Talking with dead husband

Submitted into Contest #7 in response to: Write a story where a chocolate cake plays a significant role.... view prompt

4 comments

General

Life is like a maze-puzzle, in which start and finish point is already decided by a Supreme Power, we all are trying different routes in our own way to reach the finishing point. For Julia also, one path which was to live with her husband Martin, was closed. Martin chose a short-cut leaving her alone to try all other routes available.

Every month on the same date, Julia visited Martin’s grave with a cake baked by her. That day she chose chocolate flavor as it was his birthday today and chocolate was his favorite flavor. Every month she would go with a different flavor, because she loved baking the cake and Martin loved to eat her cakes. She used to leave the cake there only believing that Martin would eat it whenever he could. She would tell each and everything about the month passed by and she believed without any doubt that he has been listening with all his ears, like he used to when he was physically alive three years ago.

She was so angry with him, when he left but, she made peace with herself as she was saying “I know you are with me every time, because I survived one more month”.

She wished him Happy Birthday and showed him the beautiful bouquet, made from the flowers of their own garden.

She smiled and said” Thank-you for the day, when I spilled the milk and you send the immediate help”.

That day when Julia was going to take her night medicine, which her family doctor advised to be taken with milk only, milk pot fell down. As she was going to bed, she got a call from her doctor.

Doctor said” I have to cancel your appointment tomorrow, as there is an emergency operation to be done.”

“OK, no Problem.”

“I hope you are taking all your medicine on time especially the one to be taken before bed.”

“Yes, but today I am afraid I have to miss, as I spilled the entire milk and i know all nearby markets are closed.”

“But now you can’t because I am sending milk with a servant right now”.

One day, as she was enjoying Radio, she wished for her favourite song and it was the same song played next on radio.

She had many incidences like this which proved her belief that Martin is nearby only.

Generally, she never complained of her life but that day she was little upset as She was saying” You promised me that you will take care of me in my old days, but you broke your promise. I am trying to live life as we used to but I get really bored, there is not much to do in that tiny room.”

Julia and Martin lived a decent quality life, except Martin departure, which changed the course of her life completely but still she had not lost the quality to live the life at the present moment enjoying whatever resources she had.

Martin was not able to defeat cancer disease, despite the fact that they both tried everything on this earth and it left them financially drenched. They had to sell their beautiful dream house; only the backside garden area along with one small room, Julia insisted that she would not sell as she could not imagine her life outside that garden. Their son Johnny was living in a nearby apartment with his wife and two little kids, He tried to convince Julia to live with them, but she never agreed.

No-one gave her warmth and peace, she got by just sitting in their garden, taking care of plants. They both made this garden from nothing and her most of the time is passed there only.

She did not notice that from last two months, a person named Adam was also coming there, at his wife’s grave adjacent to Martin. He also sat there and when Julia was gone, he looked at the cake and ate all the cake first time and then he could not stop himself from eating the cake, because he had not eaten the more delicious cake than this before.

Julia never thought about who would be eating and what would be happening to her cake, because she had this faith that Martin is eating the cake as she had been preparing for him only.

This went on for around six months, she came there with a cake and talked with her husband and around same time that person also came and sat there talking to his wife and sharing with her this cake eating funny thing. He said to his wife” that lady you see near here, cooks wonderful cake and she thinks that her husband is eating the cake, but the funny thing is that I eat the entire cake when she is gone. I so much wish that you are also here so we both would have enjoyed the cake together.”

It continued to happen until one day, he came at the usual same time and date of the month but he did not find her, he sat there for full day but she was nowhere to be seen.

He was not sure whether he was worried for cake or for her but he was worried for something and he was sure that the person inside the grave also must be very worried that why his wife did not come today.

As if the person inside the grave was shouting at him “Go and check whether my wife is OK”.

But he had no clue who she was, where she lived.

He checked the name engraved on the grave and went to the office where all the records are kept.

He asked the person sitting over there, that “there is a grave of Mr. Martin in that corner, I want his address detail.”

 “why do you think I shall give that to you”.

“Because Mr. Martin only told me to do so.”

He woke up from his assuming sleep and gave his full address details.

Adam went to that address, and noticed that name plate was of different name.

He pressed the bell repeatedly but no-one came to open the door. He started walking around the house to check for any other entrance.

When he was at the backside of the house. He smelled the odour of cake baking and he was sure it was same cake as he used to eat.

As he found a small door kept ajar, he entered the door and saw the same lady sitting in the beautiful garden enjoying the late evening weather with tea.

She was puzzled to see him entering the house.

She enquired, “who are you and why you entered my house?”

He replied, “don’t worry, I just came to check if you are all right, I was worried because from last six months I was eating your yummy cakes but this month you did not come”.

She was in anger when she said “How dare you to eat the cake I made for my husband only” but then she thought “what difference it would make who eat it; anyhow she leaves the cake there only and after that anyone who wants can eat that cake.”

She continued as she checked the date in her mobile today is 27th, so I will go there on 28th only and that is tomorrow.

He started laughing, “you check again, your mobile is showing wrong date”.

She checked on internet and embarrassed she said “my grandchildren did some setting change in my phone during their last visit”.

“Oh, my husband must be hungry.”

Adam said to himself “I don’t know about your husband but I was missing your cake so much”.

“OK see you tomorrow and change the date setting in your phone.” He said and left.

Next day, when Julia went there, she noticed the same man sitting in front of a grave which she assumed must be his wife.

Adam asked her, “why you are living backside of your own house and why the name plate is different.”

She said” My husband had cancer so we had to sell the house, but somehow we saved the garden because the memories of this garden can’t be sold, so I am living in that one room at the back side and owner has made a wall to separate it from their part.”

He further asked “you don’t have kids with whom you can live.”

She thought for a while why she should share her life with him but somehow, she replied, “I have one son living not too far from here, he insists that I should live with them but I can’t leave that garden and the memories with this home.”

“By the way I live with my two sons and their family not too far from your home and my time is spent with them only. Whenever you feel bored or want to have a chat, don’t hesitate to come over.”

She nodded yes and offered a friendly smile.

Next month again they both came, Julia with her cake, and Adam with his empty stomach.

When she was leaving, he came to her and said “After two days is my granddaughter’s birthday and I recommended my daughter-in-law your cake, can you make a cake for us.”

She thought for a while.

“we will pay you whatever you want”, he further added.

She laughed, “do I bake so good a cake, if you say, I will bake it for your granddaughter as her birthday present from my side.”

“Thank-you, you have to come also to bless her personally”.

She baked the yummiest chocolate cake, no doubt everyone bit their fingers while eating the cake.

Next day, Adam went to her house and surprised her with the news that “your cake was superhit and one mother who was present in the party wants your cake only.”

“And this time it can not be a birthday present, you should ask a good price for that.”

She always wanted to open her own bakery but with time that desire got subsided, but how she could manage this all alone, there are so many things required for that.

As if sensing her thoughts, Adam said “you don’t worry I am totally free, I will arrange everything for you, you just give me list of all the materials you need and in coming time, we will hire a helper also for this thing, because I am damn sure that your cakes are going to rock.”

Adam was so correct, very soon Julia cakes were in demand all ever the town.

She purchased back the complete house and her son and family also shifted in their own house.

Also, she got a wonderful friend and business partner, who still gets every month one cake, he so eagerly awaits.

Julia is sitting by Martin’s grave saying “Thank-you, now I have no time to get bored.”



September 21, 2019 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Dev Soni
19:41 Sep 25, 2019

Curious Title..draws you in the story. Thoughts flow very smoothly throughout.. well done

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gazala Bano
19:16 Sep 25, 2019

Wonderful thought process. The story is really interesting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Faheem Ullah
19:10 Sep 25, 2019

Nice attempt. Wonderful creation. The story follows the theme.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abhishek Verma
18:08 Sep 25, 2019

Awesome story I like thinking process with cake prompt very creative story You are master in title of story

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.