Locked Away

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Science Fiction

Locked Away

I stared at the door that had been sealed for so long. I had become so used to seeing it closed, but lately it felt a little confining, as though it trapped me here and turned this space into a prison to lock me, us away in.

His voice softened, “I know you miss it.”

My gaze shifted to his eyes, now softer than his voice, though not sympathetic, but understanding. He knew this as well as I did, he felt the same longing as I had. I softened the stern line of my lips, my gaze following the bridge of his nose down to the stern line of his lips and the hard set of his jaw. He missed it too.

He opened his arms and I curled into them, accepting the warmth and comfort that had been our only solace since we closed the door. Though I’d wondered if we’d done the right thing in locking ourselves away.

“At least I have you,” his voice was higher as though he felt that was the most important thing, even after all this time. Maybe I was the most important thing to him now. We’d been together so long and to be here alone, just the two of us, it was all we knew now. He was absolutely the most important thing in my life, I’d mostly forgotten about the outside world. Though he often made that easy, with his stolen kisses and secret touches.  

              His fingers traced slow circles in the small off my back, a tingle spread out from his touch and spiralled along my skin like it wanted to etch the pattern into my skin. Then I felt his breath hot on my neck before he placed a gentle kiss there. His hands traced a line up my back and tangled in my hair before pulling my face away slightly. His dark eyes met mine in a passionate, lust-filled stare before his lips claimed mine.

I opened my mouth, accepting him into me as had become such a routine thing to do, but felt anything but. The feeling spread far and wide, it met every part of my body and left me tingling, a spark of fire burned inside me. I pulled his hips against mine, eager to feel more, then his lips met my neck again and stole my breath.

I leaned back; my knees weak. I couldn’t take a step for fear I’d fall, but his arms held me in place as his breath fanned my neck after each soft kiss. My heart hammered as he moved lower to my collar bone, his mouth had become urgent, his need to consume me greater.

His hand grasped my hair and held tight as he spun me around. My back landed against his chest, my own heaved. My eyes slid closed as his lips met my neck once more and his hand moved to the buttons on my blouse, his hands claiming me as they moved over the exposed flesh.

His lips travelled to my ear, his breath blew over the sensitive skin and I trembled, “we’ve spent three long years down here together. In that time, I have learned everything there is to learn about you. Including everything you like,” his mouth moved over the small spot just under my ear. His kiss was gentle, but the skin was overly sensitive, my mouth opened, and he crushed my body against his as though he willed us to be one.

“And in this time, you have only grown more enticing, more mysterious and sexier than hell itself. You make me burn; my lust never sated. You drive me wild, woman and now you’ll feel what I feel.” His voice sounded dark, thick and filled with lust.

His hands never left me, always touching, always taunting.

His lips never wandered, always kissing, the promise never left, always there.

“Of all the people out there risking everything and fighting for their lives, you are the only one I want in here with me and that will never change.”

His lips moved down my neck as he continued, “the entire world could burn, but as long as breath fills your lungs, and love fills your heart, you’ll be all that I need.”

My heart swelled as his hand reached inside my blouse to search more of me. He parted the fabric, another button undone and revealed more skin to the soft candlelight around us. He tugged my hair until my eyes met his, then his lips captured mine in a sensual dance. He held me still against him as his mouth worked over mine searching until every corner had been rediscovered.

His touch grew softer, less passion-filled and his eyes met mine almost asking, as they so often did. I didn’t need to utter the words, I turned and threw my arms around his neck, pulling his mouth to mine. I only broke the kiss for a split second, I jumped to the air and wrapped my legs around his slim waist, gripping his hips tight.

Then my mouth was on his, the passion rose in both of us again, as though the embers had yet to catch flame, but once they did, we both fell apart, everything escaping us, nothing held back, no secret unknown.

Our breath raged as he pushed my back against a wall, his hands moved over my legs and up to my hips, holding me against his body as though I were the only thing to ever matter. As though we were the last ones left alive in this terror-filled world and we were all that mattered anymore.

My mouth escaped his to suck in a heavy breath, filling my lungs, but making my mouth ache to feel his. “Don’t stop, not this time.”

My heart hammered, spurred on by the feel of his against my chest as he pinned his body to mine, holding me captive to his sweet surrender. He never could resist me, I guess not everything changes. I closed my eyes reliving every moment in this one, this was usual for me as of late. To go over every other time he’d touched me this way as his hands moved the same way now. His mouth never stopped devouring me and I never wanted it to.

This was our little piece of paradise in a world clouded by catastrophe, taken by those who never deserved it, it’s a shame no one else would ever be here to enjoy it with us. We were the last, we were the only, at least as far as we could tell.

September 22, 2020 21:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.