Santa's New Party Guests

Submitted into Contest #21 in response to: Write a short story about a work Christmas party that goes... awry. ... view prompt

0 comments

Holiday

Rudolph was prancing around Santa’s workshop, excited about the spirit of Christmas. The snow was falling from the sky the way Rudolph nearly fell while carrying Santa’s sleigh across the night. The stars were shining and the night was young. “Merry Christmas” the reindeer sung.

“Christmas party! Christmas party!” Rudolph cheered.

To not have an annual Christmas party would be weird. Every year, after the toys are delivered to the kids who are good, Santa lights up the fire on the wood. Then, the reindeer sip their tea while Santa eats the chocolate chip cookies with glee.

But tonight was strange and very odd, for Santa was nowhere to be found.

“I’ll be back” Santa said.

But for all the reindeer knew, he could be dead. Hours had passed and the reindeer waited and waited. It seemed as though the annual Christmas party would be belated. They searched all around, but Santa could not be found. Maybe he got eaten by some hounds? Or maybe he left to ride a merry-go-round?

The party would have to wait, as the reindeer galloped out through the glistening gates.

“Santa, Santa!” they shouted, in the night.

The cold air produced a great fright.

“Did he leave because we were bad? Did we do something to make him mad?” the reindeer questioned Santa’s intentions.

Then, they called a meeting to ease the tension. In the meeting, they discussed how they would split up, like a broken glass cup. Scattered all over, the reindeer planted their hooves in the snow, and they journeyed all over, high and low. They went to the depths of the North Pole. And when that failed, they went to the South Pole and still, they could not fulfill their goal.

Defeated and tired, the reindeer went home. Santa’s workshop was their protective dome. But when they went back, they found a sack. It was filled with coal, delivered by the naughtiest of souls. In the sack, there was a letter.

“Coal won’t make us naughty kids any better.”

On the other side, the note revealed that Santa was kidnapped and Rudolph shed a tear.

“Those naughty kids kidnapped our Mr. Clause” said Dasher. And then, he paused.

He heard some screaming and some noise.

Some voices said “Tell us where you hid the toys.”

What was that sound? The reindeer didn’t know. Until, from the chimney, they saw smoke below. The reindeer looked up the chimney and there he was. Big old Santa, hanging above. But he wasn’t alone. Because with him were the bad children on the roof. Torturing Santa and leading him to his doom.

The reindeer shouted “Let him go!”

They tried to get Santa out, but the chimney was clogged up with Santa and the snow. The kids jumped off the roof and then they ran…into the workshop to cause some trouble.

Rudolph shouted “No, ma’am!”

The cups of eggnog were knocked over. They shattered to pieces and the naughty kids ate all the chocolate Reese’s. The decorations were torn. And the ornaments went down. This Christmas party disaster brought many frowns. No one could help because Santa was stuck. If only there was some way to clean up this muck.

It was then that Rudolph had an epiphany.

Rudolph said “I know how I can get these kids to stop acting so funny.”

His shiny nose guided him to the secret door. This would lead him to the great unexplored. He opened the door and there he found, what no one would have expected to be around. All the toys that the bad kids didn’t receive, because they were rude and didn’t say “please.” These toys were kept in hopes that the bad kids would clean up their act. Maybe there’s still hope that the naughty kids could retract.

So Rudolph galloped back to the party room and he grabbed a broom.

He told the kids “Clean up your acts and clean up this mess. All of your bad deeds you’ll have to confess. Then I’ll give you the toys you deserve. Because only good kids will have sunshine served.”

Rudolph brought out the toys and how bright these items looked. The kids watched and were completely hooked. There were toy trains and toy planes and pretty little dolls. There were even toy phones to make phone calls.

Rudolph asked “Now who wants these toys?”

Then the kids shouted “Me!”

Then the kids worked together to pick up the large, mint-colored Christmas tree. They hung back the decorations. Timmy hoped to be rewarded with a toy train station.

But their tasks were not done because they made such a mess.

And then the naughty kids admitted “Yes, we ate all of Santa’s cookies. We confess.”

So they went to the kitchen and baked some cookies. Chocolate chip cookies were what Santa loved most.

The kids merrily said “We’re done baking cookies. And they’re pretty good. Not to boast.”

The only thing missing was the party’s host. The kids and the reindeer went up to the roof. They melted the snow with a candle’s heat and the kids’ tasks were finally complete. Santa could shimmy through the chimney and he was set free.

Santa cheered, “How good it is to finally be at my Christmas party!”

Rudolph kept his promise and gave the kids their toys. Santa was pleased to see the bad kids turn a new leaf. Now they were good and Santa was in disbelief. All it took was a little push to be good. And finally, the good kids lit up the firewood.

The kids said “We hope you’re warm and hope you’re safe. We’re really sorry for trashing the place.”

Santa replied “Ho, Ho, Ho! It’s okay, now that you’ve changed your ways. Remember to be this good on all the other days.”

The kids promised to be good and to keep their word. Santa invited them to stay for the party and offered them some custard. Together, they celebrated and the party that was crashed turned into a gay old bash. Cookies, gingerbread, and bright lights filled the night. This Christmas party had new guests and they were a delight.

December 25, 2019 23:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.