0 comments

Fiction Drama Contemporary

Richard placed the receiver on the cradle and turned to look at Dorothy. The pain was obvious in his eyes.

“It’s not good,” he said.

Dorothy’s hand flew to her mouth.

“When?” she asked.

“The early hours,” he said as he moved to comfort her. He placed his arms around her and pulled her tightly towards him. In turn, she placed her head on his shoulder and sniffed loudly.

Then she looked up.

“I suppose,” she said. “I should tell Elizabeth.”

Richard nodded, inwardly sighing with relief. That wasn’t a task he had relished.

Mrs E Donalson

43, Wilton Drive

Willow Park

GLASGOW

16/9/53

My dear Elizabeth,

It is with a heavy heart that I choose to lift my pen and write this letter. I do not know quite where to start, it pains me so, but I must. I have some very sad news. My Uncle Albert has passed away.

If you remember, he was my mother’s youngest brother. The one who served us valiantly during World War I and survived to tell such horrific tales of life on the front. Thank goodness that God shone his light on my mother’s little brother as he seemed to miss so many at the front. You, I know did not have that worry, having no one serving on the frontline. I still remember the look on my mother’s face when there was a knock upon the door.

Anyway, dear Uncle Albert has left me as so many others before him – my father, my mother and two of my dear brothers. It seems so sad to think that Richard and I the elder children in our family are here today. I pray with all my heart that you may not have to know such a feeling of being left all on your own.

Anyhow, I thought it my duty to let you know of Uncle Albert’s passing since you knew of him. At least, he is now in a better place after all his hardships of the past. What I really think sent him to this bitter end so soon was being evicted from his lodgings. Richard, the last remaining member of my near family, agrees.

Tell me how is Katherine enjoying motherhood. I have not heard from her for some time. Although, the last time she saw me she wished us such warm greetings. Myself and Richard that is.

Now, I must lay my pen down. My hand is breaking as too is my heart from the sad news I have had to impart.

Your dearest sister (in law)

Dorothy

P.S. Should you wish to attend, Uncle Albert’s funeral will take place on the 20th day of this month.

Miss D. H. Donaldson

143, Wilton Drive

Willow Park

GLASGOW

30/09/53

Hello Dolly,

How could I not remember Uncle Bert.  After all, he lived with us for nigh on ten years. Or did that slip your mind? There seemed to be a lack of room for heroes from the front back then. Mind you, office women - like yourself- have so much to do. They tire easily, working with their brains. it Of course, those of us who work in shops. counting money, filling shelves, have time to tire. Do they?

I wondered when I would hear from you again. It has been a while. When was it? The time that your Dickie was away and you needed help when you were sick. As, you suggest family is so important.

I’m pleased to hear that my Katherine sent you her ‘warmest wishes’. It is no more than I would expect. Afterall, she was brought up by her father and myself to respect the elder generation. When is your birthday, by the way?

 Katherine’s baby’s fine and Katherine too. Motherhood seems to suite her, but then I’m sure you saw that when we were at the funeral last week.

Poor Uncle Bert. I miss him sorely. What he paid for his keep, helped us make ends meet. Bert, your younger brother, before he left ME knew this well. Although, many warned us not to entertain dear Uncle Bert. After all, naval men were known to be hard drinkers and to smoke too much. Why someone even said dear Uncle Bert would smoke in bed and cause a fire. I wonder who that was, now?

It was good of you to share the news with me - Uncle Bert’s death and the day of the funeral. Although, if it had not been for Katherine, I would not have known the time or place or date, since I received your letter on the day after the funeral. Did I slip your mind as I have done before?

Ah, what was it that I was about to tell you in this letter. Oh, I know what it was. I received a letter concerning Uncle Bert yesterday from a Mr James. Did you get one too? I wonder what this is all about?

With regards from your brother’s widow

Lizzie

Mrs K. Kirkwood

C/O Donaldson

43, Wilton Drive

Willow Park

GLASGOW

5/10/53

My dearest darling Katherine,

I hope this letter finds you feeling well. How is that beautiful wee delight of yours? Please enjoy your birthday. I have your birthday card right here.

By the way, I had a letter from your mother just the other day. I must say I got quite a big surprise. I did not know she still wrote – such long letters, I mean. How is her mouth? You mentioned, when you were here last, that she was having teeth removed?

I digress. Back to the topic of our conversation. Her letter was in answer to one of my own. I had written to share with her our sad news of Uncle Bert's departing us. Ah, but it was such a shame he had to spend his last days in the mission. 

Your mother wrote that she had received a letter concerning Uncle Bert. She said she was at his funeral. I did not see her at the church, but the grief gripped me in such a way that I did not take in all the people who came along. I only noticed family. You were there my darling this I knew.

But now I must be quite direct. Please ask dear Elizabeth, your mother, to let me know something of the contents of this letter came. I cannot think who Mr James can be or what he wants with our family. There are so few of us left now. You are so lucky you have family on your mother's side.

With love and best wishes on your birthday now and forever

Your loving

Aunty Dorothy.

Miss D. H. Donalson

143, Wilton Drive

Willow Park

GLASGOW

12/10/53

Dear Dolly,

I'll keep this short and to the point - the letter regarding Uncle Bert. You spoke to Katherine about this l understand. You sent her in quite a tizz, although she would not thank me for saying that. Please, don't use her as a go between. I will always be straight with you. This, after all, you should know. We have been sisters for many long years. More than I think either of us care to remember.

Now, to that letter. It came from James and Sons solicitors about one Mr. Albert M. Boyd late of the seaman's mission. It came just before the funeral, which we BOTH attended. But since you did not speak to me, I did not have the pleasure of giving you this news. It was addressed to me at my address. It spoke of something left from Mr Boyd to Mrs E. Donaldson of Wilton Drive number 43. I am surprised to learn that you knew nothing of Mr James and Sons.  You being family and all that.

Since my married name and your mother’s  were the same and addresses very similar, I thought that I should inform you.

Yours sincerely

Lizzie Donaldson

P.S. You told Katherine that grief affected your mind at the funeral. Let’s hope it’s that and nothing else. Remember how your mother went.

Mrs E Donalson

43, Wilton Drive

Willow Park

GLASGOW

18/10/53

My dearest darling sister Elizabeth,

Thank you for your letter and for your frankness regarding the letter from Mr James. This is truly a mystery. Why should he write to you. I can only think that, as you say, my dear mother's married name was the same as yours, Elizabeth Donaldson residing too in Wilton drive, as I do too, but at number 143, the typist made an error. Some people do not take care. I have the same problem with silly girls in my office. 

I think it best that I take this letter. I shall speak to Mr James myself. I am after all experienced in speaking to such professional gentlemen due to my managerial position. I know that mixing in such circles may be difficult for some - let's say no more. 

How is your health. Katherine said you were having trouble chewing after having your teeth removed. Thankfully, I do not suffer such a problem MY dentist always insists I visit every six months. He checks and does a brush and polish. How ever know not everyone is quite so lucky.

Your dearest sister (in law)

Dorothy

P.S. Now that you mentioned it, I do remember you in the church. Were those earrings quite appropriate?

23/10/53

Dear Dolly,

Please find enclosed the letter. 

Lizzie 

Mrs K. Kirkwood

C/O

Donaldson

43, Wilton Drive

Willow Park

GLASGOW

1/11/53

My dearest darling Katherine,

I do hope this finds you well. How is that delightful baby girl of yours? You must really bring her down. Did I tell you that your cousin James and his son, little Mungo, will be here. Of course, Rae will be with them too. Mungo’s really growing fast. Such a delightful boy. And James is as ever charming fun.  Maybe you might find some time to visit when they are here. Family is so important. Your Uncle Richard will be here too.

I prattle on my dear, when what I really want to do is tell you some exciting news.

Last week, your Uncle Richard and I paid a visit to Mr Nigel James. What a delightfully charming man he turned out to be. He offered us some tea and biscuits shortbread homemade at that. Anyway, it turns out that Uncle Albert lodged some personal effects with him: some jewellery, a medal, some papers, and his will. His will directed Mr James to bequeath everything to Mrs E. Donaldson, my mother. So, since she is no longer with us then what remains comes to your Uncle Richard and myself. Believe me there is not an awful lot. It seems there was much more. However, a considerable amount was held in insurance bonds, which were cashed in some years before. Mr James was not at liberty to tell us where it went. I suspect that after he'd been evicted from his lodgings, he had to pay for his place in the mission.

 So, with what little has been left, we have divided between Uncle Richard and myself. We have also decided to give something to yourself and your cousin James. Also, something for your mother without whom we would not have known about this bequest. Perhaps, she would like the medal and the watch and some money for false teeth. She seems to be suffering so from the lack of a good dentist. I write to you that you might ask her, if this would suite.

I would try to telephone but you know she cannot hear well on the phone and always ends up putting the receiver down.

Please do try to come down next week my dear, when everyone is here. As, I've said many times before: family is so important.

We can discuss transfer of the funds and you can take things for your mother.

Until then this is sent to you with my best wishes for now and always.

Your loving

Aunty Dorothy 

Miss D.H. Donalson

143, Wilton Drive

Willow Park

GLASGOW

30/11/53

Dear Dolly,

I am writing this letter for the sake of Katherine. She insists a scene in the street would in the end reflect badly on me. She also reminds me that HER father and MY husband Bert, your brother, would feel rather out of sorts. If only he were here today and had not passed away so young. He always did choose CLOSE family over wrong! Ah, but it is always the same the good ones in a family go first! You must agree, I’m sure.

Anyway, I come to the subject of Uncle Bert’s watch and medal. I have given them to Katherine. Regarding money for new false teeth, have you forgotten there is now a National Health Service. (Perhaps you should tell your expensive dentist and save yourself some money). So, you can stick your offer.

However, I must tell you that it pleases me to hear that Uncle Bert remembered his family as they remembered him, when he needed a place to lodge. Wasn’t he lucky to have a nephew of the same name as him, who took him in?

Ah, that medal, he was always so proud and kept it on display in my front parlour. He knew its worth. It meant a man had survived his time on the front line to be given one of those. Alas, although my father served, he was not on the front. He was working in an army kitchen for new recruits. I always think that it was those long hours that hastened his early death. I mean working thirteen-hour shifts, seven days a week couldn’t have helped someone with a heart as poor as his. He was told by his doctor not to go, but he felt it was his duty. Why did your father never go? My Bert he wasn’t sure? I heard they were taking men as old as forty at the end of WWI. But there you are, I lost my father, and James and I were left here on our own at the age of 27. How old were you the other week?

You mentioned that some of the insurance bonds had been cashed in some time before Uncle Berts untimely death. I assume from what you said to Katherine about not very much being left, that the insurance bonds which had been used held the bulk of Uncle Berts savings. Now, Dolly, I must tell you that pleases me to know that there was something left for your mother, because it means Uncle Bert knew the worth of good family and that’s why he split every thing he owned between them.

By the way, before he left my house, before we ‘turned him out’, he thanked us for taking him, when no-one else would do. He knew your mother would have too and he has rightly thanked her for her kind thoughts. Had it not been for yourself and your objection to his smoking, he would have taken up her offer. He said he’d see her right as he left us with some new  insurance bonds he’d made out in his nephew’s name and mine.

Your sister (in-law only)

Lizzie

August 31, 2023 09:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.