1 comment

American Fiction Inspirational

Setting - afterlife

“Good morning Jim.”

“Good morning Anita. How many people do I have to take care of today?”

“Didn’t count but, here’s the list. I think I saw someone from your place.”

Jim takes the list and scrolls down the name of places and notices a name called Rick mentioned against Louisville. His hometown.

He sees Rick sitting at the right end corner of the hall. He has known so many Ricks in his life, but the surname Anderson sticks out the most. His childhood friend, who he went to college with was Andrew Anderson and had married one of his best friend, Liza. They had a son named Rick. Was it him? The last time he saw him was….What could have happened? He checked his record quickly

Time of death : 4:35 a.m

Age : 25 years

Cause of death : Car accident (homicidal angle being probed)

Jim was surprised, no shocked to see him here so soon. A young chap like him didn’t deserve to be here. He had a lot to offer to the world and receive all the blessings in return. He was a ball of sunshine wherever he went. He attracted people because of his charm and somehow always united them. The record also mentions the statements of his loved ones and acquaintances as ‘A jolly fellow, brilliant student, benevolent, profound thinker, passionate public speaker’ and so on.

‘He was only 25’ keeps repeating in his head. This the first time he has felt any emotional connection towards his clients. Probably because of the history he shared with this person as a human being. Suddenly he reminisces his mortal life.

He was present during Rick’s birth which happened while he was on a trip to Canada with his parents. He practically lived with them until they decided to migrate to another state. He had witnessed almost all his milestones as a child. Took care of him like a father would. He still couldn’t believe it was the same boy that he had carried on his shoulders, took him camping, taught him to ride a bicycle, slept with him when he couldn’t sleep during a thunderstorm. That same boy has now grown into a young and smart looking man.

He sighs and decides to walk towards him, unsure how to introduce himself. Worried, if he will remember him or not. He has never seen Rick so quiet and reserved. He must be shocked from his death.

As soon as he approaches him, Rick looks up at him and stares at his eyes.

“You must be Rick Anderson, right?”

The young man nods and replies, “Yes I am Rick.”

“Do you mind if I sit beside you?” pointing at the space next to him.

“Sure.”

He clears his throat and starts speaking, “I don’t know if you recognized me—

“I know who you are, Mr Jim. How can I ever forget you?” There was a moment of silence as Jim tried to recollect his mind.

“You haven’t aged a day. You look exactly like when I last saw you, and you passed three years after our last meeting.” They kept looking at each other, not knowing what to say but there’s a lot to ask.

Jim receives a notification and is brought out his trance. He opens the notification and sees it’s an update regarding Rick’s case. It has been proven as a homicidal case, bringing an end to it’s investigation. Normally accidents are re-investigated by the investigative bureau of the afterlife only to make punishments in the afterlife more stronger for those who commit these crimes and disguise it as an accident.

He is now intrigued by the man sitting beside him. What is his story? Why was he murdered? All of which he could find in his records.

“I don’t know if you know this but, ah, it was not an accident.” Pause.

“I figured that much.”

“Why?”

“That’s the price you pay for standing up for truth. When they know that you are going to be a nuisance, it’s better to get rid of you.”

“You are just like your dad.” Smiling.

“But everybody else thinks otherwise. They think I have inherited your anger, stubbornness and perseverance. I like to think so too.” Now Rick smiling back at him.

Had Jim been a mortal, his eyes would be filled with tears now. He never married or had any nieces and nephews. Rick and his sister was the closest opportunity he could get to experience fatherhood. That’s why after his death he was happy to know that they had come for his funeral. He had missed them terribly and never got to see them after shifting.

“There’s a law in here where, people who have been killed along with good deeds gets a chance to make their wishes come true. Depending upon their points they get for their good deeds, the more number of wishes can be made. You get to make five wishes come true. But asking for being mortal, or killing someone does not include in that. So do you have any wishes you want to make before we head to the lake.”

Rick ponders for a while.

“I am not sure about five, but, first I wish to send a message to my parents. Will that be possible?”

“Absolutely! You just need to appear in their dreams and for that we need to head to the telecommunications department. Anything else?”

“Well, it was always my dream to learn calligraphy, wood carving, travel around the world, someday publish a book and…”

“And?”

“The list never ends.” Sighing. “I had so much left to do but, I don’t why, I don’t feel bad.”

“Because you were busy making the world a better place?”

“Yeah, I guess so. I have always wanted to be like you. Caring for my community, protecting it, but as a person who had found being in social circles for a long time uncomfortable, thought I could never do anything to follow my true calling. That was until I started following your cases did I realize that we both had so much in common.”

Now looking at Jim.

“I realized I could be who I am without compromising the need for my own space where I can thrive and grow by doing exactly as you did. I started doing all those activities that we used to do together and giving priority to my higher education. I taught myself to be comfortable in my own skin. Just like you.”

Jim never realized this until Rick said it, but he is an introvert just like him. That’s why he had such small circle of friends, loved spending his time alone, but also enjoyed the company of others. Just that he needed some time to recharge after that. He had always imagined Rick as an outgoing person, but probably mistook his chattiness with him as an extroverted person. He was one among those close circle of friends, that is why he was free with him and conversed a lot.

“Those times I spent with you were the most meaningful moments of my life. They were deeply engraved in my heart. It inspired me to be the person who I am and something to hold onto during dark times, so thank you for existing in my life.”

“I know son. I know! Thank you for existing in my life too!”

July 30, 2021 01:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mellanie Crouell
20:32 Aug 03, 2021

Awesome!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.