The Wind in the Willows

Written in response to: Write a story titled 'The Wind in the Willows'.... view prompt

2 comments

Contemporary Fiction Romance


Aurora Martin needed to decompress, so she took a walk. Thankfully, the weather had finally warmed enough for her baby blue cardigan, more than adequate for such a lovely April afternoon. The breeze cooled the flush on her skin, a result of little sleep and way too much caffeine, her way of life with the end of the semester looming.

Aurora’s latest article would be published in the fall, but the book she’d begun in the fall was no closer to completion this month. She produced three articles and a novella each year, prior to her illness; with her recovery, a return to the expected productivity, coupled with her classes and research brought a crushing load of pressure she no longer wished to shoulder.

So, she decided to free herself, if only momentarily.

The campus abutted a nature preserve, a town landmark. Aurora discovered a hidden entrance several years ago, when she decided to hold her seminar on Thoreau in the woods to inspire her students as they wrote their final essays; which her students loved. Today, the shudder and sway of the towering trees created a tune sweeter than the melodies on her forgotten phone that soothed her restless soul. 

Aurora had dreamed of days similar to this one during her extended hospital stay, vowing to recover enough to stroll through a Spring day again, healthy and energized. She also used these walks to build her stamina for her ultimate challenge-a hike in the Italian Alps during her vacation in late June until the holiday weekend in July. Her trainer suggested that she walk at least 5 miles daily, increasing the duration and distance to prepare her, though her initial excitement about her upcoming journey had waned in the face of her professional challenges. 

Aurora drifted further into the preserve, the muscles in her neck looser and her head a bit lighter. She crossed a narrow bridge above Strawberry Pond. Cattails, buttercups, and lily pads dotted the placid water, and the entire stretch composed a stunning photo. A faint honking of waterfowl added a welcome soundtrack. Later, Aurora breathed the unexpectedly overpowering scent of the gorgeous white pines. She read somewhere that the first whiff of air on a Spring day was one of life’s greatest pleasures. When she rounded a curve, Aurora recognized a weeping willow, greener and lusher than one might expect to find, tittering and waving like a long lost friend. 

Then, she saw him, just beyond the tree line, and a shiver raced across Aurora’s neck and crawled down her back. She never encountered anyone else during her walks out here. He wore a white crew neck sweater and scarf wrapped around his slender neck, and he resembled someone she’d met, but she could not clearly recall the circumstances of that meeting.

“Hello?” Aurora pulled her sweater tighter to camouflage her trembling hands.

“Are you alone?”

Aurora cast a backward glance at the path, as she considered her response and the distance back to a more populated section of the park.

“I don’t mean to scare you, I didn’t know anyone else knew about this area,” The man stepped back, palms facing the sky.

“I teach at the college, and I just needed a break.” Aurora folded her arms, her back to the trees, increasing the distance between them.

“I know, I’ve seen you there.’ He inched toward her, and when the breeze swept through the willows, knocking Aurora off-balance. 

“I’ve got you.” He grasped her elbow before she grazed the grass. When she reestablished her stance, he released his grip, his fingertips feather light along her waist.

“Thank you.” Her voice registered slightly above a whisper.

“My pleasure. David Johnson, I’m a guest lecturer this semester.” Aurora kept her hands pinned to her sides, and he dropped his outstretched hand.

“So sorry, it’s getting a bit cool, and I need to get back to my office.” Aurora took small backwards steps. She didn’t feel threatened, but she shuddered at the idea of David offering to walk with her.

“Well, I guess we could walk in the same direction, and not do it together, if you prefer. But really, I wouldn’t mind seeing this part with you.” David faced her, and nothing about him screamed annoying stranger. His lips twitched upward, and he shifted a messenger bag on his left shoulder, hardly large enough for a lethal implement.

“It is lovely this time of year.” 

Aurora relished her invisibility to men, her favorite part of aging; David was likely no less than five years her junior. A quick check of hands and wrists noted only a gleaming silver bracelet on his left, a gift from a girlfriend?

She inhaled slowly and stretched to her full height, her chilly right hand extended. “Aurora Martin, nice to meet you.”

They strolled the path, their shoulders bumping on the bridge. Aurora stifled the rush of energy flowing from the point of contact, and avoided David’s gaze. The willows swayed a seductive rhythm, and Aurora squelched the urge to pose questions to David. She loved her solitude, and she hoped he would take the hint to abandon this path and take another route back to the heart of campus.

At the clearing near the edge of university property, David turned to Aurora.

“May I ask just one question before you go?” His smile surprised her, and he seemed to search her eyes for some shred of recognition and understanding.

Aurora shrugged. “Yes?”

“Would you meet me here, same time next Tuesday, and I’ll show you another path? There are less trees, but more flowers and an even prettier pond I think you’d love.” David tapped her elbow, and she nearly leaned into his touch.

“If the wind is calmer, and the temperature is a bit warmer, of course.”

They shook hands, and Aurora was unsure where his fingers ended and hers began. Their eyes met, and a wave of warmth swept through her. She was grateful for the wind blowing her direction on such a picture perfect day.



May 03, 2024 00:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Helen A Smith
08:45 May 05, 2024

Nice touches to this story. You depicted a hidden backstory which made Aurora an interesting character. I liked the way David was able to share her space without trespassing and there was potential for more. Solitude at its best when there’s someone to share it with.

Reply

Jennifer Luckett
01:47 May 10, 2024

Thanks! I like your sentiment about solitude! I appreciate your analysis, since I'm working on improving my character development.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.