A Tale of Two Cities

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'A Tale of Two Cities'.... view prompt

4 comments

American Coming of Age

Dearest Percy,

I have begun to work with the clockmaker. I am just cleaning, of course, but I have been taking the scraps. You won't tell, right? Since Collie worked in the bookstore, we access to reading material that tells us how to make you a pocket watch. A fine young man such as yourself needs a fine watch, after all.

Love you always,

Annie and Collie

"Who's Annie and Collie?"

Percy observes the watch. It's not fine like Fathers, with silver and sleek edges. It has its own charm, though, with the way it clicks as the seconds pass in an almost chime-like way. Mother takes the letter and hands it to a maid.

Father pauses his eating and looks up.

"You mean Annabelle and Colleen? They were your maids when you were a baby."

Mother looks at Father silently before nodding along.

"Yes. Your maids."

It's almost mechanical, the way she says it. Each word could have been in time with the watch in Percy's hands. It doesn't ring a bell to Percy, though.

"Grandmother always says we didn't use to have maids when we lived in England." Percy muses as he turns the watch around in his hands.

Mother puts her hands over the one holding the watch and assures him.

"Your grandmother is getting old. She doesn't remember things well."

She attempts to pull the watch out of his hands but Percy's grip is a little too tight for her to grab the watch without yanking.

"I'm sure Annabelle and Colleen meant well but it's really an ugly thing," his mother sighs.

Percy agrees however...

"It sounds pretty."

Father looks up.

"It's a pocket watch, not a music box."

Percy eventually agrees and loosens his hold on the watch. His mother takes it, but before she can hand it to the maid to join the letter, Father interrupts.

"I'll take care of it. Amelia, just put it on my desk"

Percy isn't paying much attention though. He's trying to remember where he put the envelope that encased the letter and watch.

Dearest Percy,

I have to say, this was more difficult to make than the watch since I didn't have as much access to the materials. However, we remembered you loved when Collie played piano so we were determined to try and make that music box. This used to be your favorite song, I think. It's been so long now. If you have any requests that fit within an envelope, please tell us!

Love you always,

Annie and Collie

Percy is overjoyed by the music box. The song it plays is vaguely familiar to him and, while he's not sure it used to be his favorite song, it is now. Since his mother and father were so sour about the pocket watch, he hides this in the drawer under his desk.

The box took almost a year to make and they've talked a bit in the meantime. He isn't sure what questions to ask maids since he doesn't really talk to Amelia much. So in the end, he writes about school and friends and Annie and Collie are happy to respond.

Percy is delighted, mostly because he feels so rebellious for doing it. He's at an age where being a little devious feels freeing. His parents dined and attended parties wearing suits and gowns. Father never leaves the house without a fine cane and his mother has tea with friends only with gold jewelry. They were classes above conversing with maids and servants, so naturally Percy knows that doing so would be frowned upon.

However, something about his letters with Annie and Collie is bothering him. He can't resist asking his parents a few questions.

"Why do Annie and Collie end their letters with "love you always"? It's a bit strange for former maids."

Mother's neck nearly snaps when he asks. It's been almost a year since his last letter and he hasn't brought up the two in a while.

"Letters? There's been more?"

Percy flushes. He's worried he'll be in trouble for having sent and stolen some mail after and before his parents look through it. He clears his throat.

"Well, I-I guess just the one from last year."

Neither of his parents look convinced. His father is lounging in his chair with an after dinner glass of whisky and his mother is reading a book. However, both activities have been abandoned to look at him.

"Why are you still thinking of a letter from last year?" his father asks.

His mother doesn't question Percy, though. She knows.

"I've had enough of those girls." she tells her husband. "For God's sake, take care of them will you?"

For the first time since Percy's known him, his father looks at a loss. He says nothing, just looks away as he takes another sip of whisky.

"No, no you will not ignore this!" Mother is outraged. Percy shrinks into himself. He never meant to upset them.

Mother continues, "You said they would tire and stop. It's been five years, Howard! When will they get tired, then?"

Howard closes his eyes and takes a deep breath.

"I am returning to England in the spring I will have a discussion with them there."

Mother gasps. "And when did you plan to tell us this? Were you just going to up and leave?"

Father looks at Percy before shaking his head.

"No. Of course not. It just came up now is all."

To Annie,

Percy is well. Howard and Bella are very upset you write to him, though. It might be best if you stop. I will include more details about his life, if you two would like. Howard is returning to England in March, so please be prepared for when you see him. The second envelope is where I have enclosed your allotted monthly allowance, so do be careful.

Your friend,

Amelia

Father returned in late fall, worrying Mother. Percy was also concerned, but mostly because his birthday was in December. He doesn't know much about ships and weather so he isn't sure why the ocean is angrier in the winter than in warmer weather. Nonetheless, Father returns.

He is more distant then before, though. He doesn't hear very well, it seems. Father requires a few calls of attention before he actually hears what Percy or Mother say. On Christmas, he doesn't even leave his room.

It's from there that his health takes a turn for the worse. This takes up most of Percy's mother's time and Percy has begun to feel more and more alone.

He tries getting in trouble with friends, which is easy now that no one pays attention to him. It's fun until he's beaten by the headmaster for a particularly brazen act. While Mother and Father have no desire to admonish him, the world outside of his family goes on.

It's for the first time in years that he contemplates writing a letter to Annie and Collie. He feels dumb for it, though. What fifteen year old writes to their old maids? But everything Annie and Collie sent him felt so warm.

Percy has refrained from reading any letters from or writing to them since his parents' argument three years ago. He almost resents them, sometimes. It seems everything has gone wrong since then. It doesn't really matter anymore, though. Annie and Collie were the last things on his parents' minds

Dearest Percy,

It's awful what is happening to your father. We know you probably have access to good doctors and don't need it, but we've enclosed some tea good for the lungs. It helped Collie a lot.

Love you always,

Annie and Collie

Amelia smiles when Percy hands her the tea bags.

"I will be sure to give him a cup," she assures.

She looks behind her as if worried she'll be caught before placing the tea bags in her apron pocket.

"If you'd like... I write to Annie often and I can add any letters you have. Might be easier than sneaking them into the pile."

Mother, for whatever reason, still looks through the letters. Percy has to be observant and careful about when and how he sends and receives letters. He's resorted to asking Annie and Colleen to send their letters to his friend Frenchie's house instead of his own.

Percy looks at Amelia closely for the first time and in shock.

"You know Annie? What about Collie?"

Amelia hesitates. "I was friends with them both before I moved with your family here."

"You were also our maid when I was baby?"

"Well, no," Amelia replies, "I was hired right before you left England."

"Why couldn't Annie and Collie come with us?"

Amelia shakes her head.

"I wish I knew."

Dearest Percy,

I am heartbroken by your father's death. We will always be there for you if you need it. Please do not try and come visit up is Exeter, though. It is a long journey and not safe. I've pressed two flowers. If it isn't too much to ask, could you place one on your father's grave?

Love you always,

Annie and Collie

Amelia stares at the letter places it under a book. If the letter had come a month ago, it might have convinced Percy. However, Percy had already boarded the ship much to his mother's chagrin. Amelia shakes as she puts a hand up to her mouth and finally lets out a sob.

After she has dried her eyes and composed herself she begins to pack with an fervor she hasn't had before. She then marches downstairs with the cases.

"I am resigning, ma'am. I will be on a ship back to English tonight."

Bella looks up sullenly.

"Not you too."

She's aged so much in the last few years. Most women in their late 30's don't have grey hair, but Howard's illness made sure Bella did. Her crows feet and frown lines were also unusually deep.

"Don't seem so glum," Amelia drawled, "You've gotten everything you wanted, haven't you?"

Bella glares, "I loved Howard."

Amelia doesn't say anything. She's sure Bella did.

"Was it all worth it then?" Amelia finally asks.

"It wasn't my idea to leave," Bella huffs, "It was what Howard wanted. More money, better image. A new start. It was everything he wanted. Not me."

Amelia laughed. As if Bella didn't enjoy money and a prestigious image. As if Bella didn't benefit from a new start. But she doesn't rebuke. She just leaves.

Dearest Percy,

Annie and I love you more than words can describe. From the moment I held your little hand I knew you meant the world to me. I don't know if you're getting any of our letters, so I am leaving this with Annie. She always talks about visiting you in secret.

Percy, I want you to know I never wanted to be away from you. This might feel hollow, but it's true. I don't want to speak poorly of your mother or Father, but it was their decision to leave us behind. We had to stay with Mother. We are all she has since Father left.

It's all I can think of-- your wide, watery eyes and litter arms around my neck. The way you didn't want to go to sleep knowing we would be gone when you awoke. I have been working at the bookstore to save up extra money so Annie and I can visit together. But, Percy, I'm afraid I won't be able to do that.

I want more than anything to see you again, but I can't. Just know my spirit is with you forever.

Your sister always,

Collie

Percy swallowed and looked up at the woman with the same smile as his father. It's sad, though, and apologetic.

"I know this would feel better if I had been honest from the start, but when Amelia finally gave me the opportunity to write letters to you without Father and Bella hiding them, I... I made an error of judgement."

Annie's breath hitched.

"I hated them for taking you away. She would change your diapers, bath you, feed you, soothe you to sleep. And I couldn't bring myself to let her become no one to you."

Percy didn't know what to say. He just folded the letter and tucked it in his jacket pocket.

"I'll be on my way then."

Annie stood up abruptly, "Percy, please, you're already here, we can--"

"I think it might be better that we end things here." Percy murmurs.

Annie's smiles bitterly.

"Well. You are your father's son."

Dearest Percy,

How is America? Have you made many friends? We have made some marbles for you so you can play with your friends! If you have not made many friends, worry not and take your time. Instead, play with them yourself and pretend we are with you.

Love you always,

Annie and Collie

"Mama, what's it say?"

Percy has become very good at reading and knows it says his name: Percy. It's written on the envelope and in the note. However, he's not good enough to read the rest. His mother frowns at the letter and folds the paper before tucking it away.

"Nothing."

Percy holds out the clay orbs that weighed the letter down and shows them to his mother.

"Look. Annie and Collie made them!"

His mother looks down at them warily.

"And how do you know that?"

Percy holds up one blue and one red marble and points to the A and C carved into them. They're the same initials on some of his toys and clothes made by his half sisters before he left for America with Mother and Father.

Mother examines them before collecting them and putting them on his father's desk.

"They're lumpy. We'll get you some new marbles."

May 04, 2024 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Patrick H
12:14 May 09, 2024

Nice job! I kept reading on until the end but, I am still a bit puzzled. I can see that Colleen is Percy's older half sister, but who is Annie and why is Percy so cold to her when they finally meet?

Reply

Sam Sak
04:10 May 18, 2024

Hi, for clarification, both Annie and Colleen are Percy's older half-sisters. Percy is cold because he realizes that Colleen's death is the reason why his father died. His dad died of the guilt of leaving them behind so he blames the sisters. I tried to show it when it's mentioned that the father is sick when he presumably returns after meeting with Annie. The story was sort of there to explore how women are treated as just caretakers without their own feelings. It was mostly just for my entertainment though so it's not really that deep.

Reply

Patrick H
04:28 May 18, 2024

Gotcha. Thanx for the clarification. Very good story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trevor Woods
20:56 May 05, 2024

Well written, Sam. Kudos!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.