Protect the Angels

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about change.... view prompt

5 comments

General

Dear Mia,

 I haven’t written to you since you left me. I couldn’t dare to, so please forgive me. However, I should write to you now, and you will know why after you have read my story. Um… where should I start? Oh, yes, I should begin from our high school days. Well, I graduated the high school, and then went to college. After graduating college, I met Jeff and married him. Then, Evelyn, my daughter, came to our family. She is such a lovely girl. You will love her, if you can only meet her. I wanted my daughter to be friendly to everyone in her class, so I always taught her to reach out her hands to shy friends like you. She is in her first grade in the junior high school. She has a good nature, so she told me everything about her friends after she came back home. One day, she told me about a girl in her class. She said no one is friend with her because she was bullied by a pack of mean girls. Evelyn looked worried about that girl. I told her, “Then you should reach out your friendly hands to her. She will be happy if you first talk to her.”

 The very next day, Evelyn came back from school with a bright smile on her face. She told me the story about that the girl and she became friends in a delighted tone. I stroked Evelyn’s head and smiled. I was happy about that, too. However, two days later, Evelyn came home with a worried face. I asked her why, and she told me that her friend, Kaiya(I mean the bullied girl.) is bullied by the mean girls severely. I asked her about the details. Then, she told me that Kaiya’s bag was found in the trash can near the girl’s bathroom, all ripped off. Also, her belongings were floating in the toilet. I asked Evelyn if she told this to her teacher. She said she did for two times, but her teacher didn’t take it seriously. She told me that this isn’t the first time that she saw Kaiya bullied, and she wanted to help her. “The reason why I am telling you this,” she said in a trembling voice, “is because teachers are not helping Kaiya, and I can’t help her by myself. You know, I still a kid. I need you to help, Mom.” At that moment, I knew I will regret for my entire life if I don’t help the girl.

At night, I lay on my bed and thought about how to help Kaiya. I couldn’t sleep well because I was thinking about that for the whole night like I did when I came to know you. The next morning, I was still planning the plan for saving Kaiya. I thought I should first meet her parents to know if they know that their daughter is being bullied. So, when Evelyn came back home, I asked her if she can ask Kaiya and her family to come over to our house to have supper. Evelyn hesitated for awhile and said, “She doesn’t have parents, Mom. She’s orphan, and she lives in the children protection facilities.”

 Mia, I couldn’t help myself thinking of you when I heard that Kaiya was also an orphan. My mind and thoughts were all mixed up about Kaiya and you. Mia, I had to save Kaiya, and I’m sure you will agree with me. So, this was my plan to save Kaiya. The upcoming Friday was Parent’s Conference Day, so I had to go to Evelyn’s school. I planned to go to the school more early to confirm with Evelyn’s class teacher about Kaiya. I know what you’re thinking. You think teachers are not trustworthy creatures, and I totally agree with you. However, I didn’t have better idea at that moment. Well, back to the plan again. As I have planned, I went to the school earlier on Friday, and met Evelyn and Kaiya’s class teacher. She introduced herself as Mrs. Thompson. I told her about the fact that Kaiya was being bullied, and asked her to help Kaiya from school violence. I trusted her a bit, because Evelyn told me she was a good teacher, and Mrs. Thompson failed my hope as you had expected. Uh, adults, especially teachers, are not the type to set expectations on.

“I do understand your concern, Mrs. Weatherby, I do. The school staff will take care of the problem. Do not worry.” This is what she said without a glimpse of soul in it. These teachers didn’t change a bit. I knew my plan was all rubbish. What did I expected, Mia, after all those years being rejected by the teachers? I glared at the irresponsible human.

 “Mrs. Weatherby? Is there any problem?” Mrs. Thompson asked me with a startled face.

 “No, but you guys do,” I said as my cheeks were burning with hot flames. The woman’s ugly face became a frown.

 “Mrs. Weatherby, I can’t afford this insult that-“ she scolded as her face turned crimson.

 I shot up and stormed out of the room. Hot lavas rose up from the bottom of my body. I was the anger itself. I roamed around the hall way. I couldn’t control myself. The clock on the wall pointed 3:50 p.m. It was almost the end of the class. I ran to the broadcasting room. No one was there. I held the microphone and shouted, “All students gather at the school hall! I repeat, all students gather at the school hall!” My voice resounded in every classroom by the speakers. I again ran to the school hall. When I turned the corner, bunch of students blocked the way. I tried to go through the crowd, but it didn’t work. I ran to the opposite side and opened a small, wooden door, yes, you’re right Mia, that door. I opened the door that lead to the backstage of the school hall. I was afraid to open it, but I had no time.

When I reached behind the curtains, I heard the school principal’s voice, “This is a fake announcement. Students, go back to your classes.” I heard students murmuring and retrieving back to their classes. I opened the velvet curtain, and took the microphone from the principal.

“This is not a fake announcement! Come back! I have something important to say!” I cried to the people. The principal’s eyes almost came out from his skull. His body, no, everyone’s body was petrified. “I have important thing to say that has been neglected for centuries,” I continued. My heart was pumping to fast that I thought I might be dead of heart attack. “There was a girl in this school, 20 years ago. She was a like an angel that she never hurt others, but others started to attack her when they knew she was an angel. Her lovely face wetted with toilet waters, and her thin legs were always wounded. Her long hair was tangled up in a pitiful way. Everyone saw her, and closed their eyes. Everyone saw her falling, but didn’t help her to stand up again. She had to stand up by herself.” Tears blocked my sight. I had to finish this. “She became so weary, so at last, she decided to not get up anymore.” I caught my breath. I voice trembled as my leg trembled, but I had to continue. “If there was one hand, at least one hand, to reach out to her, she would be one of these student’s mother.” Rivers of hot tears ran down my cheeks. “You can think that this story has nothing to do with you, but someone beside is having terrible time like that girl did. Maybe that someone beside you wants your hands to be reached out to her. I was neither that girl, nor the one who pulled her out of the swamp of despair. I regret my past and want to change it, but the past is not what I can change. I can’t change the past, but I want to change the present. I’m not qualified to say this, but please, let’s not repeat the regretful past. This should not be repeated.” I finished my words. I looked down the wooden floor. I couldn’t raise my head. I felt everything ended. Then, I heard a small clap. Then the clapping of the hands gradually grew louder and louder that the sound of clap filled the large school hall. I raised my head. Everyone was clapping, students to teachers, everyone.

Then one student shouted, “Let’s protect the angels! Let’s change the present!”  I can’t remember what happened next, but when L came back to my mind, I was cooking dinner for Evelyn and Kaiya. Kaiya was laughing with Evelyn on the couch. Her laughter had the same soft tone like yours. I really miss you, Mia.

                                                                   Your best friend,

                                                                    Nora

June 13, 2020 01:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Lala Joy
23:33 Jun 18, 2020

Good topic to write about especially in today's time. I like the characters bravery in protecting this girl from being bullied!

Reply

Pepper Mint
14:05 Jun 19, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jen Park
12:51 Jun 18, 2020

Nice story, Halim! :) I loved the speech part

Reply

Pepper Mint
14:06 Jun 19, 2020

Who are you? Do you know my name, Haney?!?!?!

Reply

Jen Park
14:09 Jun 19, 2020

Lol My name is Janey by the way

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.