25 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

“So how do you create a zombie?” asked Pat. Or was it Pete? Something like that. The guy fiddled with his passenger seat again, scooching forward. And then, he fiddled with the AC.

“So it’s a shot of rum, to start,” said Aaron, “and then half a shot of overproof rum.”

“Rum and rum?”

“Yup. It gets better. A shot of orange juice – fresh – and then half a shot of lime. Also fresh. And then, couple drops of bitters–”

“–oh, nice!–”

“–yeah, and then, just a dash of absinthe.”

“You’re shitting me.” Pat – Pete? – even grabbed his ball cap and held it to his heart.

“Honest to god. And then.”

“And then?

Aaron nodded, smiling as he passed an RV on the highway. Much less traffic going north than the other way. “And then, the final ingredient – actually, I’m forgetting some things. Simple syrup, mint garnish, et cetera. But anyway, the pièce de résistance: a shot of falernum.”

“Fa… lernum? What’s that?”

Aaron’s smile broadened. The sun, knee deep into descending at two PM, brought to mind a little beach-side bar in Honolulu. A postcard honeymoon, Jane’s laughter. Had it really been twenty years? They started off like a refreshing margarita on a hot day, but now with Jane basically living at her sister’s, their marriage had gone room temperature and flat.

“Falernum, yeah,” he said. “There’s a lot that goes into it. Cloves, lime, et cetera. But basically, it’s more rum.”

***

They met in the parking lot of the LC, earlier that morning. Another restless Saturday after another argument with Jane. A phone argument, as that’s what they did now.

The lot was empty – except for an elderly couple leaning against each other as they shambled to the ethnic grocers – and the lights in the liquor store were off. No usual flashing “OPEN” sign; not even the other one advertising the lotto. But Aaron chose to ignore that. The locked door, he couldn’t ignore.

He frowned. Might have sworn. There was a piece of paper taped to the glass.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but this store is closed due to the strike, affecting store employees and those in the distribution centre. Limited service is available at the following locations, while supplies last: And it listed three. Three for all of Winnipeg.

Still? Seemed like they’d been striking for years.

“Shitty, eh?” said a man, rounding the corner. Pasty legs painted a burn-red, greasy shorts and hair, and a bonafide non-vape cigarette in his mouth.

Aaron grunted. “Yeah, I guess so. Says the Grant Park location is still working though.”

“Nope.”

“Nope?”

“Nope.” The guy dropped his cigarette and smeared it with his shoe. “They ran out of juice yesterday. Believe me, I checked.” He chuckled mirthlessly. “Oh, did I ever. Whole city’s out.”

Aaron groaned. The cloudless sky promised a cold beer day. “They can’t actually be out though, right? I mean, there’s a warehouse somewhere.”

“Yeah, but they’re not distributing. Fair wages, and all that.”

“Right, right.” Aaron felt something roil in his gut. “Solidarity.” He meant the word the first time – months ago? – but now it was losing all meaning. Now, with their unending talk of fair this and respectful the other, they sounded more and more like Jane every day. “I guess the bars aren’t open yet either.”

“Nope. And a crapshoot if they’ll have anything. And if they do, you know they’ll charge you for it.”

“Yeah.” What the hell kind of Saturday was this going to be? All he wanted to do was relax a bit, collect himself. He sighed, regretting not having paced the last of his Crown Royal. To enjoy a smooth moment of peace before bed, at the expense of tomorrow – the perpetual question. Drinking was such sweet sorrow.

“But hey, listen,” said the stranger. “Just so happens, I know a place that’s still selling.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, buddy of mine told me. Outside the city, but not too far.”

“Well all right!” Aaron rubbed his hands together. “Where is it? I was getting worried there for a moment.”

“Well,” said the guy, dragging out the catch. “What about this. You give me a ride there, and I’ll show you.”

“A ride?” A sweaty weirdo in his Accent? That seemed unlikely. Just then his phone dinged. At the top of the screen, a notification: a text message from Jane. call me, we need to… Aaron’s thumb hovered, poised to unlock.

“Yeah, man. It’s win-win. See, my car broke down, and I could just kill a Glenlivet.”

On the other hand, a man who knew his Scotch couldn’t be that bad. He pocketed his phone again. “All right, sure thing, buddy. Hop in. I’m Aaron, by the way.”

“Pat.”

***

They rode into Beausejour at nearly three PM. That couldn’t be right, Aaron thought. He’d left the house just after ten. Had he really spent most of the day chasing a dream with a stranger?

“Just pull onto Park,” Pat said. “It’s down a ways, a place called Terry’s. Guy I used to work with is the evening manager. Officially they’re closed, but he’s got a little side thing going on.”

Aaron mumbled agreement. Traffic was bad on the highways, but it was also surprisingly bad in this little town. Did people spend their weekends here?

“You don’t think other people heard, do you? About your buddy, I mean.” If this was another waste of time, like Steinbach, Aaron didn’t know what he’d do. Of course, when the city ran out of booze, everyone flocked to the nearest towns to get their fill. They assumed Brandon would get hammered – and it did, with the radio reporting backed up traffic all along the Trans-Canada – but Steinbach got thumped too. The LC’s parking lot there burst at the seams, with cars spilling all over the residential roads. Fat lot of good it was anyway, since apparently they’d run out of stock early that morning.

Fat lot of use that buddy of Pat’s was. Hopefully this one panned out.

“Nah, doubt it. It’s a low-key thing. Not exactly legal.”

“Oh.”

But it was happening again. More cars the closer they drew to Terry’s. Not the chaos of Steinbach, but not promising. Lots of people on foot, chatting in groups. Gawking.

“The hell is going on,” Aaron muttered.

He pulled into the gravel lot and that’s when his stomach sank. There were four squad cars there and the front of Terry’s was covered in police tape. The door to the place was off its hinges, and most of its windows were shattered.

“Jesus, what the hell?” said Pat. He perked up, his eyes darting around wild. It was the first time Aaron’d seen him agitated. Seen him anything other than an irritating laid back.

“That’s just great,” Aaron muttered again. He shifted into park, closed his eyes, and hissed at the Accent’s roof. Three PM and nothing to show for it. A day totally pissed away. Worse, he was starting to really feel it. His stomach’d been queasy since he woke, and the omnipresent throb in his head was asserting itself, but now he was starting to feel the heat, too. The heat and the cold, like his body couldn’t figure out what it was. All he needed was a shot, just something to take the edge off.

And to make things worse, Pat started shouting into his phone. Maybe trying to track down his buddy, maybe trying to salvage things, but what was the point. If he cut his losses now, Aaron could still try to find a bar in town.

His own phone dinged, and he saw another message from Jane. i think you can see that, i think you understand my… Twenty-two unread messages in all. Jane, scribbling a novel via SMS. At least she wasn’t screaming again. He wondered why she was sending texts instead of calling. Maybe karma caught up to her and killed her voice. Or maybe…

Jane always preferred to write the serious things. Said it helped her focus, helped her really work her point out. Well, they’d thrown the D-word around enough times that it wasn’t serious any more. If it happened, it’d just be a formality. So maybe she was actually reaching out? He’d never suspect her of apologizing, but maybe this was her olive branch.

His thumb moved to unlock his phone – and then his rear car door opened as some lanky guy just sat in the back.

Aaron sputtered, pocketing his phone, just as Pat turned around in his seat.

“What the hell, Dean?” said Pat.

“Oh man, everything’s fucked,” said Dean, burying his face in his hands. “Some people broke in this morning, tore the place apart.”

“Jesus! Who did you tell?”

“I’m going to lose my job, Pat.” Dean moaned.

“So, you don’t have anything?” said Aaron. It wasn’t the question he meant to ask, but he couldn’t deny it was the most pressing.

“Naw, man. They took everything and smashed the rest.” He put his fingers on his wrist, as though listening for a pulse. His bug-eyed grimace said he didn’t like what he heard. “Christ, day I’m having, I could really use a drink.”

“Tell me about it,” said Pat.

Aaron frowned. Two sweaty strangers in his Accent was two too many, and the charm of this day had worn off. It was time to salvage what could be salvaged. “Right. Sorry to hear about your trouble, uh, Dean. Thing is, this is my car, and I’m going to need you to–”

“–Wait!” Dean shouted, raising a jubilant finger high.

“What?” said Pat, his hands grasping at the air. “You got something? You know someone?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’ve got an idea. This whole strike thing, it’s our problem, right? But they don’t got it in the States.” He grinned wide, and spread out his hands. “We just drive down to Minneapolis.”

Aaron’s breath caught in his throat. This day was a waste, he knew that. He knew it. And driving down to the States would be its own special hell, since they wouldn’t be the only ones with that idea. They didn’t have any original ideas, it seemed. But, it would work. And that vague hope, that alone was enough to steady his hands, to turn his body back to room-temp. He exhaled his frustration.

“You got gas money?”

***

Three hours later, the sky split between yellow and blue, they were nearing the border. It wasn’t even that bad a drive. Jane stopped pestering his phone, and Pat and Dean were decent enough company in many ways. They reminded him of himself, back in college. And if he was honest, he’d admit that he hadn’t changed all that much himself.

And there was excitement in the car. They had plans. They’d load the Accent up good, but first they’d load themselves up better. Overnight it. Relive some of their greatest memories, like that kegger in ’04, or The Night Dean Discovered Jello Shots.

Aaron let himself smile, as his car inched forward, just one more hungry beast in the horde. It was looking to be a good weekend after all.

“Aaron! Aaron!” Dean said.

Aaron brought his mind back to the car. “What’s up, buddy?”

“Question! Pat was just telling me about this awesome thing you made.”

“Shoot.” They shambled forward another inch.

“So how do you create a zombie?”

August 03, 2023 23:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

Nina H
13:59 Aug 05, 2023

The structure of your story works so well! Pat and Dean are great characters, and there’s a connection with Aaron and his struggles. I really enjoyed their quest.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:49 Aug 07, 2023

Thanks, Nina! Yes, some unexpected connections forged on the road - glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
05:36 Sep 08, 2023

Hey Michal, This stricter was quite interesting. I was fully dedicated to the idea of Frankenstein’s monster with that opening line, but I was delighted by the direction you chose. I found Jane to be a fascinating character. She’s on the brink of true desperation and I can feel her pain through it all. I wish each of your magnetic characters the best of luck. Nice work!!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:41 Sep 08, 2023

Thanks, Amanda! I'm glad you mentioned Jane. The fact she makes an impression, while never directly appearing - save perhaps for some disembodied text messages - is good to hear. I think we can do a lot of characterization work by exploring one character through another's eyes. Anyway, I think you're right about her. This story from her POV is a life and marriage falling apart, and being powerless to stop it, powerless compared to the lure of the drink. Of course, Aaron seems powerless too, and the company he keeps doesn't help.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:00 Aug 10, 2023

Not too dissimilar from the 2000s movie, Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle- with an older cast, andthey were jonesing for burgers instead of booze- IMO more hijinks needed! From unfortunate personal experience, I have found adventures chasing alcohol involve a lot of poor decisions, and situations going wrong! The ending is right on, something about a roadtrip is bonding, even for a few old zombies ;) Thanks!

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:37 Aug 10, 2023

Thanks, Marty! Yeah, the chase and poor decisions go together hand in hand :) Maybe it's not pleasant in the moment, but it does lead to stories, so there's that at least. In an expanded work, there would absolutely be more room for hijinks. That seems to be the weekly struggle - where to cut things, to meet the word count, to actually finish a story. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremy Stevens
19:13 Aug 07, 2023

Yessir. I am thirteen years sober from everything you described here. I remember the need. Thanks for this grim reminder!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:52 Aug 08, 2023

Thirteen years is commendable, congrats! During lockdowns, it always struck me as remarkable that liquor was considered an essential service - but I suspect that not having it, suddenly, really would have led to chaos for a lot of people. Definitely a hard habit to break. Thanks for reading, Jeremy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
17:38 Aug 07, 2023

Hi Michal - The opening line is stellar, of course. Absinthe! Yay! I like Aaron’s forgetfulness, very human; the triple nope was cool. The initial dialogue with Pat was very fun, realistic, with the strikes. Grin - you and I went for the foul mouth this time around. Now others mention a zombie apocalypse here but I’m not seeing that? I mean, I see addicts chasing a high, and maybe that’s a simile for zombihood, but at the end, I’m seeing a shamble, but I’m also seeing communication, talk, zero eating of brains - did I miss something? Are t...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:53 Aug 08, 2023

Thanks, Russell! Yeah, your intuition is right - it's not literally zombies in any undead/religious sense. Rather, the visual of a "horde" of people (in a "shambling" line of cars) chasing their addiction seemed like a decent comparison, especially where rational thought took a back seat to compulsion. And then, what's a pretty common trope in zombie stories? One of the protagonists gets infected, and either the others have to put them down, or are attacked by them - but either way, the condition tears "the family" apart. So maybe there'...

Reply

Russell Mickler
00:21 Aug 09, 2023

Hehe loved it! At least I'm not crazy - :) Thank you! R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bob Long Jr
16:50 Aug 07, 2023

Loved it .. thanks Michael

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:55 Aug 08, 2023

Thanks, Robert! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
14:00 Aug 07, 2023

This is so good Michal, but any story from you is! Zombie apocalypse! I can just see all these starving husks of people chasing their addiction all the way to the states to get their fix. I like how Aaron is self aware enough to query his life choices and to be a little horrified by what he allows to happen, (ie picking up two random strangers to further his quest for a fix.) We get a sense of what has happened to the marriage and that addiction has probably played a large part in its demise. Addiction is a bitch like that. It kills you sl...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:40 Aug 07, 2023

Thanks, Michelle! That's made my day :) "aware enough and a little horrified" sounds about right, like when you both do and don't want something. Glad the relationship part came through, and you're right, it can kill over many different dimensions at the same time. And the *slowly* is key, isn't it? It can be hard to notice, day to day. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nathaniel Miller
23:57 Aug 06, 2023

Great story, Michal. What I think I appreciate most about this is the subplot, Aaron’s relationship. It’s there, it’s important, but it isn’t resolved. Because, simply put, there are things that are more important to him than that relationship. I also thought the drinking camaraderie was an interesting angle. Their drinking is bad, clearly an addiction. But it’s not all bad, because the friendships they’re creating and the memories they’re reliving do have serious value. Some good nuance to throw in there. Anyways, good take on the pro...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:42 Aug 07, 2023

Thanks, Nathaniel! Some great points. "there are things that are more important to him" sounds right on, and there's definitely a social side to it too - and us being social animals, it's understandable. Glad you enjoyed it, and that the nuance came through. It'd be all too easy to say "this is bad", but that doesn't really help us dig into why we do it anyway. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:25 Aug 06, 2023

I love your story in the way in which it portrays reality in a midlife crisis.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:47 Aug 07, 2023

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:06 Aug 06, 2023

How to make a zombie indeed. Far too easily when addiction is a factor, sadly. Feel for Aaron who seems so far gone and doesn't know it. A familiar story the world over sadly. This was a great way to frame the issue and explore it from the addicts perspective. Powerful and also compelling.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:45 Aug 07, 2023

Thanks, Derrick! Yes, all too easy, especially with the more socially acceptable vices. Is it addiction that leads to problems? Or problems that lead to addiction? Well, probably both, and probably unique to each person. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
09:58 Aug 04, 2023

Chasing the buzz! Great sub plots here of the drive of addiction, the effect it has on relationships and how, at times, we are willing to trust anyone, and do anything, that may aid said addiction. What a great opening line too, grabbed me instantly and then flipped it on its head. "The cloudless sky promised a cold beer day." What a line, gives us character mentality and scene setting all in one. "To enjoy a smooth moment of peace before bed, at the expense of tomorrow – the perpetual question." This is so good! Another marvelous submi...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:36 Aug 04, 2023

Thanks, Kevin! That's made my day :) Very happy those lines landed. Yeah, when you crave, when you must have, other things fade into the background and become less important. It's a fascinating thing. Very useful for survival situations, no doubt, but probably more a hindrance in the modern world. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
00:08 Aug 04, 2023

Nice cocktail of the fun and tragedy of booze. Three zombies chasing their buzz. I liked the sad, poignant inclusion of his ignored, soon-to-be-ex-wife. The bitters in the mix. Thanks for sharing, Michal.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:38 Aug 04, 2023

Fun and tragedy indeed :) Good times, but easy to take it too far. Glad the bit about the failing relationship worked out. I thought the premise without it could probably carry a story, but it might have been too watered down. Thanks for the feedback, Chris!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.