0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

She was no doubt fair to view/As maidens be./But her loveliness I never knew/Until she smiled at me. That briefly describes how Jack fell in love and married Kate. He was tall and handsome and was well-endowed with wealth. Being well educated he held a high level job in a firm. Kate was gifted with talent for sketching and ran her own company designing female apparel. Her creations were greatly appreciated and her name became a famous brand.

Kate’s team included a young man with the unlikely name of Cato. He was very young and  handsome with his trimmed beard, moustache and sideburns. He was the videographer and helped in her designing efforts.

 Christmas season came and Kate took her entire team for a picnic. She was lavish in providing food and drink and her staff were happy to go with her. She distributed gifts to all her staff. They had music and they danced and played games. The highlight of the picnic was a short ride in a hot air balloon. It had a capacity of only 3 besides the pilot. Kate arranged a draw to choose passengers for each trip. It resulted in Kate and two others to travel in the final trip. Though the staff had air travel experience, they were excited to see the earth as they floated overhead.

After the last trip the balloon was anchored when Kate stepped out of the rider cage. She had to climb down two steps to reach ground. It was then that she slipped and fell. Cato who was standing nearby said “She seems to have lost consciousness. We mūst get her to hospital.”

That was done immediately and Kate was revived. Doctors checked and said “She is okay. There is a  wound on her head that needs to be watched. Besides she has dislocated her wrist.”

Jack who had rushed there said “Is it necessary for her to remain in hospital?”

“She may need help for a few days. She can be taken ḥome if you’ve somebody to help.”

Jack made a phone call and after it said “I’ve nursing support.”

“Fine .Our doctor will visit you every evening and advise you.”

Kate was discharged and taken ḥome accompanied by Jack and Cato. Nurse Lily was waiting at Jack’s home for Kate to arrive.

Jack said “Lily you’ve to take care of Kate. You know us. Since you live nearby I’m sure it would be convenient for you.” Lily nodded.

Cato assured Jack of all help and left after all arrangements were complete. The treatment continued two days initially;

Lily was not bad looking. She had lost her dad early and had been forced to discontinue studies and take to nursing. She was ambitious and was waiting for the chance to join as nurse in a prestigious hospital. She had agreed quite enthusiastically to nurse Kate as it waould be easy and rewarding. She had only to regularly give various medicines to Kate, take her blood pressure readings as directed, and assist her in her bath. After duty she would sit musing about her future. She liked Jack no doubt. What will happen if Kate passed on? My marriage has been considerably delayed. I can fit in as Jack’s second wife. But Kate is showing no signs of leaving the world! The doctor comes checks her and says she is better and can be her normal self again. Unless of course .…

Lily had been a good student of nursing and knew the effects of various medicines. She said within herself if only instead of medicine A medicine B which I have could be administered….. . She mused “Perish the thought! It is murder. It is your duty to get patients become well again. I won’t stoop to murder. Let us see how the events unfold.

Kate was improving. Her wrist was healing. Cato would come regularly and talk to Kate and Lily. 

After a week Kate could sit up and talk. Lily knew she couldn’t administer medicine B! She asked herself What if another person administers medicine B? She could……..

 That day Kate suffered more pain in the wrist. The doctor prescribed strong medicines for pain relief and said to Lily “Only two more tablets of this drug can be given. Don’t exceed the dose.”

  Cato who came early to see Kate found her sleeping. He said “Lily, how is Kate?

We’re missing her when some important orders have to be executed.”

“She is almost fully recovered.”

Cato had ordered coffee to be sent there and when it came he gave Lily also a cup and chatted as he liked her. Lily checked the time and said “I wonder if you would do me a favour. My mom wasn’t feeling well when I came for duty here. I’ll quickly go home and check on her. The time now is nearing quarter to four. This tablet has to be given to Kate at 4.”

Cato said “Don’t worry. I’m here and will take care of it. You take your time.”

Lily went out. At 4 Cato was readying to give the tablet to Kate when Lily rushed back. She said “I reported to the doctor and he asked me to discontinue that tablet and instead give this. Thanks for offering to help.” She took back drug B as she had second thoughts. The prescribed tablet was given.

In another week Kate was normal again and was able to move about on her own. Lily continued to stand by for any help. That evening Kate and Jack were seated watching a TV program when Cato came in. Jack said ”Do come in Cato and join us.”

Kate said “Let me get you some tea.”

Cato said “Please don’t bother madam. I’ve to go in a short while as I’ve to receive my mother who is returning from abroad.”

As Lily looked on Jack said “I’ve to convey my heartfelt thanks to you Cato for coming in regularly and keeping Kate company. I know it has speeded up her recovery.”

Cato said ”I treated her like my elder sister because she has been so considerate towards me. I’m also very happy that she is recovered fully.”

Cato said “One more thing Sir. I think Nurse Lily also needs special thanks for regularly coming in time and attending to Kate. I’ve got to know her well. She deserves our gratitude for her dedication.”

Jack said “I fully endorse your sentiment.”

Kate said “She was a great help.”

Cato said “Madam I would like to talk to Lily a few minutes.”

Kate said “She is now free.  Do so.”

Cato laughed and said “I should’ve said talk to her in private.”

Both Jack and Kate said with smiles “Go ahead.”

Cato turned to Lily and said “Join me. Let’s go for a walk.” She joined him with alacrity!

END

January 17, 2023 12:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.