2 comments

Holiday

Evie pushed the bolt close on the pub door as the last of the merrymakers made their drunken way home and gave a deep sigh.’ Nick came over from behind the bar pulling her into a hug, 

‘Come here you. You deserve a bloody medal for all the hours you’ve put in during the run up to Christmas.’

‘So do you…’

‘Hey, what’s the matter?’ he asked noticing that she was about to tear up.

‘It’s nothing,’

‘It’s Christmas Eve. I have a rule that nobody should be sad on Christmas Eve, especially not my beautiful girlfriend, okay? So, grab a drink and let’s sit in front of the fire and you can tell me what’s bothering you.’

She was about to protest that they still had all the clearing up to do before tomorrow but she allowed Nick to lead her to her favourite fireside seat. With a glass of red in her hand and the tree twinkling in the corner, she felt a little better even though the sick feeling in the pit of her stomach was still there.

‘So are you going to tell me?’ he asked gently.

There was a pause before she blurted out, 

‘What’s it all for, Nick? We’re working our socks off and we’ve got nothing to show for it. Takings are down and at this rate I can’t see us surviving more than a few months. This is going to be our quietest Christmas ever.’

Nick turned white.

‘A few months?’

‘I’ve done the number scrunching. Six months is optimistic.’

‘I’d no idea things were so bad.’

‘Things are so bad, Nick, that if we can’t sell, the bank will end up foreclosing. Do you know how many pubs are closing down each week?’

‘So much for living the dream, eh? I love this village. We know just about everyone. I can’t imagine living anywhere else, can you? Would it help if we really cut back?”

‘We’ve already pared things back to the bone as it is. I didn’t want to say anything tonight of all nights but it just got to me seeing everyone enjoying themselves. If it was like that every night, we’d be laughing.’

‘I know. We probably won’t see most of them for months now. There must be something we can do?’

‘Let’s sleep on it, shall we? At least tomorrow’s Christmas Day so we only have to do lunchtime drinks then we can rest up a bit.’

‘You look shattered. You go on up and I’ll finish down here.’

‘If you’re sure? Don’t forget to leave a lamp on in the window. It was one of mum’s old traditions.’

Just as she was about to go upstairs, there was a loud banging on the door.

‘We’re closed,’ Nick shouted.

‘It’s me, Jethrow, open up.’

Throwing open the door as soon as Nick released the latch, Jeth burst in,

‘River’s burst its banks. Farm’s flooded. Got to get the animals out. Need to use your skittle alley.’

Grabbing his coat and putting on a pair of wellies, Nick followed Jeth to the tractor where he could hear sheep bleating in the trailer.

‘Right,  let’s get ‘em into the alley. Once I’ve been back for the cows, I’ll bring some bales of hay up. They should be snug enough then.’

It was nearly 3am by the time they’d rescued all Jeth’s livestock. The skittle alley hadn’t been nearly big enough meaning the pub had been turned into a farmyard.

‘Right, I think that’s enough drama for one night. I’m going to have a shower and try and get some sleep,’ Nick said.

‘I’ll bring you up a hot drink.’

No sooner had he made a move than there was a loud banging on the door.

‘What now? Not more of Jeth’s animals. Health and safety will have a field day.’

‘That’s actually quite funny.’

‘What?’

            ‘Never mind. Just open the door.’

It was clear that the two women on the doorstep needed help. One of them was crouched over, moaning in pain.

‘You were the only place with a light on. We got cut off by the flood on our way to hospital. I think she’s about to have the baby.’

‘A baby? She can’t have a baby here. Look around. There’s sheep everywhere and cows out the back. It’s hardly hygienic,’ Nick said.

‘ Oh my God. It’s coming,’ the woman shrieked,

‘Okay, what’s your name?’ Evie asked.

‘Maria,’ she panted.

‘Well. Maria, I don’t think we’ve got much choice. Let’s try and make you comfortable. You’d never get up the stairs and I doubt an ambulance can get through in this weather.’

Together with Maria’s partner, Jo, they settled her as best they could, Evie bringing clean sheets and hot water as Jo tried to keep her calm.

‘Whose stupid idea was it to have IVF?’ Marie ranted through breaks in the contractions, ‘ Next time, it’s your turn, alright?’

A whirling blue light and siren outside signalled help had arrived as Nick opened the door yet again. This time to three paramedics.

‘Just in time,’ the first one said as he gave Maria gas and air.

‘Haven’t you got anything stronger?’ Maria gasped.

‘Need to get you to hospital for that, love and by the looks of you, we won’t make it. Just one big push when I say, okay?’

‘Thought the three wise men were supposed to bring gifts?’ Jo joked trying to relax Maria.

Before they could reply, there was a piercing cry as a newborn entered the world.

‘Looks like you two have got a baby boy,’ the paramedic said after he’d checked the baby over and wrapped him in a clean sheet.

‘He’s perfect,’ Jo said, kissing Maria.

‘I know we said we ‘d call him Oliver if it was a boy but you know, he looks just like my dad. Would you mind if we called him Christos after him?’

‘Christos. I like it and after what you’ve been through, we can call him whatever you like. One thing’s for sure, we’re not having any more.’

While the ambulance crew packed away, giving the couple a bit of tIme together before Maria was taken to hospital to be checked out, a man with a huge camera arrived.

‘So it is true, then? Heard someone had given birth in a stable but no idea it was a celebrity.’

As he clicked the flash, causing the baby to scream, Nick ushered him out.

‘I don’t know what your game is, but she’s just given birth. Have a bit of decency.’

‘You don’t know, do you? That’s Maria Lefteri, she’s a famous Greek actress.’

‘Right, out! Now,’ Nick said pushing the man out of the door.

‘Well this is a Christmas to remember,’ Evie said once peace and quiet had been restored – or at least as much peace and quiet as the pub full of animals allowed.

‘I don’t think it’s going to be quiet for long,’ Nick replied as he turned on the news, ’Must be a quiet news day.’

‘We’re all over the Internet too,’ Evie replied as she checked her phone. ‘It seems Maria has quite a cult following and everybody wants to know where the stable is where she gave birth.’

They gazed out of the window as a bright star illuminated the room.

‘Not such a quiet Christmas after all?’ Nick said as they embraced, ‘I think we’re going to be okay.’

 

December 21, 2019 12:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

18:03 Dec 30, 2019

Great job. I loved it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Judy McIntosh
00:01 Jan 02, 2020

A modern take on an old favorite. The story flowed well, bringing the reader into a pub late one night. Good job. Judy

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.