2 comments

Christian Contemporary Romance

Lacey Moore thought, "Oh no!", as she headed to the loo again. Heaving, she realized she had the dreaded Bali belly. What had she eaten on that fateful trip? Maybe it was last night's takeaway. It all seemed like just yesterday, her holiday in the tropics.

As she emerged, looking slightly green around the gills, her sister, Mariah, did a double take. 'What's wrong with you? That's the third time this morning." Lacey's pleasant Sunday morning was further shattered when Mariah asked, "Do you need a pregnancy test?" Some women have sisters.

Lacey was horrified. She thought back to that holiday. Yes, she did a very forgettable steamy night at a drunken party. He had not been any good, she could have done better herself. Lacey felt even more miserable, how long had it been since her last monthly?

Mariah took over, and soon had a pregnancy test for her. Yep, positive. Mariah was full of good advice, "Pray the rosary, and do not be a dimwit. What's his name? You'd better be realistic here, a one night stand. Best to consider all your options. I'm going to be an Aunty!"

Lacey was still reeling, in between trips to the loo. Maybe this too would pass, but her pregnancy was not going to. Finally recovering a bit from her nausea, she considered. Mariah and she were housemates in a largish house in a more affluent suburb. They did have a spare bedroom for the new arrival. Lacey was self-employed, she ran a home-based healing therapies business, trying to attract more clientele. She had studied from a young age, how to heal her clients with her faith-based talents. All very holistic.

Lacey was now a thirty-something, not too shabby single. She usually did not mingle. She had watched all her old friends get married and have kids, some were even heading to the divorce court already. Lacey was going to be a single mother, unless Greg, her one night lover, was really interested in his unborn babe. Lacey had his contact details somewhere in the mess of her handbag.

She started praying the Rosary. She felt a wave of calm washing over her. This baby was really going to be a gift from God, after all. Lacey calculated the dates, she would have her own baby at the Nativity for Christmas this year. At least Mariah had not judged her. Her sister was gay, but had not come from the closet yet.

Lacey had to face a big hurdle, to tell her devout parents. Their reaction did surprise her. Her mother was a bit horrified, but her dad told her Lacey's mum, "Hey, do you recall why we had a shotgun wedding, had to get married? Not we are going to be grandparents!" Then he told Lacey, "Here's a check, buy some things for the nursery.'

Lacey had by then found Greg's email address in her handbag. Hesitantly, she wrote him a sensitive note, wondering if he even remembered her. "This single should not mingle." she told herself. She kept checking her emails, it took him most of the week to respond. Lacey was a gentle woman, she liked a quiet life. Part of her wished she had never drank a single drop of alcohol that party, so unlike her.

Still, Greg's answer did horrify her. "Just get rid of it! I am not ready to be a father. It could be anyone's!" Mariah was all for pursuing Greg for child support, but Lacey was sure she was better off with no dimwit like that. So she prayed the Rosary, and got on with healing everyone else.

Mariah did prove to be a tower of support for her. Soon her baby belly was showing, but Lacey found that it is now the 21st century, everything is a norm. Her clients were supportive, a lot of them were in the New Age movement. She kept on waking up anyway, wishing for a sign. She was not anticipating the actual childbirth, but it was Mother Nature at work.

Lacey tried not to be a dimwit, as her healing therapy business flourished. She was taking care of herself, as Mariah, the expected Aunty, bustled around, preparing everything. Mariah was a marketing expert, so the sisters planned more ways to develop Lacey's business. Mariah did not want Lacey to worry about the financial side of the future ahead.

One month to go, before A for arrival day. Lacey's first client today was Craig, a slightly older widower with his own tale of survival. He had been consulting Lacey for healing massage on his bad back. It was quite a surprise when he entered her healing room, clutching two coffees. "Good morning, Lacey, say hello coffee. I can't thank you enough for all your therapies for me. You've put some pep in my pup!" Lacey grinned shyly. This single should not mingle. Or should she?

Craig was her total opposite in lots of ways. He was tall, she was tiny. He was dark haired, slightly grey. She was blond. He was a calm professional, at the top of his game. He presented in his business suit, still attractive. Lacey felt like a bloated mess.

Hello coffees became quite regular. Lacey took some time off as her due date arrived. Craig kept on visiting. Mariah thought he was quite a sweety, filling up his trousers admirably, nice butt. Not that Lacey noticed, yeah, right. Mariah by now was on an online dating website for like-minded ladies, so Lacey hoped for Mariah's perfect match. Mariah would cross her own bridges one day.

Lacey's baby arrived, her own nativity scene, her gift from God. She soon overlooked the maternity room, and found one form of true love as she nursed her perfect little son. Adorable, and so calm. Lacey scheduled serenity into her feel-good lifestyle. Then Craig turned up with a baby gift, and hello coffee. His eyes melted as he gazed at Lacey's little boy, Jai. "Maybe opposites do attract," she mused.

Mariah was not surprised when Craig asked Lacey to have dinner with him. She told Lacey, "This time, use birth control. It is not rocket science." Lacey agreed, too easy. Just in case. So, soon doves flew, there was romance in the air. Lacey was back at work, using her healing hands. "Pray the Rosary, and do not be a dimwit." She accepted Craig's invitation for an early dinner date one night. Yes, it was like a sign. Love had found her, in more ways than one.

January 27, 2023 22:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Rebecca Miles
19:38 Feb 04, 2023

Sure this is Christian, but anyone can relate to the idea to bring a child into the world with as much hope as possible and how important a community is to that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Martyn
17:52 Feb 04, 2023

A story of a redemptive relationship, it seems. I'd love if you gave my submission a read and if you like it, give it a click or comment (or if you hate it, send to your enemies). It's titled "When Tomorrow Finally Comes" at https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/zl376y/

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.