The 'clutch' between two teams

Written in response to: Write about someone deliberately trying to make somebody else envious.... view prompt

1 comment

Contemporary High School Teens & Young Adult

It’s a Sunday and no school for high school children of St. Georgia High School but one thing that brought them to school was the inter-house baseball match. The match is conducted once every month and Fred and George were rival participants and Captains of the houses. Fred was from the ‘Splendour team and George was from the ‘Maverick team.

Both Fred and George had a kind of rift between each other and were unfriendly captains from opposite teams right from the beginning of grade 9. The other two teams are ‘Lucky’ and ‘Silver’ which have always been the teams that gave an unfair advantage to Splendours and Mavericks by losing the game. It has already happened multiple times, the Mavericks rise to a high degree of pride when Lucky and Silver lose against them. They concretely believe they are the winning participants of the prize too. 

But amongst the runner-up teams, it is the Splendours who win the match most of the time. The Splendour team is waiting eagerly for a desperate win this time in the final match. George of Mavericks is self-centred and evoked envy in the Splendour team one day by singing ‘we are to win, you are to lose’ and ‘we are to gain, you are to lose’. Adding fuel to fire, they had to taste a comment along with losing the game.

But the Splendour team were rocks. Although they lost matches many times for Mavericks, they were still haughty and proud and took the loss with a pinch of salt. They always played their game anticipating a victory or not. The Mavericks were such guys that they play with such fierceness that it makes the Splendours envious of the service they make.

The month was August and the match was held early in the morning. All participants were ready to play the game. 

The batting team was the Mavericks and George from the team hit a ball and gained a point. The cheerleaders cheered with such awe as a natural gesture hoping for a win by the Mavericks. But the Splendours, known to be the second winning team after the Mavericks gave a tough competition to them this time. Many runs were prevented so the score was not high unlike before. George could not make more runs with the competitiveness he had to undergo.

Just then, something happened all of a sudden. When George attempted to take runs, the fielding team Splendours stopped the runner George from gaining runs by hitting the base with the ball and finally ousted him. The next player came and he could not score much either.

This time it was the Splendours’ turn to bat and Mavericks’ turn to field. The pitcher from the Maverick team made a ball and Fred from the Splendour team hit the ball and took runs around the base and returned to the batting place before anything unfortunate could happen. Fred did this multiple times and scored good runs say 5. Although the players around the bases tried extremely hard to stop the ball, they couldn’t. The score of Splendours was 39 for 25.

As you could say, the fate of Splendours changed for the good and took the winner’s advantage. And this made the Mavericks behave enviously which Splendours were not aware of and played terrifically as a natural progression. Finally, the Splendours won the match and this was unbelievable for the entire school. The Mavericks had never given a chance of winning to anyone until now. Now it’s time for the Splendour team to put up the flag high in the sky and be proud of the victory they have witnessed for the first time.

To be letting the cat out of the bag, there’s a secret as to why the Splendours took the win this time. They requested a coach who taught adults to train them up this time. They collected 500 pounds from their parents and offered it to the coach. But the coach was happy to train them up for free.

They practised day and night and devoted and dedicated their study time too for the game. They learned new things from the coach and training and practised vigorously. This time the Splendours were looking for a win with such deliberation that they no doubt would win and so they did.

They could not forget the ill-treatment meted out to them by the Mavericks for which they wanted to teach them a lesson, in particular, rather than aim at winning the game alone.

But how natural it could be, the Splendours were a nice and friendly team. Although the Mavericks created a vacuum between themselves the Splendours were hospitable. Once, when the match practice was taking place, one of the Maverick boys fell and hurt himself, and immediately the Splendours brought a first aid kit to come to the rescue. 

The Mavericks grew in envy but did not change their attitude toward their fellow players who did not belong to their team but yet should have been respectful by then.

Finally, Splendours won for the first time and knew no heaps and bounds. The principal of the school announced the victory and the cup were awarded by the Principal of St. Georgia high school.

There was a party held by the Splendours and all attended. It was a surprise to see the Mavericks at the party which was held usually as a celebration of the runner-up team. But this time it is a complete victory. The Mavericks attended the party for the first time and the teams had an incredible party with good food, drink, and music. Although the Mavericks were an envious team that showed the feeling now and then during their play, they realized there is worth in other players too, not self alone.

But my dear Splendours did not reveal what they did to win the game and the Mavericks did not know either how they could win a tough game that was played as ever before. But finally, the Splendours got two things they wanted one victory and the other – a change in the mindset of Mavericks which was very evident when they joined hands for the party!

August 02, 2022 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

04:02 Aug 02, 2022

The story takes place between two rival baseball teams.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.