Be Profitable & Multiply

Submitted into Contest #243 in response to: Write a story from the point of view of a non-human character.... view prompt

2 comments

Christian Fiction

"Trust me,” the Creator said. “Be fruitful and multiply. Exercise the gifts, skills, and abilities I gave you. Don’t sit on them."

Having heard the Creator’s mandate, the three cohorts met to discuss The Entrepreneur’s dilemma but the meeting soon turned contentious as each one argued about who was the greatest and most important to The Entrepreneur. Each one wanted to have the best seat in The Entrepreneur’s business.

The first cohort stated its case. “Well, I capitalize on The Entrepreneur’s creativity so that it has first-mover advantage! What can possibly be more important than that?”

The second cohort refuted “Without me, The Entrepreneur’s business would never change and stay up to date!

Adding more fuel to the argument, the third cohort shot back, “I’m better than both of you because without me, The Entrepreneur would never take any risks! 

“Oh yeah?” One asked in anger.

“Yeah!,” Another stated fiercely.

“Well, what about the 2nd Entrepreneur?,” asked the last cohort with forcefulness.

“It doesn’t matter if The Entrepreneur’s focus is for profit or not for profit! I’m still more important than either of you!”

Round and round they went. Back and forth they continued to argue and rebut each other’s claims with no resolution in sight.

Having come to no conclusion, the cohorts decided to take the matter to the Creator. “We’ll let the all-wise Creator decide who’s greatest!

Upon hearing their arguments, the Creator spoke and said, “It is true each of you are important for The Entrepreneur’s success but neither of you is more important than the other. At certain moments of The Entrepreneur’s journey, one or more of you will be more active and necessary for business purposes. But neither of you is greater than the other. Let’s go back to the beginning.”

In the beginning, the Creator created business, but business was without form … brimming with much potential but it was void due to non-productivity. There was nothing to cultivate its growth. The Creative Spirit (also known as the Counselor) hovered over the landscape but business was stagnate.

Both, the Creator and the Counselor knew something was needed to develop and operate business. So the Creator said, “Let there be entrepreneurship” and saw that entrepreneurship was good. 

Next, the Creator set aside seven days to put the additional business components in place. The concepts of vision and mission were created on the first and second days. The vision was the igniting force for business. The mission, on the other hand, was the purpose for the business existence. 

Cash and donations were provided for business on the third day while other elements like employees, volunteers and in some cases, board members were added on the fourth day.

Operations, systems and processes were formulated on the fifth day. The finishing touches for business were applied on the sixth Day. The seventh day was designated as a day of rest from work. Rest would be important to refresh and rejuvenate one’s faculties.

Yet, there was still something missing. Something was needed to run the business. One day the Creator, in consultation with the Counselor and I, decided, “Let us make the Entrepreneur in our own image, in our likeness.” So the Creator formed The Entrepreneur and outfitted it with all the elements needed to be successful in business – whether for profit or not for profit. The Entrepreneur was placed in the Garden of Business to operate it. 

Additionally, the Creator gave The Entrepreneur specific instructions. "I created you with the perfect entrepreneurial orientation. You are free to partake of any tree in the Garden but you must not partake of the Tree of Income & Expenses. If you do, you will surely lose your entrepreneurial orientation. "

Looking around the Garden, The Entrepreneur saw all the components necessary for business. Money was always on hand to operate and grow the business. Profitability was never an issue. The staff teams were satisfied with work conditions. Their compensation was more than fair. They also shared in business successes. There was no dissension between management and staff. Each component worked in a cohesive manner for the benefit of the organization. They knew that if the organization succeeded, they too succeeded. 

There were no weak links on the team. Each component did their part to ensure success. Operations were effective and efficient. Quality products and services were provided. Consumer needs were always met. There was continual innovation. There was always adjusting and adapting in business and there were no complaints. Industry barriers did not exist. Yes, all was well in the Garden of Business. Everything was perfect. Success was inevitable. 

Yet, not everything in the Garden was happy. Watching and waiting in the midst stood the Adversary. It was looking for the right moment to strike. It despised the Creator and it was committed to exacting its revenge at just the right time.  

“Well, well, what do we have here?,” the Adversary thought unto itself. “Looks like this Entrepreneur is the apple of the Creator’s eye. We’ll see about that!” Not wanting to be seen right then, the Adversary slithered off with thoughts of planning the best moment for retaliation.

The Entrepreneur met with the Creator every day for communion and to receive instructions. The Creator shared the vision, mission and imparted wisdom for operating business. The Entrepreneur also learned topics like value creation, quality control, customer satisfaction, technology and more. 

The Entrepreneur was grateful to have this daily Masterclass on “All Things Business.” It did not have to want for any business knowledge because it was continually being filled by the Creator with information. The Creator mentored the Entrepreneur every step of the way. 

One day the Creator was admiring the Garden and noticed something. “Although business is good, the responsibilities to operate it are very heavy.” They were so heavy that The Entrepreneur strained under the weight of it all.

The Entrepreneur handled every aspect of business including but not limited to marketing, finance, accounting, personnel, management, media, strategic planning, and sales. However, there was something needed to handle the “not for profit” side of business. So, from The Entrepreneur, the Creator removed the social service and “not for profit” aspects and created a 2nd Entrepreneur.

The Creator instructed both entrepreneurs, “Be fruitful and multiply. Exercise the gifts, skills, and abilities I gave you. Don’t sit on them.”

Together, the two entrepreneurs balanced each other, and both carried out the mission to be fruitful and multiply. They were equal in essence but different in function. 

The 1st Entrepreneur focused on its fruit of producing goods and services whereas the 2nd Entrepreneur focused on producing fruitful initiatives to increase the quality of life. Upon separating out the different responsibilities, business flourished even more and the quality of life expanded. The Creator observed all that was created and saw that it was good...and so it was…. 

One day, The Adversary, disguised as Premiere Success, approached the 2nd Entrepreneur to present an irresistible business proposition. 

Upon seeing that the 2nd Entrepreneur’s interest was piqued, the Adversary continued to feed its mind with more false notions. “Surely you will not lose your entrepreneurial orientation if you partake of the Tree of Income and Expenses. In fact, if you partake, your success rate will flourish even more. Go ahead and try it. One look, one taste won’t hurt you,” said the Adversary.

The 2nd Entrepreneur could not hold out any longer. The Tree just looked too appealing. It gave into the Adversary’s temptation and nothing terrible happened.

“See how easy that was?” the Adversary asked in deception.

“Yes it was. It was very easy. I have to share this with The Entrepreneur.” 

Upon finding it working in the Garden, The 2nd Entrepreneur explained what happened. “You should really taste this. It’s too good to pass up.”

The Entrepreneur was conflicted. The Tree looked very appealing and it knew the Creator gave specific instructions not to partake. “But what harm would it do?,” The Entrepreneur thought to itself. 

The Entrepreneur gave in, immersing itself in income and expenses. The results were immediate as it lost its orientation and things continued to fall apart. Business failed. Bankruptcies emerged with multiple chapters. Unethical and abusive business practices abounded. Scams and scam artists popped up…. Jobs were lost. Unemployment skyrocketed. The business economy was in peril. Greed was on the rise. The quality of life diminished.

Upon seeing the effects of its decision, The Entrepreneur was ashamed. “After all this, how can I face the Creator? What can I say? I know what I can do. I’ll hide out from the Creator so I can find a way to cover up this mess.” Yet, the more it tried, the worse things became. Business problems escalated. The Entrepreneur tried harder to cover up the mess but it was pointless. Business was now out of control and so was the quality of life. 

After reexamining at the mess, The Entrepreneur became even more ashamed, distraught, and anxious. It dreaded having the conversation with the Creator. It asked itself, “What can I do before I meet with the Creator?” The Entrepreneur realized there was nothing it could do but accept the consequences of its actions. Its anxiety increased as it heard the Creator walking in the Garden.

“Where are you?,” asked the Creator. 

The Entrepreneur froze in fear. Knowing the meeting was inevitable, The Entrepreneur finally stepped forward in sadness and much regret. “I heard you walking in the Garden and I was afraid. So I hid.”

“What happened? Did you eat from the Tree that I specifically told you not to?,” asked the Creator.

The Entrepreneur decided to play the blame game. “It was their fault. If it weren’t for that 2nd Entrepreneur You created and that snake of Premiere Success, I would not have partaken of the Tree.”

“No! I gave YOU the instructions! I will deal with you later! Wait here until I return. Do not move!,” the Creator commanded.

The Creator, the Counselor and I met to evaluate the matter further. “Because The Entrepreneur has now become like one of us knowing income and expenses. It must not be allowed to reach out and take from the Tree of Income & Expenses ever again. Both entrepreneurs must now toil to earn their keep and achieve success. There is no time to waste. They must leave the Garden immediately.”

The Creator revisited both Entrepreneurs. “Entrepreneur, because you have done this, you will work hard all the days of your life in order to be profitable. You will have to establish and operate organizations that generate profits. You will no longer have unlimited access to the resources you once had to operate business. Inevitable success is no more. Instead, you will have to achieve it through hard work. No longer will you have to be fruitful and multiply. Your assignment now is to be profitable and multiply. Your new name is For-Profit.” 

The punishments kept coming. Each Entrepreneur took turns blaming the other, but not so with the Adversary. The Adversary lingered in the shadows witnessing the exchange. Laughing to itself and relishing every moment with glee, it declared “Victory!”

Sensing the Adversary’s thoughts, the Creator brought the Adversary to the forefront right away and said, “Because you instigated all this, you will never prosper. You will be forced to beg all the days of your life, scraping up what you can to support yourself. You will forever chase success but never achieve it.

Turning to the 2nd Entrepreneur, the Creator issued another punishment. “In order to operate, you will have to continually seek or sometimes apply for funds all the days of your life. You will have to rely on donations and fundraisers to generate income. In most cases, it will be a competitive process for getting funds. You therefore must be even more creative and ingenious to function because you don’t have the advantages of a ‘for-profit’ organization. Your new name is Non-Profit. Your assignment is to establish and operate charitable organizations that help improve the quality of life.

So the Creator banished both the 1st and 2nd Entrepreneurs from the Garden forever, never to return. Outside of the Garden, the Entrepreneurs were disoriented.

They had no business resources at their disposal. Instead, they must now work hard to acquire them. Their new mission was also clear: If they wanted to be successful again, they must regain the elements of business. But how? Where would they begin?

By the way, you may be wondering how I know all this took place. That’s because I was there in the beginning with the Creator and the Counselor. I am the Champion. I must get ready and go ahead of the Entrepreneurs to begin the clean-up process for the mess that was made. They will need Me in the future on their journey to success. 

March 29, 2024 23:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ayanna Burns
09:59 Apr 06, 2024

Thank you so much for your feedback. I truly appreciate the encouragement and may you have much success on your writing journey.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kritika Bhasin
05:54 Apr 04, 2024

Wow! This was so interesting to read. I like how you took so many ideas and beautifully put them together into one story. I completely saw the references to the Garden of Eden and the seven days of the week. You incorporated the different aspects of business and how profit works. All of this was well thought out. I, especially, liked the ending where you were the champion. Well done

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.