You want a ride, gentleman?

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

5 comments

Mystery

Her head lays on my knees near the road side. Her left cheek has a scratch. You couldn't tell by just looking at her face that she has been hit. Her determined eyes are fierce like a lioness. Her limbs seem to be out of place now, possibly the bones there lost their place. And her green polka dot shirt is shredded and soiled with blood. She spits and jerks her head thrice.  

"Please tell Mia , her mom will have got her back... always." she huffs and struggles to breath. Her eyeball wobbles.

"Sure ma'am, stay with me. Let me find some help." I wail and look around only to find a lone cycle amidst rose petals .I look in my pocket in panic.

I cannot believe this! I am amidst the woods with a dying woman.

Idiot, I dropped my phone somewhere .

***

I stroll on the golden sands of Tarina. It feels pillow soft to my worn-out feet. Far off in the lush, crystal blue sky a lone falcon glides over the waters. The fading sun kisses the sea intimately and leaves orange remnants of its love in the sapphire blue waves.

 

In the distance, I see my girl. Her pine hazel eyes meet mine and an angelic smile stretches her lips . She brushes back her silky brown hair and jogs over to me. Her glass bangles chimes in unison.

 

I spread my arms to welcome her. Her figure comes closer. I move my hand to trace her face ... but I find a cold bed beside me.

 

Great.

 

And that is when I realize I left my girl back home.

 

I massage my temples to shoo away all the remainders of sleep and think of a hot shower.

 

So I get up.

***

I am running. I lost the woman only few minutes ago. And now I don't know if I am running for her or running from her. But the distance between us is increasing and I am slightly only just slightly happy about it.

 

A flock of starlings curtain the sky while the mourning sun prepares to dip. The trees rush by too fast. The road seems to end at infinity. And the smell of tea leaves make me nauseous.

 

I catch sight of terrace tower of the hotel I am staying in. Adrenaline pumps in with newfound awareness and my legs work harder to achieve it.

 

By the time I reach I am dripping with sweat and my heart beats louder than the reception's song.

 

***

" U up babe ☺♥???"

"Yeah , had shower. ☻"

"Wish I was there. Meeting's boring"

" I know babe . They always r!!!"

"Where 2 now?"

"♦Jog♦"

"Ok love ♥♥♥. B home soon☺. 3 days seem sooooooo much!."

" Yeah babe ♥ home in no time."

"C you, my presentation's here. XOXO"

"Yep , all the best honey ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥"

 

Life couldn’t get better than this. I have the best paying job, the best home and the best girl. I wear my khaki pants and navy blue shirt while thinking how my life has been unfolding now. I make a small prayer of thanks, strap my limited edition French smartwatch and carry my lilton water bottle with myself. I jump down the stair in happiness of 'no work and all play.' The success after forty eight hours of convincing your business partner to not give up on the project can make you behave so childish.

 

I am staying in the fifth floor though it might sound like nothing but in a hill station ,that's heaven's floor. The hotel isn't popular but well maintained. And the wood interiors entices me. Maybe I can come with my girl this summer .

 

I wave at the reception lady and she bows back. She is a Czech Republican. Although I cannot distinguish one European from another but she says her accent gives away her nationality. Nice lady.

 

I walk out of hotel area and breathe in the freshness of daffodils and crocuses. It is a wonderful place. Good weather, no pollution and most importantly no crowd. Nature is so recreational.

 

***

 

This is so unbelievable. Hours ago I left with so much positivity in my mind. And now I am panicking for a dead lady who I don't know and who is not dead because of me. I look through the translucent manager's door. I see he is arranging some papers and talking on phone. I knock on the door hard. He doesn't notice.

I knock again. He doesn't budge...not even a Nano- bit. Maybe he is ignoring me. I know people do that when they have too much in their plate. I did it myself thrice. I know.

 

But this intrusion is important. It is about a life and I won't let him snub it. I try the door but it is jammed.

 

I shout out " MANAGER" " SIR, MANAGER" but it seems like his door is soundproof. I let go and dash to the stairs in lookout for some hotel staff.

 

***

"Hey!" a woman hovering above says. I try to open my eyes but the blinding rays of the sun inhibits any attempts. 

"Hey." I manage to speak.

" Just making sure you weren't dead." she says and giggles. " You know people only lay near road side when they are dying and can't find help."

I sit up and look at the woman's face. She is petite and she looks local. Her black hair have silver streaks due to the reflection of blinding light. And her eyes have a motherly tone in the circumference of rich brownness although she can't be much older than me.

" No " I rub the back of my neck where grass pieces were tickling. " I was just resting after some exercise."

She raises both her eyebrows and throw back her head in laughter while I sit there cross-legged and wonder why is she laughing.

 

***

 

I see the reception lady going down by the lift. She has a phone attached to her ear and she looks in tension. She is chipping away her nail polish and tapping her feet in hurry.

 

I try to follow her through the flight of stairs but when I manage to reach the ground floor she is already into the manager's office.

 

I knock again but in vain. Its all too much.

 

I bend on my knees and cry. I feel helpless and exhausted. Sadly tears don't fall down but my vision is blurry and my voice box tightens . I don't think I cried like this ever. It feels….intense.

 

***

"You want a ride, gentleman?" she asks in her sweet voice. Her hands clutch the handlebars of a red cycle with a flower basket.

 

" Nope . Thank you. " I reply and give a salute.

" Ok . See you around." she say and returns my salute. She tinkers the bell and peddles down the road.


She leaves behind the music of her laughter and the mystery behind it.

 

I stretch my body and yawn. I think of a quite dinner of salmon fish and white wine tonight. Eight thousand steps that is what my limited edition French smartwatch says. I am satisfied.

 

***

I sit in the longue sofa and cry my heart out. I wipe the nothingness out of my eyes and bury my head underneath my arms.

 

Hours pass by. Maybe years pass by. And then I hear the siren. No maybe three sirens.

 

I raise my head only to find my girl sitting beside me. She is weeping. Her eyes are red and she has abrasion on her nose due to excessive wiping.

 

I touch her but she doesn't look into my eyes. She is numb.

"Babe" I say but the manager calls her and she walks away. Am I dead or what? People are ignoring me. GOD . What did I do?

 

I follow her outside. It is some night now. The moon isn't in for duty today. An old eagle watches the show from the branch of the apple tree.

 

And then I see the guy in khaki pants and bloodied navy blue shirt. One of his arms is missing. His forehead has a big pinkish bump. And he has the same limited edition French smart watch as mine in the un-missing arm. His eyes are closed. Deep slumber .

 

Wait!

 

I look at my right arm and it is transparent. I can see through it. This can't be happening. I catch hold of my girl's arm but she is out of my sight now. Gone in a car along with manager, the receptionist and the ambulance.

 

"Hey" I hear the familiar voice.

I look behind me and turn to face her. The woman with the red cycle.

"Hey. What happened? Am I…am I dead?" I scratch my head. She cycles to me and gets off keeping her hands on the handle bar. I see the old eagle patrolling above our heads.

" Yes, you are, Long before I did." she whispers.

"But how? Why?" I box the air away in frustration.

 She turns around and walks with her cycle up till a distance.

"We have the whole journey to talk about it" She picks a white rose from her basket and sniffs it. She looks above at the moonless sky and sighs.

" You want a ride, gentleman?"

April 12, 2020 13:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Robert Mackey
14:48 Apr 23, 2020

I agree with the post below. Lots of editing problems. Nice story. Maybe a little too much description of things and places in the beginning.

Reply

Kavya Pillai
09:29 May 07, 2020

Thanks Robert for your time and tip. It urges me to get better at writing and editing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crystal Lewis
05:30 Apr 19, 2020

I like your descriptions of everything. I think that the split timeline sort of thing was cleverly done and tied together well. The hints were well placed too, as when you look back you can start to tell what's happened even before it's revealed. Just as a tip though, make sure to edit thoroughly as there were some typos that distracted me from the story a bit.

Reply

Kavya Pillai
09:28 Apr 20, 2020

Thanks for your time, appreciation and tip. It means a lot to me. I'll pay more attention to editing next time

Reply

Crystal Lewis
14:26 Apr 20, 2020

You’re very welcome 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.