0 comments

Urban Fantasy

Hunting, a rewarding sin. The act of taking the life of another living thing is looked down upon by majority of the world. To Genevieve they are just the lucky ones who had a choice. She didn’t have that luxury. It was either kill or be killed. It was drilled into her head by her uncle. If she didn’t kill her prey, he was going to hang her in a tree and turn the food chain on her.

Now things have changed for the better, but of course it didn’t alter everything. She was now walking back into town dragging a buck behind her. She got lucky when this wandered into her view, especially since she had settled on rabbits. She smirked as she imagined her son’s reaction; he wouldn’t know where to start.

“Can you believe the size of that?” A towns woman loudly whispered.

“You didn’t hear? She used to be a hunter and not your average animal kind.” Another woman quietly mentioned.

“You don’t mean a supernatural hunter, do you?” A woman asked in a hushed voice.

“Remember the group of hunters that came into town the other day? My husband told me they were sharing stories of hunting werewolves, vampires, and the lot. She was with them at the bar and they treated her like an old friend. They were talking about the pack of werewolves they killed together. Apparently, she helped kill the alpha family.” The first woman shared in a not so quiet volume.

Genevieve let out a heavy sigh. Those women were the start of the rumor grapevine in town. Then again, she was going to be gone by morning anyways.

When she reached her front gate, she threw up the latch and entered her property. She dragged the buck to the side of the house where she cleaned and butchered her kills. She heard running from inside the house and a thud close to the side door. A second later it creaked open to show her son’s peeping eye.

“I’m home, Grant.” Genevieve announced.

“Hi Mama.” He greeted with a shy smile.

His eyes went straight to the buck. Genevieve chuckled knowing there was no point in hiding it.

“Guess who is eating good tonight?” Genevieve asked even though she knew the answer.

“I hope it’s not the neighbors.” He joked.

“I hope so too. Do you know how hard it was to lug this thing back here?” She asked with a raised brow.

“Well you were supposed to come back with rabbits.” Grant reminded her.

“The neighbors are going to eat good tonight.” Genevieve sarcastically declared.

Grant whined as his shoulders fell. His eyes became big with silent pleas for Genevieve to take back her statement. His bottom lip stuck out and quivered for a more dramatic touch. Genevieve smirked at her normally prideful son looking like a kicked puppy.

“You should know I would never feed any of the neighbors better than you. I don’t even feed myself better than you.” She pointed out.

Grant’s face brightened at her words. He ran into her legs and hugged her tight. She embraced him back, then she felt a wet spot on her shirt.

“Is that drool soaking my shirt?” She playfully scoffed.

“I can’t help it.” Grant grumbled into her shirt.

“I know you can’t, and I still love you.” She told him as she patted his head.

“I love you too, Mama.” He returned.

They ate dinner shortly after skinning and cleaning the buck together. Genevieve put away the parts that Grant didn’t like. She watched him eat with gusto, his instincts getting the best of him. She waited for him to eat to his fill. By the time he was finished, his eyes were falling closed. Genevieve cleaned him and changed him for the night. After eating her own meal, it was time for her last shift at the diner.

Genevieve cleaned up their dinner and got Grant from the couch. She walked to the car and buckled Grant into his booster chair. She got into the driver seat and made her way to the diner at the edge of town. She no longer needed a babysitter for Grant, so she just took him along for the night. The manager was okay with Grant since Genevieve promised it would be a one-night occurrence.

She entered the back door of the diner and went straight to the staff room. She laid Grant on one of the couches and covered him with a spare blanket she brought. She changed then clocked in for her shift.

By the time the dinner rush lightened, Grant claimed a stool at the counter. As she passed him on the way to a table, she saw him doodling on a napkin with her extra pen. When her first break of the night started Grant went to grab a booth for the two of them. Genevieve fetched their deck of cards from the car and shuffled it when she sat down. They got a game of poker going after the cards were settled. She knew it might have been a bad call to teach an 8 year old poker, but that was one of the few games she knew. It seemed to be better than black jack for the moment.

+++

Genevieve was now starting her second shift. She was wiping down the tables with Grant standing by her side. Then there was a commotion at the door. The mother and son pair peeked at the front of the diner to see the owner of a nearby bar, Todd and his employees who closed. They were loud, like they always were, and a bit tipsy. They saw Genevieve moving on to another table.

“Gen, can you be our server?” Todd requested.

“Okay, pick a table while I wash my hands.” She directed before heading to a sink.

She returned to see Grant cleaning the table next to Todd and his employees. They were talking about something as Genevieve got closer.

“What can I get you guys this morning?” Genevieve politely asked.

“The normal please, Gen.” Todd ordered with the charming grin he always gave Genevieve.

Genevieve did her best to ignore the first wave of his advances. Sure, his wife was a nightmare, but Genevieve refused to be the other woman or known as a homewrecker. It wasn’t exactly an option anymore either. She wrote down their orders and went to drop it by the kitchen. She grabbed their drinks and walked back to the table.

“So is it twue you’re a hunter?” The female employee slurred a bit.

“I’m a wild game hunter.” Genevieve confirmed.

“Not that – k-kind of – hunter.” The male employee tried to say while hiccupping.

She knew what they were talking about. She just didn’t want to give a direct answer. The town was too nosy for their own good sometimes.

“Is that really any of your business?” Genevieve questioned with her perky waitress voice.

“Relax, Genevieve. We are just interested if what they talked about was true.” Todd attempted to justify.

“Do I need to repeat my previous question?” She asked with a smile.

“I promise I won’t tell my wife.” Todd proposed.

“I highly doubt that.” She said before turning to leave.

When she went back to their table to deliver their food, Todd asked again. She was already going to skip town anyways so it’s not like it would do any harm. It would get him to shut up for the rest of her shift so there was another positive aspect.

“I did kill an alpha family. I watched the alpha and his mate die in front of my eyes. Their children’s tear stricken cheeks are burned into my memory and their cries for their deceased parents echo in my ears. I can still feel the blood between my fingers.” She shared with a dark grin.

The entire table shared the same slacked jaws as Genevieve pivoted in another direction. She found Grant at another table with a new napkin. He wrote on it and passed it to her.

G: We both know that’s not how that day went.

M: I know but the nosy bastards get what they want.

Genevieve gave Grant back the napkin before kissing the top of his head.

+++

It was supposed to be a typical day. Killing a few straggler werewolves or a small clutch of vampires. Genevieve wasn’t prepared to be called to a pack slaughter. Her uncle called her for back up, said they needed someone nimble. She had a feeling that they were just going to use her as a pawn or bait, but when she got there, she realized her assumptions were wrong.

It was her moment to prove to her uncle that she was a hunter. They left a wounded alpha in the arms of his sobbing and restrained mate. He was still whispering comforting words in her ears though blood was sputtering out of his mouth and the puddle of blood was getting larger. Her cousins were there to supervise the deed.

“Before you kill them, get them to reveal the location of their children. They are old enough to have at least one.” Her eldest cousin instructed.

Genevieve nodded. She slowly walked closer to the alpha couple. The weak alpha growled as she got closer. She admired his commitment to protect his mate through his severe injuries. She knelt down on a single knee in front of them. The alpha mate’s sobs got louder as the alpha grunted in pain as he tried to shield her. They were silently awaiting their deaths. Genevieve watched them as she took a pair of knives from her boots. She grasped a knife in each hand, then threw them at her cousins’ unsuspecting necks.

The two men clutched their throats, but it was useless. As they sputtered blood Genevieve ran to them and slashed their throats open. Their bodies dropped to the ground with a loud thump. Genevieve grabbed the blanket from the couch and covered the alpha couple. They looked up at her with baffled expressions.

“If you will let me, I can help with your wounds.” Genevieve offered.

The couple continued to stare at her with suspicious eyes. They didn’t trust hunters, but this person was different.

“It’s too-“ The alpha tried to speak but was interrupted by a bloody cough.

“It’s too late for him, for us.” His mate finished before staring in his eyes.

They seemed to be having a mental conversation, so Genevieve left them alone. She fiddled with her fingers as the silence continued.

“Please save our son.” The alpha mate begged.

Genevieve cocked a brow at the woman. Were they really entrusting a hunter with their child? Before she could react, the alpha began to rise from his crumpled position. Without hesitating, Genevieve rushed to the opposite side of his mate and helped him. The alpha growled at first, but Genevieve showed her submission by lowering her head and showing her empty hands. He rested the remainder of his weight on her shortly after accepting her help. Together they went to the back of the house and stopped in the middle of the hall.

The alpha mate knocked on the wall. The wall then opened and revealed a small boy. He gasped and ran to his bleeding father. The alpha couple cradled the small child as he cried. Then the alpha mate took the boy’s face in her hands.

“Grant, your father and I don’t have much time. We need you to be strong and live for us.” She pleaded through her tears.

The boy shook his head. Obviously, he didn’t agree with his parents leaving him behind.

“We will always be with you. You have to live and be the great man your father and I know you can become.” She told him.

“I can’t live on my own, mommy.” Grant sobbed.

“You won’t be.” The alpha weakly croaked.

The alpha then held a shaking hand out to Genevieve.

“Your name.” The alpha softly demanded.

“Genevieve.” She answered.

The alpha then looked to Grant.

“I love you, Grant.” He brokenly whispered.

His glance then went back to Genevieve. He cleared his throat before speaking.

“Genevieve, take my hand.” He demanded.

Genevieve followed his order. She placed her hand in his and he softly grasped it. Instantaneously, she felt a connection forming. Her feelings quickly changing from the simple contact. She felt a sense of protectiveness for the people in front of her. She couldn’t place the emotions, but she knew they were new. The alpha’s hand dropped as the life left his body.

“You are now bonded to our family as the protector of our son.” The alpha mate briefly explained as the color drained from her face. Her eyes closed as she slumped against her mate. Grant wailed into the lifeless bodies of his parents. She knew he needed time to mourn, but somebody would be coming to check them soon. Genevieve apologized as she ripped a flailing Grant from his parents and whisked him away from the only home he knew.

+++

It was still dark when Grant and Genevieve returned from the diner.

“Pack the essentials, we need to be gone before sunrise.” Genevieve directed.

Grant complied with a nod before running to their room. Then he popped his head out the doorway.

“Buck counts as essential right?” Grant asked with a tinge of hope in his voice.

“For us it does.” Genevieve smiled.

Grant ran to her and kissed her on the cheek.

“Thanks Mama.” He relayed before running back to their room to pack.

December 02, 2020 04:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.