recruited in Army, before Partition 1947,and they all were high ranked and close to the British high commands. They had great impact of the British officers, they always admired them and stood loyal to them.

 .Morin told my grandfather, She performed the function at the “British Etiquette school London" . So well groomed and sophisticated, nobody judged her a common Boarder. Her grandfather honoured to be a Deputy commissioner in Dir ,prior 1947,upper District(now Kpk) ,and also Dir happened as Morin's birth place.She remembered little Pushto (native language )and enrolled in school for two years,.Her dressings raised meticulous , we can say it, sober and genuine. She had a deep study in Aerospace science and technology. Her resemblance was not common sort.Her appearance gestures pointing civic look and behavior. Greened like a Royal origin. It means her taste of life bestowed best and Modern.  

 Mentioned earlier Morin's grandfather held the office of Deputy commissioner ,Dir prior 1947, in Dir. Desired to see “Dir” her birth place .We all went to Dir ,there, tears came in her eyes, discerned the name of her Grandfather on the Service Board year wise, She also cliched her school and residence. Thanks God they smiled in good shape.

After two weeks jolly trip ,we came back to Karachi and after two days they left for London.

In those days communication modelled practice old version ,only instant commune featured desk telephone.Morin used to phone my father and grandfather, caused they stood good English spoken. With the passage of few months, She stopped calling and also started avoiding my father and grandfather’s calls.

One day father came from office, looked little cross.He phoned to Qaimar ,asked about Morin.Qaimar after little pause told my father to never call or letter her,She performed as my mistress,which is common type here, we had only friendship,that’s it.It downed and shocked father. He secretly told my mother that Qaimar lied with the whole family especially with me and Grandfather. temporarily hired a house ,despite they didn’t marry properly.Their entire appearance acted fake and lie.

My grandfather , a shrewd man, he never discussed about them with my father and the entire family didn’t know the truth.Grandfather becomb I'll and died ,despite he never spoken” a word about Qaimar and Morin. 

THE END.

MORIN.




August 18, 2021 09:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

10:43 Aug 18, 2021

This time writing two stories in one week.let's see the outcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
10:43 Aug 18, 2021

This time writing two stories in one week.let's see the outcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
10:43 Aug 18, 2021

This time writing two stories in one week.let's see the outcome

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.