0 comments

Suspense

12 year old Macie pretended to be reading in the courtyard of their enormous house. In reality, she was eavesdropping by the open window. Listening to the cops explain the details to her parents.

“She was found dead in the alley. Gunshot to the head. I’m so sorry.” The officer spoke gently and slowly, but mother burst out crying. A tear escaped from my father too, as he tried to comfort her.

Macie’s aunt, Jamye Herics, had been found dead in an alley. Jamye was the twin sister of Macie’s mother. They were identical, which made the event even more tragic. They had always been so close. But Macie didn’t like their aunt. She tried to hide it, but her mother knew how she felt. And now, she was dead.

Macie ran over to the courtyard, grabbed her book, and crossed her legs. Seconds later, her parents came out. They looked at each other uneasily, trying to find the best way to break the news.

“Aunt Jamye died.” Macie said.

Her father went to her side and put an arm around Macie’s shoulder, even though she showed no emotion.

***

Macie skipped school the next day to go to Aunt Jamye’s funeral. Her mother put a hand around Macie’s shoulder. Macie shuffled out of the embrace to go look at the casket. She shed a few tears and put her hand on the casket. Soon, the tears were rolling down. She ran to her father and he hugged her tight. Her mother joined in the embrace. You can’t help but cry at a funeral. Jamye’s aunt had nothing. No kids, no husband, not even a pet.

***

A week had passed. Macie returned to school and carried on with her studies. Word traveled quickly. Rumors spread and now everyone thought her aunt had died.

“My aunt didn’t die.” Macie protested.

“It’s okay.” A friend put a comforting hand on her shoulder.

It wasn’t okay. Not really.

***

2 weeks passed. There was a new field trip coming up at Macie’s school.

“I need money for the trip.” Macie told her mother.

Her mother looked at her. “Of course. How much do you need, sweetie?”

Macie’s lip quivered at the mention of the pet name. Aunt Jamye used to call her sweetie.

“$50.” Macie replied, then handed her a sheet of paper. “You also need to sign your name and my name here.”

Her mother wrote down her own name, then wrote down her daughter’s name.

Macie hovered over the paper. “You misspelled my name, mom. It’s with an ie at the end. Not a y.”

Macie sighed. The misspelling reminded her of her aunt. Everything reminded her of her aunt lately.

***

3 weeks passed. Each week, they went to Aunt Jamye’s casket, although Macie wasn’t sure how they would move on with their lives if they visited so frequently. Everytime their aunt’s name was mentioned, Macie would flinch. Mostly because of their past.

***

Macie wondered how her dad could act as if nothing happened. How he could be smiling with her mother and putting his arm around her while Macie was internally broken.

Just a few more days, She told herself.

***

Everyday, Macie would sneak into her parent’s room and check the surveillance camera. Something was off about Aunt Jamye’s death. She would figure out what. Her parents were hiding something. Sometimes she felt as though her parents knew who had killed Aunt Jamye. She would figure it out.

Just a few more days.

***

Macie pretended to be asleep when her mother went to check on her. Then her father entered the room. Then they left. Then she heard arguing. They hadn’t argued before Aunt Jamye had died. Not ever. There was more to Aunt Jamye’s death than a gunshot and an alley. But a few days had passed, and she had no proof of the terrible thing she had found.

***

“Mother.” Macie said so loudly, that her mother flinched. “Why have you stopped talking about Aunt Jamye?”

Her mother looked up from her magazine. “I don’t think I can talk about her, Macie.”

Her voice sounded a little deeper, like she was sick. Macie was getting worried. 4 weeks have passed now. She couldn’t let this go on. This needed to stop.

***

“But dad, I’m telling the truth. Please. You have to believe me.” Macie pleaded, grabbing onto her father’s arm.

Her father shook her out of his grasp. “Macie, I will have no more of this. We won’t talk about it in the morning. We won’t talk about it tonight. We will not talk about it, period. Just drop it.” Her father’s cold voice sent Macie’s head downwards, looking at the floor. 

“Fine. I’ll prove it.” Macie snapped harshly, slamming the door behind her. Then she burst out crying on her bed.

That night at dinner was the worst one yet. They never really talked when they ate, but this time, the silence was eating Macie up like a dark void. Her father’s warning stares weren’t helping much either.

“Maven, you will never believe what Macie was telling me earlier.” Her father started.

Macie’s breath caught in her chest. She knew she would be in big trouble if her mother found out.

“Yes.” Macie blurted out really loudly. “I was telling him about science class. We dissected a frog today.” Her voice was loud, but she felt as small as an ant while speaking.

***

A year later was the anniversary of when Aunt Jamye died. Macie was dressed up in a plain t-shirt and ripped jeans as they walked over to Aunt Jamye’s grave to honor her.

Her dad put an arm over Macie’s shoulder, pulling her tight. “I can’t believe it’s been a year.”

“Everything will be okay.” Macie’s mom said. She smiled, but Macie didn’t return the smile. She wasn’t her mother. Her mother was dead and Aunt Jamye was alive. Macie had all the proof she needed. She also noticed that her mother’s mole was now on the left side of her face.

“You’re right.” Macie smiled. “Everything will be okay.”

September 22, 2023 15:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.