Leave Lily Alone.

Written in response to: Start your story with the words: “Grow up.”... view prompt

7 comments

Contemporary

"... And so you see, if you place a fairy door against a tree, then fairies will come and give you a present. Come see this old coin they gifted me. It must be really special."


"Oh, grow up Lily. You know that legend isn't real. That 'special' coin you got is probably just from your parents, but you're too dumb to realise."


"But I believe that the legend is real."


"Whatever. What you believe means nothing Lily, you know that? Nothing."


Miss Rose spoke. "Now, now, Ethan. Don't be rude. Lily, your passion project was beautiful. Do you buy the fairy doors or make them?"


"I painted them myself! Here, let me show you one. "


"How interesting! I'm sure you'll grow to be quite the artist. Very talented."


***


That was what Lily remembered of that day when she first shared her ideas with the world. She was thirteen years old, way too old to be painting fairy doors as her passion.


Stupid, She told herself. Stupid, stupid stupid. You knew they would make fun of you, why couldn't your passion project be something else?

Something less... you. Sweet, cute, innocent little Lily.


Her painting skills were not good, she was sure her teacher was only trying to be nice. Very talented at messing things up, probably.


I believe in magic, and you should too! Let's all become friends over this unrealistic fantasy! And while we're at it, let me show you all the pretty objects the 'fairies' left me.


She knew her thoughts and ideas were terrible, yet somehow throughout her whole life she could never stop expressing them.


Her artwork was trash, yet she continued. Almost everything she did she was bad at, yet she still continued. Why would I do that to myself? Why?


***


Artist? Never. Creative? No, just a dreamer. With terrible, terrible ideas. 

April 01, 2022 13:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

13:05 Apr 01, 2022

Hey everyone, I know this might be a little bit short and boring to you, but I'm trying to teach a really important lesson with this- so please don't be negative.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Nice, short, sweet. Don't stop dreaming. Never stop believing. I have wanted a horse as long as I can remember. I talk about when, not if, I will have one, or more. A DREAM written down with a date becomes a GOAL. A GOAL broken down into steps becomes a PLAN. A PLAN backed by ACTION becomes REALITY.

Reply

13:04 Apr 04, 2022

Thank you so much! Yes!!! I love that!

Reply

Hey Kate! How are you?

Reply

11:29 Apr 11, 2022

I'm doing all right. You?

Reply

Very well. Why did you change your bio?

Reply

18:06 Apr 19, 2022

I just thought it needed a change! Do you prefer the old one?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.