0 comments

Contemporary Coming of Age Fiction

A LESSON LEARNED

"Say, who is that over by the window? He's kind of cute and I've seen him around school." Denise smiled at her friend, Angie, and gestured with her left hand which was holding a gin and tonic. The Friday night faculty gathering had grown rather dull in the last half hour.

Angie glanced up and smiled. "Oh, that's Brian Thompson. He's a fourth-grade teacher. Yea, he is kind of cute, I guess, but looks like he is about 16."

"So, have you met him?"

Angie nodded. "Really immature, if you ask me. But quite amusing and always has a snappy comeback to just about anything said."

"How old is he?"

"Well, it's his first year out of college. So, he couldn't be more than 21 or so."

"What do you mean he is immature?"

Angie shrugged. "Oh, some of the things he says. Quick humor, the kind of response that most of us would have to think about for hours."

Both women were now focused on the man being discussed. He was medium height, with shaggy blond hair that seemed to have a mind of its own. He wore thin wire glasses over his icy blue eyes and resembled John Denver, currently the musical rage. Perhaps sensing that he was undergoing inspection, he looked up and smiled at them.

Denise asked, "Well, what do you think about trying to get to know him?"

Angie chuckled. "Who, me? Well, he is hardly my type. I like the burly kind, the broad-shouldered guy who holds the door open and tells me how nice I look."

"Well, you are divorced now and should check out the territory."

"He's definitely not my type. And besides, getting cozy with a fellow teacher is never a good idea."

           "You can't be too choosy, friend. Go over and talk to him."

A few minutes later Angie stopped at the chip and dip table to sample the wares. She looked up to see Brian standing next to her at the table.

"Do you like these social situations?" He was refilling his glass of Pepsi and appeared to be nonchalant about the gathering. "I hate these things and always feel out of place."

"Perhaps you are still adjusting to life in Arizona. It's a little different than, Wisconsin, I think you said."

"No, it's just that I don't know many people at the school yet and feel like I'm still being given stink eye, if you know what I mean." He looked at Angie and smiled. "I could see you and your friend over there staring at me."

"Sorry. But you are new and people will do that for a while."

"Well, what's the consensus?"

"That you are too young and have a fantastic sense of humor."

"Is that all?"

"So far."

"Well, I'll settle for that."

"Tell me about Wisconsin."

"It's cold, it's a long way from here and I couldn't get out of there soon enough."

"Did you think about teaching there?"

"Not really. Didn't know what I wanted to do. But a friend of mine took a job teaching here and told me I'd like it. He said the weather was warm, there were plenty of girls and lots to do. That about sums it up."

"Regrets?"

"Not really. Just need time to adjust. How about you? How long have you been teaching?"

"This is my third year. I just got divorced, so I'm making an adjustment too.  But the teaching part gets easier every year. It's just routine now. You'll see. By Christmas, you'll feel like a real pro."

"Are you here with someone tonight?"

"Nope. Just me and my VW."

"Want to go and get some real food?"

Angie wanted to know more about this easy-going guy, but was unsure about the protocol. "How would it look if we left together?"

"Don't have to leave together. Do you know that Chinese place on Tatum? It's great. I go there often and the food is wonderful."

           "You mean The Lantern? Sure, I know it."

"Tell you what. You seem uneasy about going. But that's where I'm headed. Need some real food. I'm going to leave in a few minutes. If you want to come, no pressure. Just follow the road to The Lantern. How's that?"

           Angie shrugged. "Sounds OK. Just let me think about it."

"OK." Brian refilled his glass and continued circling the room, sipping vigorously. He shook hands with the hostess, Cindy Patrick and her husband, then waved slightly around the room and was gone.

Angie remained at the table for a few minutes, then found Denise and said, "I'm going home. My head is throbbing. See you on Monday."

She gathered her jacket and walked into the brisk October air. As she approached her car, she was still undecided about her next destination, but found herself steering toward The Lantern a few blocks away. Perhaps it was time to test the water a bit, though she was afraid to wade in very far.

As she opened the door to the restaurant, the normally serene interior was raucous with laughter emitting from the bar area. She peeked around the corner and saw several men standing and sitting at the far end of the bar, applauding, and cheering loudly. Brian was standing with the group, demonstrating something with a deck of cards. The men were completely fixated on him and patting each other on the back, laughing and chatting. Finally, Brian looked up, shook hands with the men and walked toward Angie.

"Gee, it looks like everyone was having fun." She gestured toward the group.

"Livelier than the faculty party, for sure. I was just doing some card tricks and, well, I'm good at them." He smiled, waving back to the group still collected at the bar. "Magic and card tricks are things I've been doing for years. Also did a little stand-up comedy in college."

"I'm impressed. You seem to enjoy it."

"I like people and doing things for fun when I control the situation."

"What do you mean 'control the situation'?"

"I hate the unexpected, surprise birthday parties, things like that." He smiled and looked away. "I'm not exactly a control freak, just the youngest of five brothers. I grew up waiting for someone to jump out of the closet or ambush me when I was asleep. So that's my least favorite thing." He looked around. "I'm glad you came. Wasn't sure if you would. Do you want to get a table?"

"Yes. That sounds nice."

They walked to the hostess table and were seated right away.

"So, you have been here before?"

"Oh, yes. It's one of my favorite places. Good atmosphere and great food."

They were seated near a window and began to scan the menu. A few minutes later they ordered and settled back in the booth.

Angie asked, "So, how do you like the school so far."

"It's OK. People seem nice. But I'm having difficulty feeling at home yet. No doubt that will change."

"Give it some time. You're doing fine."

"I'm not sure what is expected of me. I try to do a good job."

"You are fine. Just stop worrying so much."

"I think I'd feel better if I had someone in my life to help, to talk with, to love."

"Haven't you met anyone yet?"

"Maybe. There is only one person so far that makes me feel completely comfortable."

"Oh, that's progress. Who is it?"

"It's you, Angie. Don't you know that?"

"Why, I don't feel like I know you very well."

"That's the way I am. When I feel strongly about something, I can be quite direct. He paused. "I know you are divorced and did the math to know that you are a few years older than me, which shouldn't matter to either of us. How do you feel about going out with me for a while?"

"I…I think it would be nice. But you know we would have to be terribly discreet. Dating someone in the same school is really not a good idea."

"I understand. Well, think it over and we can talk later."

Dinner was served and conversation slowed to the background issues. Angie learned a lot about Brian that evening. He was from a large family, most of who were married and lived within a few miles of his parents. That is the precisely why he was looking for a new start in a different part of the country. He loved competitive sports like golf and tennis and seemed to play whenever he could. By the end of the evening, Angie felt relaxed around with Brian, his personality and his midwestern charm. As she had told Denise earlier, he was hardly her type, but he was growing on her.

As they walked to their cars after dinner, Brian asked, "So, what do you think? About dating, I mean?"

"I think it might be a good idea. Just keep in mind that no one can know."

Brian smiled. "Good. I'll call you tomorrow, if that is OK."

"Fine. I'll be home. Thanks for dinner. I enjoyed it."

On her drive home, Angie thought about the evening. She was fascinated by Brian and his naivety. He could be a nice friend, if nothing else.

The following afternoon, Angie was at home when Brian phoned. "Here I am, as promised."

Angie smiled when she answered. "So, a man of his words."

"What are you doing?"

"Fairly exciting stuff. Vacuuming the living room."

"Can I come over?"

"Sure. Give me a half hour. Do you know where I live?"

"If you tell me, I will."

"1655 Fairlane Drive. Just past the Roosevelt exit."

"Be there in about an hour."

Angie hung up the phone and wondered if she might have made a big mistake. She remained a bit unsure of this man who she was now letting into her life, but felt comfortable with their conversation the night before. Perhaps it would be nice to have another friend.

About an hour later, there was a knock at the door. There stood Brian, in jeans and a T-shirt, looking cute and casual and wearing a broad smile. "Hello."

Angie opened the door. "See, all vacuumed and ready for company. Would you like something to drink?"

"Do you have beer?"

"I have beer, iced tea, Pepsi, coffee and water."

"Beer, please." He walked around the small living room and perched on the edge of the sofa. "This is nice. How long have you been here?"

"About six months. I do like it." She handed him a beer.

"You might think I'm moving a little fast. But I'm a man on a quest."

"I know. Find someone to love."

Brian leaned back. "It's more than that. You may not believe me but I have to tell you something."

"Go ahead."

"I have dated many times – in high school and college. But I have never been with a woman physically. It's become a pursuit. I may need to take a course, or something. And I know the basics, of course, but I'm still a novice."

Angie almost said something horrible like, "You're kidding." But restrained saying anything. This was obviously a terrible burden for him to admit. Instead, she smiled and said, "Perhaps I can help."

"Really? I mean, I would very much appreciate it."

"Do you want me show you? We could go upstairs now, if you want." She couldn't believe that she was making this offer, but it was too late now to change her mind without sounding ridiculous.

Brian smiled. "That would be lovely. No matter what happens, I'm sure we will have a nice time."

Angie took Brian by the hand and lead him up the stairs to her bedroom. Neither of them spoke. He sat down on the bed. She stood in front of him and removed her clothes, then went to the other side of the bed and got under the covers. "Don't be nervous," she said. "I'm sure you know the basics and the rest we can work on together."

Brian got undressed and got into the bed. "I'll bet this all seems a little impulsive. Sorry."

Angie pulled him to her. "It will be wonderful, I'm sure."

They soon got the preliminaries resolved.

They remained in bed, her head on his chest for a very long time. Finally, Brian whispered, "That was lovely. I'll always remember this moment."

Angie finally said, "Me, too. I guess we are going to be friends for a while." She smiled and snuggled. "Meant a lot to me, too."

Later she offered to make something for them to eat.

Brian was already getting dressed and said, "I hate to say it, but I must go. It's Saturday and I always have errands to do, groceries, laundry." Then he leaned in a kissed her. "So sorry to leave."

           She threw on a robe and walked him downstairs. "Sorry to see you go, honestly. But I do understand. We get so little time each week to take care of the basics."

He kissed her again. "I'll see you on Monday."

"Remember – no one must know."

"Got it." He opened the door and left.

She clicked on the tv and found an old movie. She sat there feeling wonderful for the first time in a while and hoped that she had not made a big mistake.

On Monday, Angie was a little apprehensive about running into Brian in the hallway. It might be hard to act as though nothing was going on with them. Then she had to ask herself if something was going on with them. She was still unsure.

It was noon when she first saw him. He was standing in the cafeteria line with his class. He smiled and waved when he saw her, then turned to be with the kids at the table.

Denise sat down at the teachers' table next to Angie.

Angie whispered, "So how was the end of the faculty party?"

Denise said, "Oh, nothing too exciting. You didn't miss anything."

"I hated to leave, but my head was pounding."

Denise said, "Well, I've got something to tell you. I've become involved with someone. It just happened on Sunday."

"Oh, really? Is it someone I've heard about before?"

"No, not really. I'll tell you out on the playground after lunch."

The table hosted the usual school gossip, which students got detention, who was out sick. Teachers could be so repetitive about minutia that Angie rarely listened.

When she and Denise turned in their lunch trays, Denise said, "Come outside and we can talk." They stood near the building in order to see who was leaving and entering the playground.

"Why so mysterious?" Angie whispered.

"I just need to know that no one can hear me. Something happened over the weekend and I would rather keep this quiet." Denise turned her head to check for other adults in the area. "You remember that guy at the faculty party, Brian?"

Angie was stunned. "Oh, the blond fourth grade teacher? Sure."

"Well, I could tell he had been staring at me all evening. I mean, he has these pale blue eyes and they glowed like lasers. I couldn't help but notice."

Angie said nothing.

"So, Saturday morning, he called me. I hadn't said more than a word or two to him, and certainly didn't go around giving out my number. He must have asked someone. Anyway, he called and asked if he could come over to my apartment on Sunday afternoon."

"Oh."

"He was very nice on the phone and I said that would be fine. We talked a bit and then he said he had some errands that he had to do on Saturday and would see me on Sunday." She paused. "It all sounded terribly nice and normal, so I began thinking about him. I thought it might be nice to have a friend to go out with, since I'm not seeing anyone just now." She looked at Angie. "You don't seem too surprised."

Angie smiled. "Just listening. Go on."

"So, he came over and we talked. Have you ever talked to him? He's really sweet. Well, he told me the story of growing up in a big family and always being the last one to try anything or get attention. Seems he was always left out. Long story short, he had dated but never had been with a woman and asked me to help him meet that challenge."

A chill ran down Angie's back. She was unable to talk, let alone think. At last she managed to say, "So you helped him out, I imagine."

"Oh, yes. It was just fabulous. I had never seen such expertise or felt such total pleasure. I hope this turns into a lengthy relationship because I'm totally smitten with Brian."

Angie looked at her watch. "You know, my class will be outside the door in about five minutes. I really need to go. Denise, I'm very happy for you. Just remember that getting involved with a co-worker is not a good idea. I would be very sure you kept this quiet if I were you." She turned and walked to meet her class.

On this particular Monday, there was a lot of learning taking place.

July 18, 2024 17:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.