2 comments

Romance

"Happy New Year" "Happy New Year her office mates waved to Patty as they left he office early to get ready for their dates. Patty, the office manager, stayed behind to lock the office doors.

Patty was a pretty girl with beautiful blonde curls. She was always smiling and everyone in the office loved her. Many on her staff wondered why she did not have a boyfriend or at least go on some blind dates.

Patty was not in a rush as she did not have a date for New Years nor did have a date all year. She began to realize that she was working so hard for so long that she never had a chance to socialize and meet new friends.

Her New Years resolution was to allow herself time for friends and fun. However for this year she decided to come home and make herself a sandwich, pour a glass of wine and sit by the fire and read. The red wine made her drowsy and she fell asleep.

A loud ring on the phone caused her to wake up. "Who would call me at 8:30 PM on New Years eve. She reached over and picked up the receiver. She heard a deep male voice say "Hi Patty. How have you been? This is Barry. Do you remember me? "Of course I do. We met at Amy and John's wedding. I dropped my evening bag and you bent down to retrieve it at the same time I found it and we both banged our heads together and laughed. I also remembered the good time we had together during the reception. Where have you been all this time."

"Soon after the wedding I received a call from my naval commander that I had tom go on duty ASAP. I had no time to call anybody. Two days ago I got permission to get of the ship for a few days. Amy had texted me that she and John were having a New Years party. I asked her if Patty would be at the party. Amy suggested I call you and explain if Patty would understand this quick invitation. I hope she will say yes.

Patty thought about it for a few moments then told Barry she would like to join him and all the other guests. She gave him her address and told him to give her thirty minutes to dress. "Oh by the way Amy said dress will be casual."

The bell rang and Patty opened the door. There stood Barry looking more handsome than Patty remembered him. He was well built with dark black hair and soft blue eyes. He kissed Patty on both cheeks, helped her on with her coat and was ready to go. Barry said "I only had time to run into the wine store so I am bringing two bottles of wine to the party.

It took them about fifteen minutes to reach Amy and John's house. They rang the door bell and both Amy and John ran to hug them and welcome them into their home.

Introductions were made although many of the guests knew each other.

Everyone was laughing, dancing, drinking and eating. They were all having a great time. The clock was slowly reaching twelve and the TV was put on. All the guests started counting down from ten to one. At exactly midnight everyone was hugging and kissing and sing Auld Lan Syne.

Sometime after midnight the guests were starting to leave. Patty and Barry had a great time and Patty certainly wanted to see more of Barry and she told him so. Barry promised to call her the next day.

By some luck Barry was able to get tickets for a Broadway show which they enjoyed tremendously. The both walk out laughing and singing. Barry had made reservations at a posh restaurant where they loved the food while they spent a quite of bit of time talking and laughing together.

They talked about so many things. Barry was a JAG Corps lawyer in the legal arm of the United States Army. He had joined the Navy when he was very young and enjoys the work he does. Eventually when his service is over he would love to buy a house near the water. Patty also told him that she always wanted to live near the ocean. The talked about politics and books they both enjoyed. The both loved shows and the same music. The two of them were having a wonderful time together and it was obvious they cared about one another.

They also knew they would be separated since Barry had to get back to his ship and his naval activities. Before he left they decided they would continue their relationship as good friends sending e-mails and texts and phone calls.

A few months later Barry sent a love letter to Patty and surprised her with a promise he would see her soon. She had no ideal how soon was soon. She only wished they would be together very shortly.

It was a cool and rainy day when Patty came to work. Suddenly it was more the just rain. It turned into a thunder storm followed by flooding the streets. Because of the storm Patty decided to eat in the cafeteria of the office building. She was sitting at the table lunching with some co-workers when one remarked "Who is that gorgeous sailor boy that just waked into the cafeteria. Patty was busy talking with one of her friends when she turned and saw Barry in his sailor uniform. She ran to him and they were both hugging and kissing one another. "I can't believe you are here" she said. "I missed you so much." "My love" Barry said. "I could not wait to see you. I thought of you every single day. The Navy vessel I am on will be moving into the harbor in New York City in a few weeks and I will be very close to you for quite a long time. We will have a lot more time together and every day with you makes me so very happy."

Patty and Barry turned from good friends to happy lovers. They were together every moment they could. They both said at the same time "You are the love of my life" as Barry knelt and put a beautiful engagement ring on Patty's finger.

They were together for another full year when they were married and had a beautiful ceremony with Amy as maid-in honor and John was his best man.

As the guest left everyone shouted out "Happy New Year" "Happy New Year.

.

December 27, 2021 21:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

10:42 Jan 07, 2022

Your love story was very touching, and I enjoyed reading it. Can I please urge you to edit your work by reading and re-reading it before submitting it? You have a few spelling and grammar issues that I am sure you’d pick up if you read it through. Please keep reading and writing because the more you read and write, the easier it becomes to pick up on these issues. If I can suggest an app for you, it would be Grammarly. It’s free, and it helps with story writing. It allows you to see and correct any spelling or grammar issues. I use it con...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stevie B
12:17 Jan 02, 2022

That was a sweet story, Sheila, and I really enjoyed reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.